• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Trump inherits mess- how Obama's failure in Syria continues to haunt us

Obama attempted a renegotiation. Maliki refused the new treaty.
American troops (including mercenaries) committed a lot of crimes while in Iraq, I don’t blame Malaki for wanting to make sure they were properly prosecuted, and time has proven him right. I would have preferred the neutrality of the ICC, but conveniently, in hypocritical fashion, the US doesn’t recognize the ICC’s authority until we are the ones bringing someone before it. ;)

mv #198 has smacked down Mc #197 fairly well.
I add:

Many things may be subject to renegotiation.
But what I read of it corroborates mv #198.
Maliki was a weak leader under much domestic popular political pressure to oust the occupiers.
Even if Maliki wanted U.S. there, it seems he'd not have been able to authorize it without placing at increased risk his own tenure.

I'll bottom line it for you Mc.
Blaming Obama for the terms of the U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq is at best ignorant.
Those withdrawal terms were set in international law by President Bush (younger).
Well you’re certainly no authority to be bottom lining anything. Obama was elected (amongst other reasons of course) to bring the troops home, which he did. I don’t fault him for that. But don’t for a minute tell me out of one corner of your mouth that he was bound to Bush’s agreement, hands tied, while acknowledging that he attempted his own failed agreement with Makaki.

sear

Mayor
"don’t for a minute tell me out of one corner of your mouth that he was bound to Bush’s agreement, hands tied, while acknowledging that he attempted his own failed agreement with Makaki." Mc #203
It wouldn't occur to me.

I never asserted or implied that Obama attempted.
My exact posted words were:

"Maliki was a weak leader under much domestic popular political pressure to oust the occupiers.
Even if Maliki wanted U.S. there, it seems he'd not have been able to authorize it without placing at increased risk his own tenure." s #200

I know that, and I never tried to renegotiate.
So you think Obama, Harvard Law grad., isn't as smart as me? I'm flattered.

S

Sickofleft

If it is something that Obama accomplished...that is always your response. If Trump got North Korea to give up their WMDs, would you feel the same way?

If Assad had an additional 1,300 tons of chemical weapons...would have have used them more often? Don't know...but it certainly is a probability.

In any case it cost us nothing at all and it certainly reduced the amount of those weapons Assad had. Cutting off all access to chlorine or even the chemicals necessary to make mustard gas would have been difficult, if not impossible.
Ask the people who have been getting gassed all along about what a huge accomplishment it was.....

In fact ask them about this specefically

"we got all the chemical weapons out".............

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Obama shouldn’t have drawn a red line to be sure, but enforcing it was never an option he had. Which is why it shouldn’t have been drawn to begin with.
So you agree that Obama is a typical lying, gutless, chickenshit, sniveling Liberal coward?
Who says we can't agree on some things from time to time? Hallelujah, only in America.

Ask the people who have been getting gassed all along about what a huge accomplishment it was.....

Do you understand who all the belligerents are in Syria, and how any number of ways chemical weapons can be smuggled into Syria. Do you understand that president Assad does not have operational control of all his borders?

So you agree that Obama is a typical lying, gutless, chickenshit, sniveling Liberal coward?
Who says we can't agree on some things from time to time? Hallelujah, only in America.
No, odd that you’d read all of that into my statement. I merely pointed out that Obama should never have drawn a line that neither the UN nor congress was going to authorize him to enforce, and Trump shouldn’t be attacking Syria without authorization either. But what hope is there that patronizing Americans are ever going to put their country before their party.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

Why, oh why, couldn't John Kerry be British, or French, or anything else besides American. It is so embarrassing for the world to know that this 1-nutted freak is an American.

S

Sickofleft

Why, oh why, couldn't John Kerry be British, or French, or anything else besides American. It is so embarrassing for the world to know that this 1-nutted freak is an American.
Worst Sec. of State I have ever seen. The culmination of his pure idiocy was having James Taylor serenade the French after one of their terrorist attacks..... the man was/is an embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Do you understand who all the belligerents are in Syria, and how any number of ways chemical weapons can be smuggled into Syria. Do you understand that president Assad does not have operational control of all his borders?
But he has discretionary use of the chemical weapons coming across the borders of which you claim he does not have operational control? Is that what you are telling us?

S

Sickofleft

Tell me did you pose any of those questions when the Obama Administration was claiming to have "got all the chemical weapons out"?

Oh by the way all this whining about "it's never been proven who used the chemical weapons" blah blah blah....... the people fighting Assad have no air power. So in the case of the barrel bombs filled with chlorine gas, please tell us who dropped them....

Or do you only by what the UN tells you when you agree with it?

sear

Mayor
"Sure you did, when acting as an authority you claimed that MV slapped me down who did point out Obama’s failed attempt at a renegotiated SOFA. " Mc #205
Get a pear Mc!
My exact posted words were:
"mv #198 has smacked down Mc #197 fairly well." s #200
Please note the wording.
"Fairly well" added deliberate wiggle room BECAUSE I wasn't endorsing every single point made; merely acknowledging the smack-down in general.

Don't despair Mc. If you study hard, learn to focus your mental concentration, and eventually graduate grammar school, it should open a whole new world of syntax-based communication for you.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
No, odd that you’d read all of that into my statement. I merely pointed out that Obama should never have drawn a line that neither the UN nor congress was going to authorize him to enforce, and Trump shouldn’t be attacking Syria without authorization either. But what hope is there that patronizing Americans are ever going to put their country before their party.
Obama didn't need congressional approval. He could have responded under the war powers act. He didn't refrain because of congress (He didn't let congress stop him from trashing the constitution in a dozen or more other ways). He practiced restraint because he's a chickenshit lying coward.

But he has discretionary use of the chemical weapons coming across the borders of which you claim he does not have operational control? Is that what you are telling us?
JFC! :eek: Again no. I’m telling you that there are at least two dozen belligerents involved in Syria, all but two of them are fighting to overthrow president Assad and would be interested in president Assad being blamed for any use of chemical weapons. And, Assad lacks control of his borders so any number of ways they could be smuggled in and used with the intent of blaming president Assad. It’s amazing to me how easily patronizing Americans are duped into supporting one gratuitous American war after another. :rolleyes:

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
JFC! :eek: Again no. I’m telling you that there are at least two dozen belligerents involved in Syria, all but two of them are fighting to overthrow president Assad and would be interested in president Assad being blamed for any use of chemical weapons. And, Assad lacks control of his borders so any number of ways they could be smuggled in and used with the intent of blaming president Assad. It’s amazing to me how easily patronizing Americans are duped into supporting one gratuitous American war after another. :rolleyes:
Horseshit

Obama didn't need congressional approval. He could have responded under the war powers act. He didn't refrain because of congress (He didn't let congress stop him from trashing the constitution in a dozen or more other ways). He practiced restraint because he's a chickenshit lying coward.
Good gawd!!! The war powers act allows a president to commit troops in an emergency wherein the US is under attack or under threat of imminent attack and there isn’t sufficient time to consult congress and then for 90 days. NO SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES EXISTED. Which is why Obama made three attempts to get authorization from the UN and failing that sough authorization from congress, and failing to get that resorted to smuggling arms that had been confiscated from Gadaffis army out of the CIA annex in Benghazi to the rebels fighting to topple Assad in Syria.