• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Trump

justoffal

Senator
In 2004, when Bush won, I posted to another forum what amounted to "well, you'll get what you deserve." Although things had already gone downhill for America since Bush took office in 2001, I predicted it was going to get a lot worse in his second term. I explained that I was positioned about as well as a person could be to weather that, but countless people who'd voted for him weren't, and I said they'd suffer terribly for their mistake.

I ended up being much more right than I'd understood. The second Bush term was far worse than the first. It wasn't just that the bloodbath of Iraq would drag on, or that poverty would continue to rise and median incomes to fall, while budget deficits exploded. The next few years would see the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, along with over a thousand people dying in the botched aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Over that four-year period almost everything got worse at a pace that even surprised people like me, who'd expected terrible things from Bush.

I was also right about being well-positioned to weather the nightmare myself. Fairly wealthy, healthy, middle-aged, white, straight, and male, with little debt and almost no reliance on the government, the avalanche of bad news that smothered America for four years mostly missed me. I held onto my job, road out the housing market decline without ever going under water, and packed away some money with the help of the upper-class tax cuts.

Yet, still, I found myself regretting what I'd posted on election night, as I was reminded, again and again, that it wasn't just about stupid, hateful people being hurt by the consequences of their own bad votes. Katrina didn't care who you voted for. Neither did an IED in Iraq, or the bank that foreclosed on your home. At one point, in those years, I survived a massive downsizing at my employer, and I watched some great people being shown the door-- people I knew for a fact had worked to spare the nation a second Bush term. Bad governance is indiscriminate in who it hurts.

So, this time I won't post that you're going to get what you deserve. Things are likely to get bad, starting this morning with a massive stock devaluation. But the harm will come both to those who turned the gun to our head and pulled the trigger, and to those who fought their hearts out to stop the disaster.

Now I've got to figure out how to break the news to my daughter. She'll mostly just be sad because "the girl" didn't win, and for a six-year-old child, that's a powerful source of identification. But she has also begun to understand simple policy questions. One of her friends is a little Muslim girl whose family is from India. She told my daughter that if Trump is elected, her grandmother may not be able to come to visit anymore, since Trump has promised to shut down Muslims coming to America. Some of my daughter's favorite things in this world are the visits by my mother. So, for her, the idea of a president keeping a grandma and her granddaughter apart, because he doesn't like their religion, is the closest thing to evil her young mind is yet able to grasp.
1.) Prepare your daughter for the real world or suffer the consequences and disappointments of generation snowflake. " The girl didn't win??? " Hillary Clinton is not a girl..and let's hope your daughter grows up to be " STRAIGHT " like you. If you are a good parent you won't indulge her in that stupid self pity thing. Identity is about reality not about wishful thinking.
2.) The stock market is already back .... try to keep up. Wall street DOES NOT CARE WHO IS IN THAT OFFICE...IT IS IRRELEVANT TO THEM.
3.) Just because you ' LIKE " somebody doesn't mean they will make a good POTUS
4.) Just because you " DON"T LIKE " somebody doesn't mean they will make a poor POTUS.
5.) Who knows what Trump will do ? It is possible that he will finally make the office work the way it is supposed to...it is possible that he will be a spectacular failure.....but one thing is clear....the Left fertilized this defeat with 8 years of excrement being dumped on the middle class and so from that grows the garden of discontent which has now harvested a new crop. Maybe try not to be so imperious next time?

Days

Commentator
How will lowering tax rates on rich individuals and corporations be good for the economy or the nation?

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

"Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.":rolleyes:
seriously? Have you confused yourself to the point where you don't understand how lower taxes for the upper middle class is the trigger of business? seriously? Because if I have to go there, we might as well give up and admit we have no clue what we are talking about.

seriously? Have you confused yourself to the point where you don't understand how lower taxes for the upper middle class is the trigger of business? seriously? Because if I have to go there, we might as well give up and admit we have no clue what we are talking about.
Where does your "upper middle class" fit into Trump's tax brackets?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-trumps-victory-means-for-you-and-your-taxes-2016-11-09

"Individual tax rates and capital gains taxes

For individuals, Trump has proposed fewer tax brackets and lower top rates: 12%, 25% and 33% — versus the current rates of 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35%, and 39.6%. The tax rates on long-term capital gains would be kept at the current 0%, 15% and 20%."

I am a little confused about how lowering taxes on the rich today will create as many jobs as FDR created with his New Deal by taxing his richest citizens at extremely high levels?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
To early to turn on him Dawg - he isn't even Prez yet.

If he said that he would keep some of it - well yes, Obama care kept some of what was there before - I dunno I would wait for a whole explanation myself -
WE THE PEOPLE not falling for another WE WILL DO IT as in 2012..........

Your link:

"After listening to his speeches and casting her vote for him, she expects Trump to toughen immigration laws, restore lost jobs, upend a corrupt political system, build a wall on the border, and be, as the millionaire put it, the 'greatest jobs president that God has ever created.'

"'We expect him to move forward on all the items he has promised to move forward on,' said Stellmack, 69, a retiree in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"'And if he doesn't, we will hold his feet to the fire.'"

Will he face a primary challenge in 2020 if he fails?

Days

Commentator
WE THE PEOPLE not falling for another WE WILL DO IT as in 2012..........
there was one good law in the ACA... forcing insurance companies to provide insurance, no more dropping the sick people from their roles.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
="Arkady, post: 1740603, member: 9327"]
I ended up being much more right than I'd understood.
I doubt that seriously. Sometimes I think you have trouble with 2+2.

I was also right about being well-positioned to weather the nightmare myself. Fairly wealthy, healthy, middle-aged, white, straight, and male, with little debt and almost no reliance on the government, the avalanche of bad news that smothered America for four years mostly missed me.
Yet you support the party that claims to hate wealth...or rather just minorities and Republicans with wealth.

I held onto my job, road out the housing market decline without ever going under water, and packed away some money with the help of the upper-class tax cuts.
So you acted like Donald Trump...go figure

Now I've got to figure out how to break the news to my daughter. She'll mostly just be sad because "the girl" didn't win, and for a six-year-old child, that's a powerful source of identification

Why don't you be honest with her. People did not support her. The democratic party lost almost 10 million votes in this election. The Democrats were unfit to run this campaign and they u8nderestimated how the American people felt about these alt-left ideologies.

But she has also begun to understand simple policy questions. One of her friends is a little muslim girl whose family is from India. She told my daughter that if Trump is elected, her grandmother may not be able to come to visit anymore, since Trump has promised to shut down Muslims coming to America.
You advise her to tell her friend that not allowing Muslim's into this country is unfair...and fair is not allowing all peoples who chant "death to America" to not enter the country. But would that not also apply to the Hillary Protesters?