• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Trump channels FDR; Dems don't like the comparison

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/12/08/trump-maintains-call-for-muslim-ban/

“As president, I would establish internment camps for muslims, and force them to live there under armed guard. I would confiscate their property for the duration of the military conflict. We have to be careful, since we can’t tell the enemy sympathizers from the loyal ones”

Oops – Trump didn’t say that about the Muslims. That’s FDR (his rationale paraphrased) after Pearl Harbor.

This doesn’t mean Trump is right, any more than FDR was. I don’t support Trump's plan to ban ALL LEGAL ENTRY of muslims into america. But I do think congress should be allowed to fulfill it's function: review the process we use to admit so called “refugees”, since our government apparently can’t distinguish between terrorists and ordinary applicants. This is simply too complicated and fraught with danger to entrust to one president’s cockeyed vision (Obama’s or Trumps).

There are plenty of good reasons to allow an immigrant – ANY nationality or faith – into America. H1B work visa; spouse visa (the kind Trashfeen Farook used as a ruse to enter the USA); Student visa; tourist visa. After we get done with those legitimate, lawful entry visas, there’s currently (by law) a quota on “everyone else”.

I don’t want Trump to put everyone of a particular religion at the back of the line. I don’t want Obama to put everyone of that religion at the front of the line. I don’t want laws and regulation ignored completely, by throngs of heavily tatted latino gang members or poseurs claiming to be Syrian refugees.

Let congress do it’s oversight job. Ignore the bleatings of Trump, Obama, and even Hillary, whose opinions seem to change whenever the headlines do. This is why the constitution provides for 3 branches of government, rather than a dictator who is allowed to make up his own rules as he goes along.

Follow the constitution. And if you don’t like our current laws, ask your congressperson to draft a new one and allow it to be debated openly on capitol hill, and reported in the newspapers. Don’t allow one dimwit to scheme in secret from the oval office to screw some group. Or to give them a leg up on everyone else who actually ARE following the rules and waiting their turn to come here.

That should be simple enough to understand, even for all the frenzied, foaming at the mouth partisans of Obama and Trump, no?

Zam-Zam

Senator
FDR once said this about the Nazis:

"No man can tame a tiger into a kitten by stroking it. There can be no appeasement with ruthlessness. There can be no reasoning with an incendiary bomb. We know now that a nation can have peace with the Nazis only at the price of total surrender."

Nothing in there about 'containment'........

Barbella

Senator

"No man can tame a tiger into a kitten by stroking it. There can be no appeasement with ruthlessness. There can be no reasoning with an incendiary bomb. We know now that a nation can have peace with the Nazis only at the price of total surrender."

We're at war with radical Islam, and MUST treat it as such. Period.

It's come down to "it's either them, or us".

absolutely. there are some men - and ideologies - so evil that they are not amenable to persuasion. and they use "peace negotiations" simply as a ruse to re-arm and consolidate their positions.

We're at war with radical Islam, and MUST treat it as such. Period.

It's come down to "it's either them, or us".
peace negotiations which fail to ratify battlefield reality always fail. either you've won the war or you haven't. if you expect your adversary to voluntarily disarm in the absence of absolute surrender, you are mistaken.

Barbella

Senator
peace negotiations which fail to ratify battlefield reality always fail. either you've won the war or you haven't. if you expect your adversary to voluntarily disarm in the absence of absolute surrender, you are mistaken.
Not simply "mistaken". Nuts.

Dino

Russian Asset

“As president, I would establish internment camps for muslims, and force them to live there under armed guard. I would confiscate their property for the duration of the military conflict. We have to be careful, since we can’t tell the enemy sympathizers from the loyal ones”

Oops – Trump didn’t say that about the Muslims. That’s FDR (his rationale paraphrased) after Pearl Harbor.

This doesn’t mean Trump is right, any more than FDR was. I don’t support Trump's plan to ban ALL LEGAL ENTRY of muslims into america. But I do think congress should be allowed to fulfill it's function: review the process we use to admit so called “refugees”, since our government apparently can’t distinguish between terrorists and ordinary applicants. This is simply too complicated and fraught with danger to entrust to one president’s cockeyed vision (Obama’s or Trumps).

There are plenty of good reasons to allow an immigrant – ANY nationality or faith – into America. H1B work visa; spouse visa (the kind Trashfeen Farook used as a ruse to enter the USA); Student visa; tourist visa. After we get done with those legitimate, lawful entry visas, there’s currently (by law) a quota on “everyone else”.

I don’t want Trump to put everyone of a particular religion at the back of the line. I don’t want Obama to put everyone of that religion at the front of the line. I don’t want laws and regulation ignored completely, by throngs of heavily tatted latino gang members or poseurs claiming to be Syrian refugees.

Let congress do it’s oversight job. Ignore the bleatings of Trump, Obama, and even Hillary, whose opinions seem to change whenever the headlines do. This is why the constitution provides for 3 branches of government, rather than a dictator who is allowed to make up his own rules as he goes along.

Follow the constitution. And if you don’t like our current laws, ask your congressperson to draft a new one and allow it to be debated openly on capitol hill, and reported in the newspapers. Don’t allow one dimwit to scheme in secret from the oval office to screw some group. Or to give them a leg up on everyone else who actually ARE following the rules and waiting their turn to come here.

That should be simple enough to understand, even for all the frenzied, foaming at the mouth partisans of Obama and Trump, no?
Simple solution.
Our immigration policy has a natural demand for our security in a vetting process. Doesn't it? Sure, so we limit drastically the numbers of immigrants entering from muslim nations and target the vetting process specifically on radical groups and any possible contacts or training.
We close the southern border, secure it well and increase the number of immigrants coming in from Mexico and Central America. We acquire more productive workers while reducing our chances of admitting radicals who'd do us harm.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
To achieve Peace the enemy must fear more death and destruction. Libs think milk and cookies will bring Peace.

To achieve Peace the enemy must fear more death and destruction. Libs think milk and cookies will bring Peace.
follow the law:

if you're not entering under a bona fide visa program (work, student, spouse, tourist) then there's a strict number of immigrants each year for "everyone else". complete your paperwork, get in line. wait your turn. prepare to be fingerprinted and photographed upon entry. and report your address every time you change addresses.

Not simply "mistaken". Nuts.
I'm not qualified to judge where naivete crosses the line into simple mindedness or mental illness. all things are a shade of gray - no black and white.

Obama has proved that he's "not honest", so we can no longer ascribe his policies to "naivete". they are deceptive and he'd never have been elected if the press had done its job and vetted his views.

Boca

Governor
Simple solution.
Our immigration policy has a natural demand for our security in a vetting process. Doesn't it? Sure, so we limit drastically the numbers of immigrants entering from muslim nations and target the vetting process specifically on radical groups and any possible contacts or training.
We close the southern border, secure it well and increase the number of immigrants coming in from Mexico and Central America. We acquire more productive workers while reducing our chances of admitting radicals who'd do us harm.
Way too rational for this crowd....oops, I didn't mean this crowd, I meant the clowns climbing out of the Volkswagen.

Last edited:

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I'm hoping after this dumb statement about Muslims, it will be adios for Trump's presidential aspirations.:)

Boca

Governor
I'm hoping after this dumb statement about Muslims, it will be adios for Trump's presidential aspirations.:)
How long has it been, and how many statements has he made, after which people say and hope this is the one that will toast him?

Somehow, I don't know how, but somehow they have yet to notice that every time Lefty, or even establshment Republicans start squealing, Trumpi'm's numbers go up. Particularly, when they distort or outright lie about what he said.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone that he and Carson are outsiders. Now Cruz is gaining steam and he's outside the mainstream of the established political class, albeit on the inside of the Senate.

It's called backlash and status quo is losing and it's about time.

None of which means I'm a Trump fan.

Zam-Zam

Senator
absolutely. there are some men - and ideologies - so evil that they are not amenable to persuasion. and they use "peace negotiations" simply as a ruse to re-arm and consolidate their positions.
Yes, the monsters know how to play the appeasers......

Last edited:
To the contrary, I think this comparison between FDR and Trump is quite appropriate. What FDR did to the Japanese-Americans was nothing less than outrageous. What Donald Trump wants to do to American Muslims is nothing less than outrageous.

Let's try to not repeat the mistakes of history.

Hegel (paraphrased): The greatest lesson of history is that people never learn from it.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

Correct. We understand that the internment was among the absolute worst ideas ever implemented.

If Trump were to say...take the FDR position of a strong social security net and a work projects admin, then I'm sure the reaction would be more favorable. From the left of course, not from you.

Correct. We understand that the internment was among the absolute worst ideas ever implemented.

If Trump were to say...take the FDR position of a strong social security net and a work projects admin, then I'm sure the reaction would be more favorable. From the left of course, not from you.
so - you solutioin to unemployment is to ship inner city kids off to the wilderness to chop wood and clear brush.

brilliant.