• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Top 1% pays 40% of income taxes.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Your first mistake is to believe that they have more through their own efforts. Some are wealthy because they took a risk, another roll of the dice, a gamble on the market...some are wealthy because they inherited it (think Trump)....

I am unaware of anyone proposing a transfer of wealth from the wealthy to you or I. We are talking about funding our government and one could argue that those who are extremely wealthy got there because the opportunities available precisely because of the freedoms secured by those who fought for them...or those who helped build the infrastructures needed to make money, or those employees they hired who actually did the work.

I think we discovered Romney was actually paying about 14% of his income in federal taxes. Meanwhile he made a ton of money when he destroyed Toys R Us, dumping thousands of people from their jobs. I worked for a startup company that made the first 20 or so employees millionaires... but it was those same people who bailed out, sold the company to a competitor who then parted the company out and put 11,000 people out of work.

I don't feel too bad for them and their tax problem.

The government has to pay the bills. The thing I regret is that politicians cannot get it together that they must live within a budget. If they continually increase spending eventually they will kill investment and the opportunity for any possibility that US business can compete in a global economy. It makes perfect sense to me that we wouldn't tax those living from paycheck to paycheck into poverty. Progressive tax rates are fair...what isn't fair is the loopholes letting the rich get away with paying far less than they should.
Those same freedoms apply to all thanks to those efforts. A wealthy persons success and another's lack thereof are not mutually exclusive.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
It's not that way yet. And before we get to where we don't need a large number of humans to do menial task, computers will have advanced to the point where they are better doctors, lawyers, and business executives than human beings can ever hope to be.
"yet"

middleview

President
Supporting Member
This is why we need to have all pay their fair share. Which means that no one rides for free any longer. Flat tax would fix this and make sure that every dollar is taxed at the same rate.
Sure it would...the rich would immediately start paying lobbyists to get loopholes to cut their own tax rates.

So what is your fair tax rate?

redtide

Mayor
Sure it would...the rich would immediately start paying lobbyists to get loopholes to cut their own tax rates.

So what is your fair tax rate?
15% flat tax on every dollar. This would not only make it fair but would force all to pay out of their own pocket when they vote for more giveaways. The govt would by default stop pissing away our money

EatTheRich

President
The left has never known reality. Then again, they don't have to, just like they don't have to have jobs. They sit home, collect welfare, smoke crack while conservatives work jobs and pay taxes to fund their lazy asses.
Excellent example of the right’s substitution of delusion and ideology for reality.

EatTheRich

President
15% flat tax on every dollar. This would not only make it fair but would force all to pay out of their own pocket when they vote for more giveaways. The govt would by default stop pissing away our money
In other words, you want to raise taxes on most of us while lowering them immensely for the very rich, all so you can eliminate social security and Medicare. No thanks!

middleview

President
Supporting Member
In 1979, the top one percenters earned 8.9 percent of pretax income and paid 18 percent of federal income taxes. In 2011, the top 1 percent earned 14.6 percent of income and paid 25.4 percent in 2011 of federal income taxes.

The CBO said that the average federal income tax rate paid by the top 1 percent has also dropped since 1979—falling from 22.7 percent in 1979 to 20.3 percent in 2011.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/13/top-1-pay-nearly-half-of-federal-income-taxes.html

The idea that someone supporting a family on $50k isn't paying taxes is false. They pay taxes on every thing they buy. Taxes are built into the cost of every product sold.

So remembering that you are talking about the working poor...someone working from paycheck to paycheck to keep their family fed and housed...you basically want to quadruple their taxes so that a billionaire like Trump can keep more of his money?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
This is why we need to have all pay their fair share. Which means that no one rides for free any longer. Flat tax would fix this and make sure that every dollar is taxed at the same rate.
ALL
especially fast food joint owners
they all run two sets of books

middleview

President
Supporting Member
sure, they were in the same regiment as slick willy and the chimp were they not?
1. Clinton never pretended to be in favor of the war in VietNam.
2. Bush dodged active duty by using his family name to jump to the head of the line to get into the same guard unit the Dallas Cowboys got their guys in.
3. Trump paid a doctor to say he had bone spurs. Spurs don't just go away...poor Donald must be in great pain, eh? Seems he never had surgery for them.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
In other words, you want to raise taxes on most of us while lowering them immensely for the very rich, all so you can eliminate social security and Medicare. No thanks!
negative, it's just to get those that don't pay income or very little income taxes in the game...…..why should you or those as you be left out?

as you know I don't have the ability to raise or lower anyone income taxes.

why would I want to eliminate something I've paid into for 50+ years?

Last edited:

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sure thing...like "W" and Trump when they signed up for active duty...right?
Ooh. Yeah. See..I don't know wtf you're talking about. Stuck like some middle schooler now off attempting a tangent??

Show me Phil lauding their Dodge or lack of service?

Thanks

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
In 1979, the top one percenters earned 8.9 percent of pretax income and paid 18 percent of federal income taxes. In 2011, the top 1 percent earned 14.6 percent of income and paid 25.4 percent in 2011 of federal income taxes.

The CBO said that the average federal income tax rate paid by the top 1 percent has also dropped since 1979—falling from 22.7 percent in 1979 to 20.3 percent in 2011.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/13/top-1-pay-nearly-half-of-federal-income-taxes.html

The idea that someone supporting a family on $50k isn't paying taxes is false. They pay taxes on every thing they buy. Taxes are built into the cost of every product sold.

So remembering that you are talking about the working poor...someone working from paycheck to paycheck to keep their family fed and housed...you basically want to quadruple their taxes so that a billionaire like Trump can keep more of his money?
Topic is INCOME taxes, still trying to jack the thread...……...WHY

so after libs say Trump isn't a billionaire, MV now says he is...……………..

so hope minimum Wage for your food joint is raised to $15@hour ASAP

EatTheRich

President
negative, it's just to get those that don't pay income or very little income taxes in the game...…..why should you or those as you be left out?
1. The working class pays so many other taxes that (let’s be real) the rulers aren’t about to eliminate.
2. Most of the wealth that the rich pay in income taxes is wealth created by workers’ labor.
3. The government is the tool of the rich, they should fund it.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Ooh. Yeah. See..I don't know wtf you're talking about. Stuck like some middle schooler now off attempting a tangent??

Show me Phil lauding their Dodge or lack of service?

Thanks
since they didn't enlist is why we have income taxes...???…...wth is MV trying to say