• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Thinking of starting an investment business

Boltlady

Mayor
I would charge a fee for letting people know when I'm going to buy or sell an equity. If I'm buying they can plan on it going down and if I'm selling they can plan on it going up.

Kind of a form of 'insider trading' only it would be legal.;)

Boltlady

Mayor
Do you know anything about economics? Why should I believe that you know what you're talking about?
You didn't catch the part about me being consistent in picking the wrong timing? Since I don't short anything, when they go down, that's not what I had in mind at the time.:rolleyes:

fairsheet

Senator
I would charge a fee for letting people know when I'm going to buy or sell an equity. If I'm buying they can plan on it going down and if I'm selling they can plan on it going up.

My problem has always been timidity. I don't buy when I know I should buy and I don't sell when I know I should. "They" say that those who watch their holding too closely and reactively, tend to lose. But...I seem to take it to the opposite extremes.

ElGringo

Mayor
You didn't catch the part about me being consistent in picking the wrong timing? Since I don't short anything, when they go down, that's not what I had in mind at the time.:rolleyes:
You're right, I missed that. In that case I say go for it. Plenty of Kevin Trudeau junkies out there who need a new place to send their money.

ElGringo

Mayor
Your reference to Trudeau proves that you STILL don't get her "funny". Too bad, so sad.
In this case you're right. If this is about some specific event in the news or it's an inside joke then yes, I guess I missed. I've only been back posting regularly for about a week though and you've already said this to me a few times, I guess for some reason you're fascinated with me not "getting things"? Congrats, you were finally right, savor the flavor son, it ain't likely to happen again.

fairsheet

Senator
In this case you're right. If this is about some specific event in the news or it's an inside joke then yes, I guess I missed. I've only been back posting regularly for about a week though and you've already said this to me a few times, I guess for some reason you're fascinated with me not "getting things"? Congrats, you were finally right, savor the flavor son, it ain't likely to happen again.
Her "joke" was as simple as can be. She JOKED that she was thinking of opening up a firm in which she counseled people to invest their money the opposite of the way she's doing it.

That this simple little joke flew straight over your head the first time, says something. Your subsequent refusal to - in GOOD HUMOR, acknowledge your mistake, says way more.

Fast Eddy

Mayor

I trade daily while the market is open. I have been very successful and rarely lose any more. I go b the charts and not so much the reports. What method of trader are you?
I use options heavily and trade the short side just as much as the long.

Boltlady

Mayor
I trade daily while the market is open. I have been very successful and rarely lose any more. I go b the charts and not so much the reports. What method of trader are you?
I use options heavily and trade the short side just as much as the long.
Didn't do anything at all with the market until 12 years ago. Bought several books on the subject, read 'em, and then starting fooling around with a few K that I could afford to lose if it happened. Won some, lost some. Tried to pay attention to what was going on.

Then in 2007 I sold a small piece of property and upped the ante. With some equities I tried long term. What were supposed to be safe bets, weren't. With others I've played with short term trading. At no time have I been interested in using options or shorting. I watched some people lose everything they had doing that. I got hit pretty hard with the 'crash', learned some more lessons and now am pretty much going with short term trading. Because my age is against me I do tend to 'play' with some higher risk stuff. I'm ahead and holding my own.

The biggest thing that I've learned is to pretty much ignore whatever the books had to say. The corruption is so pervasive and the HFT stuff changes whatever used to be, so I try to come in between the cracks. That seems to work better than following the rules.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
Didn't do anything at all with the market until 12 years ago. Bought several books on the subject, read 'em, and then starting fooling around with a few K that I could afford to lose if it happened. Won some, lost some. Tried to pay attention to what was going on.

Then in 2007 I sold a small piece of property and upped the ante. With some equities I tried long term. What were supposed to be safe bets, weren't. With others I've played with short term trading. At no time have I been interested in using options or shorting. I watched some people lose everything they had doing that. I got hit pretty hard with the 'crash', learned some more lessons and now am pretty much going with short term trading. Because my age is against me I do tend to 'play' with some higher risk stuff. I'm ahead and holding my own.

The biggest thing that I've learned is to pretty much ignore whatever the books had to say. The corruption is so pervasive and the HFT stuff changes whatever used to be, so I try to come in between the cracks. That seems to work better than following the rules.

You sound like you have it worked out for you pretty well. What ever works, stay with it.
I retired early and decided to trade as my new job. I went to a lot of seminars and read about 50 books on trading. I paper traded for 9 months before I jumped in with real money.
When I started I was day trading and making about 30k a month, but the stress was not worth it so I quit doing that and saved my sanity. I then became a swing trader on a lot of stocks, but that tied me to the computer almost around the clock. It was working out very well and I was seeing 75% a year return on my money. I then discovered options and all hell broke lose, I went crazy as that was something I really got into. I had to straight years over a million in profit, but there was no time for anything, it dominated my life.
I have sense slowed way down and still swing trade and play options, just not the volume I was doing. I agree the system is corrupt and is rigged. I have learned to see the warning signs and get out or go short. I have made more on the short side in very short periods, but you really need to know what your doing and have hedges in options to back you up.
To me the key is to limit your trades to stocks you really know and trade them heavily.
It has been very good to me, but I'm finding the time is too much and am constantly cutting back. There is a lot to learn that's for sure.
My number one rule: Never take tips or advice from anyone. I swear I lose every time someone gives me a tip, I no longer do that.

Boltlady

Mayor
You sound like you have it worked out for you pretty well. What ever works, stay with it.
I retired early and decided to trade as my new job. I went to a lot of seminars and read about 50 books on trading. I paper traded for 9 months before I jumped in with real money.
When I started I was day trading and making about 30k a month, but the stress was not worth it so I quit doing that and saved my sanity. I then became a swing trader on a lot of stocks, but that tied me to the computer almost around the clock. It was working out very well and I was seeing 75% a year return on my money. I then discovered options and all hell broke lose, I went crazy as that was something I really got into. I had to straight years over a million in profit, but there was no time for anything, it dominated my life.
I have sense slowed way down and still swing trade and play options, just not the volume I was doing. I agree the system is corrupt and is rigged. I have learned to see the warning signs and get out or go short. I have made more on the short side in very short periods, but you really need to know what your doing and have hedges in options to back you up.
To me the key is to limit your trades to stocks you really know and trade them heavily.
It has been very good to me, but I'm finding the time is too much and am constantly cutting back. There is a lot to learn that's for sure.
My number one rule: Never take tips or advice from anyone. I swear I lose every time someone gives me a tip, I no longer do that.
Well my friend, I don't have or play with the kind of numbers that you do. I do spend way too much time tied to the computer though. I got into it so I could supplement my income. I'm about 95% retired from the small business that I own and because I couldn't be sure that it wouldn't run into the ground without me there much to oversee, I wanted to have a little something for backup just in case.

Spent a lot of years raising a family with a deadbeat ex-husband in the background so I got a late start on everything. I was 42 when I started the business from pure scratch. Hasn't made me rich but is still going after 32 years. I find following my equities time consuming but I have to admit, I love it.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
Well my friend, I don't have or play with the kind of numbers that you do. I do spend way too much time tied to the computer though. I got into it so I could supplement my income. I'm about 95% retired from the small business that I own and because I couldn't be sure that it wouldn't run into the ground without me there much to oversee, I wanted to have a little something for backup just in case.

Spent a lot of years raising a family with a deadbeat ex-husband in the background so I got a late start on everything. I was 42 when I started the business from pure scratch. Hasn't made me rich but is still going after 32 years. I find following my equities time consuming but I have to admit, I love it.
Its great you started a business, so many people have no idea what is involved and the effort it takes to get a company off the ground.
I worked in Silicon Valley and hit it big helping 3 companies get started. Two of them are now way over the billion a year mark, but it took 80 week for years and basically killed the social life.

I have a hard time letting go of the science and am working with a few guys on a new idea, if it goes I won't participate in the daily ever again, just get it going and back away. The stocks keep me busy enough.

Good luck on the stock and your company.

this is legal. its called "an investment newsletter". they typically go for $49-$99 a year. most are now delivered by email.

subscribers will want to see your 5 year trading record before ponying up $99 a year though

Boltlady

Mayor
this is legal. its called "an investment newsletter". they typically go for $49-$99 a year. most are now delivered by email.

subscribers will want to see your 5 year trading record before ponying up $99 a year though
Heh,heh well I'm pretty consistently wrong, at least soon after my trades. That oughta count for something.;) The idea would be for folks to do the opposite of whatever I do.