• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The War On Wisdom

Zam-Zam

Senator
This quotation obfuscates the distinction that wisdom is a small subset of total knowledge.

It's more logical to imagine that the abundance & proliferation of non-wisdom knowledge (the torque spec. on the main crankshaft bearings in a 1988 Cummings Diesel) should amplify or magnify wisdom?

Even the layman should understand, more information would be more likely to displace wisdom than to intensify it.
That's a fair point. Access to more and more information also means access to more and more rubbish that distracts from valuable knowledge. The onus is one the individual to make the distinction and act on it accordingly.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
Again, I was hoping for an exchange based on thoughts and ideas, and not one based on personalities and name-calling.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
From a snowflake liberal like Prager? Fine... here you go:

Ignorance is Virtue!

Those values included, in their words: “Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.”
Good post, and it's interesting, and more than a little sad, that the modern left 100% opposes absolutely everything in the above paragraph. In the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, they opposed it clandestinely. In the last nearly 20 years it's been right out in the open, never more so than after the left lost their collective minds in November of 2016.

freyasman

Senator
Trump is corrupt, incompetent, and dishonest. Representing right-wing values since 2016.
Then perhaps you should all start giving some consideration to what the rest of us want, because if you keep [Unwelcome language removed] around in the same direction, we're going to keep doing this shit to you.

freyasman

Senator
I was hoping that, rather than discussing people, we could discuss thoughts and ideas. I realize some here struggle with conceptual exchanges rather than personal ones, so if you don't think you're quite up to it. I understand. If, on the other hand, you'd care to engage without bringing personalities into the thread, that would be more than welcome.
I really like the way you always strive for honest discussion, but it's kind of hard to find that around here these days. I appreciate you not giving up on it though.

A little food for thought on a Tuesday:

There is more knowledge available today than ever before in history. But few would argue people are wiser than ever before.

On the contrary, many of us would argue that we are living in a particularly foolish time — a period that is largely wisdom-free, especially among those with the most knowledge: the best educated.

The fact that one of our two major political parties is advocating lowering the voting age to 16 is a good example of the absence of wisdom among a large segment of the adult population. What adult deems 16-year-olds capable of making a wise voting decision? The answer is an adult with the wisdom of a 16-year-old — “Hey, I’m no wiser than most 16-year-olds. Why should I have the vote and they not?”

America has been influenced and is now being largely led by members of the baby-boom generation. This is the generation that came up with the motto “Never trust anyone over 30,” making it the first American generation to proclaim contempt for wisdom as a virtue.

The left in America is founded on the rejection of wisdom. It is possible to be on the left and be kind, honest in business, faithful to one’s spouse, etc. But it is not possible to be wise if one subscribes to leftist (as opposed to liberal) ideas.

Last year, Amy Wax, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, co-authored an opinion piece in the Philadelphia Inquirer with a professor from the University of San Diego School of Law in which they wrote that the “bourgeois culture” and “bourgeois norms” that governed America from the end of World War II until the mid-1960s were good for America, and that their rejection has caused much of the social dysfunction that has characterized this country since the 1960s.

Those values included, in their words: “Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.”

Recognizing those norms as universally beneficial constitutes wisdom. Rejection of them constitutes a rejection of wisdom — i.e. foolishness.

Complete text: http://www.dennisprager.com/the-war-on-wisdom/
And the pendulum swings back and forth as it always has taking humanity from one extreme to the other with precious little time spent in the centrist/moderate center. And the ships too big to move. All one can hope for is that your 80 years or so are spent in an agreeable position along the spectrum.

Zam-Zam

Senator
I really like the way you always strive for honest discussion, but it's kind of hard to find that around here these days. I appreciate you not giving up on it though.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I realize I may be swimming against the prevailing current, but tis better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness, no?....:>)

Zam-Zam

Senator
And the pendulum swings back and forth as it always has taking humanity from one extreme to the other with precious little time spent in the centrist/moderate center. And the ships too big to move. All one can hope for is that your 80 years or so are spent in an agreeable position along the spectrum.
You sound as if you are resigned to go whichever way the wind is currently blowing, with no rudder to hold the course.......

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
It appears to be up to yours, unfortunately.

I believe you could do better, but then, what do I know?
You obviously don't know as much as you think you know, and you are admitting so.

That's better, and any time you are tempted to think a thought or ponder wisdom, remember the motto: Ignorance is Virtue!

You sound as if you are resigned to go whichever way the wind is currently blowing, with no rudder to hold the course.......
I personally will go in the direction of my own morals and ideology. But it seemed your complaint was over matters fully out of your hands. ;)