• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Thoughts on Greed

Jen

Senator
When Republicans take someone else's money it's "theft". When Democrats do it it's "fair share", "union dues", or "revenue".

Thomas Sowell puts it this way:

asphotos_b.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ash4_296712_10151420782724251_1952318070_n.jpg

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
When Republicans take someone else's money it's "theft". When Democrats do it it's "fair share", "union dues", or "revenue".

Thomas Sowell puts it this way:

asphotos_b.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ash4_296712_10151420782724251_1952318070_n.jpg
Not one of those thoughts actually addresses the concept of greed. Here is a thought on greed: The Bible provides us with a rich definition of greed. From a Christian perspective, the core definition of greed is that it is the obsession with accumulating material goods. A greedy person values material goods more than they value God. The Bible also tells us that greed is something that can never be satisfied. Greed and slothfulness have similarities in definition. http://access-jesus.com/definition-of-greed.html

Here is the dictionary definition of greed:

greed

(graimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_emacr.gifd)n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth: "Many . . . attach to competition the stigma of selfish greed" (Henry Fawcett).

Mr. Sowell is facile. He is appealing to emotions and lying about the very rational aspect of taxation and society.

DefeatObama

Council Member
In the short time I have been here I can't help but notice pretty much every post you put out is the opposite of reality and really looks to insult or demean anyone who doesn't fall for flat out lies from the right.

Is there a reason for this? I really expect a higher standard from those who have a title here, but then again I expect a higher standard from police officers too.

I apologise if thie in anyway offends you, but I am sure you have been told this many times before and told in much more harsh terms than I used.

I can only hope that my words may help you to re-evaluate what it is you say to us here and also how you say it.
LOL... another compassionate liberal

degsme

Council Member
And those aren't very profound "thoughts"

They are trivial strawmen.

I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money you've earned"
IF you reason critically about this statement - what you realize is that the core ASSUMPTION being made by Sowell, one he cannot back up - is the one that Ben Franklin eviscerates when he writes about ALL Property being an inherent creation of society http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch12s25.html

Private Property therefore is a Creature of Society, and is subject to the Calls of that Society, whenever its Necessities shall require it, even to its last Farthing; its Contributions therefore to the public Exigencies are not to be considered as conferring a Benefit on the Publick, entitling the Contributors to the Distinctions of Honour and Power, but as the Return of an Obligation previously received, or the Payment of a just Debt.

And Sowell's and Conservative's seeming inability to recognize this is the flaw in your ability to reason.

Similarly
but not greed to want to take somebody else's money
CRITICALLY REASONING about this leads you to recognize that Sowell is ASSUMING that taxes are a taking rather than a just debt to be paid to society. Sowell also assumes that supporting taxation to support a richer society is the same as deisre to take.

BOTH are flawed assumptions. The former is flawed in the same way as his assumption above. The latter the assumption that somehow one can have a society without redistribution of wealth being a core function of that society,

Thus Sowell is demonstrating either an intentional omission of relevant facts because of his attempt to argue his BELIEFS (there's that irrationality kicking in again - straight from religion) - which is what I believe he is doing

Or he is demonstrating outright mendacity - and I don't think he is outright mendacious, the evidence just isn't there

Or he is deeply ignorant - and again I don't think the evidence is there.

CRITICAL REASONING MATTERS.

Try some.

degsme

Council Member
Exactly craig. Though I don't think he is actually lying. Facile he is. And he is ommitting very important relevant facts. And creating strawmen. But I think he is doing this out of the same sort of irrationality that drives his religious faith: namely an abandonment of critical reasoning when faced with a challenge to BELIEF.

degsme

Council Member
Originally Posted by ITALIA
If everyone were to keep what they have "earned" what would we then have?
fairness
Hmm so your definition of "fairness" is a non-existant society. No jointly/cooperatively generated wealth to redistribute and no private property or contracts

Well done.

Curious defnition of "fairness" though.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Exactly craig. Though I don't think he is actually lying. Facile he is. And he is ommitting very important relevant facts. And creating strawmen. But I think he is doing this out of the same sort of irrationality that drives his religious faith: namely an abandonment of critical reasoning when faced with a challenge to BELIEF.
Sowell telling tall tales with the aim of manipulating belief by preying on the weak and emotional, i.e. non rational. That's as mendacious as it gets.

I just find it absurd that anyone could post about greed...when the statement has absolutely zero to do with greed, but of taxation. It is this semantic flapdodle that the right is becoming well known for. The only word that cannot have floating definitions is marriage.

btw...just had a friend relocate to Abu Dhabi. He likes his beer. (hasn't been to problematic)..and is getting used to the 4:45 call waking him...His wife was recruited...she's a doctor...and the Woman/Doctor relationship is a tricky ( i.e. stupid religious based) one.

I won't be visiting.

gabriel

Governor
Sowell telling tall tales with the aim of manipulating belief by preying on the weak and emotional, i.e. non rational. That's as mendacious as it gets.

I just find it absurd that anyone could post about greed...when the statement has absolutely zero to do with greed, but of taxation. It is this semantic flapdodle that the right is becoming well known for. The only word that cannot have floating definitions is marriage.

btw...just had a friend relocate to Abu Dhabi. He likes his beer. (hasn't been to problematic)..and is getting used to the 4:45 call waking him...His wife was recruited...she's a doctor...and the Woman/Doctor relationship is a tricky ( i.e. stupid religious based) one.

I won't be visiting.
my cousin's kid was teaching in dubai. he hated it. the entire population spoiled beyond all belief.