• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Walloped in Biggest Parliamentary Defeat in British History

I mean dissolve Parliament and let the old girl run the whole show.

I am sure after a few heads are lopped off the rest will fall in line with her agenda.
She has no powers now - the Royal prerogative belongs to the executive - they took her last powers long ago.

Spamature

President
So, you meant that the politicians reaction was a knee jerk? Some were very ready for a Leave vote - it is, to a great extent, because of the Conservative anti EUers that we got a referendum and they were and are ready BUT they were not 'allowed' to take the driving seat to take us out. May was a remainer and she is surrounded by remainers.

Why should we have a deal before we leave? No-one voted for a deal - If you want to leave a job do you first make a deal with a boss who wants you to stay in his company in order to leave? Ffs we have been in the EU for less than 50 years - how on Earth did we survive before ????? Do you suppose we shall sink now? France is at a stand still parts of it on a lock down - the Police are about to start shooting the Yellow Vests, they are already tear gassing them from helicopters - parts of Europe are on fire - we all want OUT of the parasitical EU clutches - it is a monster which is bleeding us all dry. It is feudal really - first plundering all of our assets and then taxing us to death whilst implementing laws which make recovery impossible, fining those who disobey - plundering ordinary peoples bank accounts if govs refuse to pay or are bankrupt.

In retrospect, though it has been frustrating for those of us who voted to leave, the two and a half years of breathing space was perhaps not such a bad thing - perhaps - for the remain voters to get used to the idea but honestly, there has been very little, if any at all, intelligent public debate over our future once free from the EU or indeed over the actual effects that the EU has had on our countries. We were lucky though, that we were given a referendum, poor Italy, Greece, Spain and now France and co have not been given any choice ......... their might have to be a bloody fight for independence.

Why do we need a deal? We don't, the EU does though if it wants to keep selling to us. They buy nothing from us. We shall trade on WTO rules, at first.
You export services not goods. Just like the US services are the largest sector of your economy. That is where trade disruption becomes a problem for the UK. You will go from being under the EU to being under the WTO in that regard.

Does that sound like a better arrangement than you have now ?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Loooooooooooooooooooool Even the loudest Remoaners haven't fallen so low as to blame Putin yet - loooooooooooooooooool

Trust Julie to fall well below the lowest of the low over a direct democratic vote for independence in a country she know fu'ck all about.
Putin pushed the bigotry underlying Brexit....like he did in the 2016 election in the USA.....and tried to do in other western countries.

Of course because the DUP is irrelevant if May’s government collapses?
The Conservatives and Unionist Party. The Democratic Unionist Party. See anything they have in common? The DUP always vote with the Tories - the matter of the back stop has, for now, been resolved by May's defeat, has it not? And how would they become irrelevant to Northern Ireland or indeed Parliament in the case of any minority held Gov?

Last edited:
You export services not goods. Just like the US services are the largest sector of your economy. That is where trade disruption becomes a problem for the UK. You will go from being under the EU to being under the WTO in that regard.

Does that sound like a better arrangement than you have now ?
Yes but you are only talking about trade which is not the main people voted to leave ---- but ok though Financial Services we have which the EU does not the intention was to move them all to Frankfurt.... that is, move them as opposed to replacing them, they can't their systems are not nearly sophisticated enough to. Now they will stay here and carry on exactly as before.

Does the US pay tariffs when dealing with the EU? Do any countries outside the EU pay tariffs to it? Nope .................... but now we cannot trade outside it so prices are fixed and fixed very very high with so many Regulations/Laws that it suffocates any enterprise but for those which have the Commission's ear - it is an extortionist protection racket and a closed shop.

We already trade under WTO rules with various countries but once out we can begin to make trade deals around the world as we had done for thousands of years but cannot under EU rule now. Dear God we may not even fish our own waters nor build our own ships! An Island race ---------

The Conservatives and Unionist Party. The Democratic Unionist Party. See anything they have in common? The DUP always vote with the Tories - the matter of the back stop has, for now, been resolved by May's defeat, has it not? And how would they become irrelevant to Northern Ireland or indeed Parliament in the case of any minority held Gov?
Hard Brexit means Hard Border. Pretty sure the DUP will throw a sh*t fit if there's a hard border.

sear

Mayor
Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Walloped in Biggest Parliamentary Defeat in British History

PM May's proposal may have been severely defeated.

BUT !!

PM May whose tenure was severely tested by vote of confidence received the support of parliament.
So it seems her tenure at least for the moment, is secure.

PM May's proposal may have been severely defeated.

BUT !!

PM May whose tenure was severely tested by vote of confidence received the support of parliament.
So it seems her tenure at least for the moment, is secure.
For no other reason than - there is no other choice at the moment. Plus no-one is in the mood for another General Election at the moment and everyone wants Brexit out of the way before we can get back to any sort of normality.

sear

Mayor
That's another way of saying there's no one willing to challenge her for the PM slot, apparently because no one thinks they can actually do a better job.

They may be right.

I'm sympathetic.

QT,
Do you happen to recall whether before the plebiscite T. May favored Brexit, or opposed it?
I don't vividly remember. But I got the vague impression PM May opposed Brexit, and then was compelled by the duties of her office to conduct it.
I can't attribute a specific source, just vague memory. Can you help?

You're a real advocate for democracy. ha ha

Half the countries were dragged into the EU without a vote or with vote after vote until they finally voted to be in. Until the right vote was achieved. Clearly you believe in globalism like a good leftist should. You're dangerous for humanity's future outlook.
Tell us how many votes there were to repeal Obamacare? Were they not seaking the result they wanted?

sear

Mayor
38?
Might have been more. But I ever so vaguely recall a TV news report where they mentioned it in passing, though there may have been additional votes after that.

And it matters how they're counted. I inferred those 38 were cast after ACA became law.

38?
Might have been more. But I ever so vaguely recall a TV news report where they mentioned it in passing, though there may have been additional votes after that.

And it matters how they're counted. I inferred those 38 were cast after ACA became law.
But now a 2nd referendum on Brexit would be defying democracy.
I don't buy it.
The will of people can change.