• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Viniard Field

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Heavy fighting took place on the afternoon of September 19,1863 in the Battle Of Chickamauga at Viniard Field:

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
My ancestor in the 6th FLA Infantry fought at Chickamauga in Viniard Field. The Regiment was part of Trigg's Brigade,Preston's Division,Buckner's Corps. The Florida Monument is across the street from the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center/Museum:

2016-06-08 12.10.52.jpg
2016-06-08 12.13.55.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The final stop of my first day at Chickamauga(June 8th) was Viniard Field and the site of the Log School House. We got a good description of the action there of Hood's Texas Brigade by our guide Jim Ogden. Our other guide read excerpts from the memoirs of soldiers describing the fight there. Lotta casualties. As an added bonus for me,I got to view and stand close to where my ancestor and the rest of the 6th FLA Infantry advanced and attacked across the southern edge of Viniard Field:

Jim Ogden:

2016-06-08 13.49.21.jpg

The southern edge of Viniard Field

2016-06-08 14.51.35.jpg
2016-06-08 15.31.56.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
A zoomed in shot of what I believe is a Battery from the Minnesota Light Artillery on high ground on the western edge of Viniard Field that delivered devastating enfilade fire on Hood's Texas Brigade in the afternoon on 9/19/1863:

2016-06-08 16.16.40.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
It was a pretty intense day on 9/19/1863. A bit less for me on 6/8/2016. My ancestor was there and it was a pretty savage day for all who were there on that day in 1863. There was a cold chill moment for me the day I was there.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Since my first visit to Chickamauga in 2016,I've done a lot of research on my ancestor who served in the 40th Alabama Infantry Regiment. Part of the regiment surrendered at Vicksburg and was paroled but waiting for exchange at the time of Chickamauga. My ancestor's Company was on detached duty when Vicksburg was encircled and was temporarily assigned to Ector's Brigade at Chickamauga. They saw action at Jay's Mill on the morning of September 19,1863. They got roughed up pretty good too. Visiting the site on 10/27/2018.

chickamauga-dawn-to-noon.jpg