• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Walmart Customers Flee

MaryAnne

Governor
Empty shelves.

I had this conversation with a friend last week. I went to pick up a product I could always get there. I noticed how empty many of the shelves were. I guess customers are moving on since they raised prices and cut inventory. Costco pays decent wages and has lower prices.

Costco management think it is cheaper to keep employees than train new ones!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022568174

NightSwimmer

Senator
Costco competes with Sam's Club, not Walmart. (same parent company, though)

I have noticed my local Walmart allowing stock depletion of certain items from time to time lately. I don't know what's up with that, but I don't believe that it has anything to do with lack of consumer demand for those items. I suspect that it represents a recent change in their stocking/inventory procedures instead.

MaryAnne

Governor
Costco competes with Sam's Club, not Walmart. (same parent company, though)

I have noticed my local Walmart allowing stock depletion of certain items from time to time lately. I don't know what's up with that, but I don't believe that it has anything to do with lack of consumer demand for those items. I suspect that it represents a recent change in their stocking/inventory procedures instead.
Not in my area,Night. We have had numerous article that Walmart is losing business to the Dollar stores.

Walmart cut inventory and raised prices.They admitted it hurt them. Now,Kroger and Meijers,the 2 main Supers here are in a price battle. Both are lowering prices to out do Walmart. I compare prices on the things I use each week.Walmart does not compare because they have no sales.I have yet to see one customer demand the lower price at the register.

NightSwimmer

Senator
For as long as I've been around, prices for consumer goods always tend to rise. This applies to all merchants -- not just to Walmart. I haven't seen reduced inventory in my local Walmart stores, although I have noticed them allowing certain shelves to be temporarily depleted of stock. Maybe it's just so they can do clean-up on the shelves? The products are right back in the shelves the next time I look. I've seen it with razors, salads, and refrigerated biscuits/crescent rolls etc. lately at my local store.

BTW: I have seen customers request price matching at Walmart check-outs, although few bother.

fairsheet

Senator
I prefer the Costco model to the Walmart model. Forgive me if you've endured this riff before. But if I need a shovel, I don't WANT ten shovels to chose from. Costco will have one shovel, of good quality, and at a fair price.

I like that better, even as it runs sort of counter to our capitalist "consumer choice" meme.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
I guess I am new at this Democrat thing..so If I own a large chain and make billions of dollars,...it's only good if I donate to the democrat party..other wise I get demonized for being the UBER wealthy top one percenters...turns out we need capitalism more than the Republicans who think they own the license to capitalism...because otherwise what would we tax?

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'm not a big fan of Walmart myself, but I read the linked article and it appears to be a hit piece based upon anecdotal evidence and innuendo. I am not impressed with Renee Dudley's journalistic standards.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I guess I am new at this Democrat thing..so If I own a large chain and make billions of dollars,...it's only good if I donate to the democrat party..other wise I get demonized for being the UBER wealthy top one percenters...turns out we need capitalism more than the Republicans who think they own the license to capitalism...because otherwise what would we tax?

One trick Drumcollie...

fairsheet

Senator
I'm not a big fan of Walmart myself, but I read the linked article and it appears to be a hit piece based upon anecdotal evidence and innuendo. I am not impressed with Renee Dudley's journalistic standards.
Walmart got a big dose of comeuppance, starting about a decade ago. They been back and filling ever since. An operation as big as Walmart HAS to advantage itself of every potential customer, not just red ones. Bill Gates (Microsoft) got it. Gates is a Democrat..we all know that. But, we really don't, do we? Especially before he retired, he assiduously avoided giving the impression that he was associated with EITHER party.

After all..in terms of software, a Republican's money is just as good as a Democrat's.

fairsheet

Senator
I think I saw this one in "Webster's", in the context of their definition for the word "incoherence".