• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What a shock...

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Cost of Governor Moonbeam's "bullet train" triples:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-train-cost-increase-20180309-story.html

And it isn't done yet so I'm guessing it will be more like four or even five times the original estimate. Who wants to bet it requires massive subsidies for probably ever if and when it ever becomes operational? This is why America is bankrupt, folks, your big government politicians pushing very expensive solutions in search of problems...

connieb

Senator

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-train-cost-increase-20180309-story.html

And it isn't done yet so I'm guessing it will be more like four or even five times the original estimate. Who wants to bet it requires massive subsidies for probably ever if and when it ever becomes operational? This is why America is bankrupt, folks, your big government politicians pushing very expensive solutions in search of problems...
I am sure it will at least double again. They haven't even begun actually engineering the "hard" part yet.. i.e. how to actually tunnel through the mountains. I'd laugh about it but you know the rest of us are going to end up subsidizing this boondoggle one way or the other.

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy

Cali is a slave state.....

Got lots of wet backs to do the labor.

SB

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I am sure it will at least double again. They haven't even begun actually engineering the "hard" part yet.. i.e. how to actually tunnel through the mountains. I'd laugh about it but you know the rest of us are going to end up subsidizing this boondoggle one way or the other.
The structural/seismics piece alone will be HUGE...but that's Cali for ya.

connieb

Senator
The structural/seismics piece alone will be HUGE...but that's Cali for ya.
I heard that it is not even going be actually be "bullet" train level speeds. That it will be more like an "express" train. What a freaking waste. There is already plenty of air travel options for regular commuters. Who is even going to be using this?

Sounds like a better investment than 25 billion for a dumbass wall.

Raoul_Luke

Sounds like a better investment than 25 billion for a dumbass wall.
The wall is an investment that WILL pay off. Our technology entrepreneurs are furiously automating unskilled jobs at the precise time the Democrats are trying to open our southern border to tens of millions of unskilled peasants. What are they going to do here? I'll tell you what they will do here, as soon as you people give them the vote they will be collecting trillions in welfare. Brazzilliant strategy there, comrade...

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I heard that it is not even going be actually be "bullet" train level speeds. That it will be more like an "express" train. What a freaking waste. There is already plenty of air travel options for regular commuters. Who is even going to be using this?
It is completely idiotic.

I see in another strand, statist lefty is moaning about a person with some private sector corporate attorney background being appointed to an EPA role. Evilllllll Dow, dontchaknow. Dow-DuPont Chemical, Dow Agri-Science...they want to pollute and poison their familes and children. They get up every morning conceiving new toxins to be released. No need to consider the thousands of amelioration and abatement engineers, scientific strides made in cleanup, neutralization, and abatement. Nope. How could private industry have any input of value where precious, controlling bureaucracy is needed.

Lefty demands his hack bureaucrats be incubated at the public trough - preferably waxing away at theory in some ivory tower somewhere, with plenty of marxism sprinkled in. Heaven forbid non-governmental-subsidized, non-statist-authoritarians be considered.

I bring this up because these two issues are linked. The progressive starts with a desired conclusion and creates a fortress of incestuous fellow collectivist groupthinkers to foment the agenda/policy. If and when actual science is applied to the vetting process, it is typically academy types at early stages, and they are already bought in.

There is a reason that folks like me in the applied sciences skew FAR less lefty than the theoreticians and paper-writing ponderers. In fact, most careers in which objective results matter skew far less lefty. Engineers and planners should be at the leading edge of all this stuff, not merely engaged when it is time to begin design/construction. And I don't mean a token few who are overruled by pols and bureaucrats and handpicked via confirmation bias.

connieb

Senator
The wall is an investment that WILL pay off. Our technology entrepreneurs are furiously automating unskilled jobs at the precise time the Democrats are trying to open our southern border to tens of millions of unskilled peasants. What are they going to do here? I'll tell you what they will do here, as soon as you people give them the vote they will be collecting trillions in welfare. Brazzilliant strategy there, comrade...
Not to mention just the guns, human trafficking and violence that floods across the border.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Psst. That's what lefty wants. A dependent, reservation-dwelling underclass whose collectivist vote can be reliably counted upon.
Host-parasite. The lefty way. That is forever his power base.

Do you believe long-term economic viability in the 21st century (and beyond) is possible without high speed rail?

"In 2009, the Authority projected that construction of the system will create 450,000 permanent jobs through the new commuters that will use the system,[49] and that the Los Angeles-San Francisco route will generate a net operating revenue of $2.23 billion by 2023,[49] consistent with the experience of other high-speed intercity operations around the world.[50]

"The 2012 Economic Impact Analysis Report by Parson Brinkerhoff (project managers for the Authority) also indicated substantial economic benefits from high-speed rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High-Speed_Rail#Statewide_economic_growth_and_job_creation

"The 2012 Business Plan also estimates that the Initial Construction Segment (ICS) construction will 'generate 20,000 jobs over five years,' with the Phase 1 system requiring 990,000 job-years over 15 years, averaging 66,000 annually.[52]"

connieb

Senator
It is completely idiotic.

I see in another strand, statist lefty is moaning about a person with some private sector corporate attorney background being appointed to an EPA role. Evilllllll Dow, dontchaknow. Dow-DuPont Chemical, Dow Agri-Science...they want to pollute and poison their familes and children. They get up every morning conceiving new toxins to be released. No need to consider the thousands of amelioration and abatement engineers, scientific strides made in cleanup, neutralization, and abatement. Nope. How could private industry have any input of value where precious, controlling bureaucracy is needed.

Lefty demands his hack bureaucrats be incubated at the public trough - preferably waxing away at theory in some ivory tower somewhere, with plenty of marxism sprinkled in. Heaven forbid non-governmental-subsidized, non-statist-authoritarians be considered.

I bring this up because these two issues are linked. The progressive starts with a desired conclusion and creates a fortress of incestuous fellow collectivist groupthinkers to foment the agenda/policy. If and when actual science is applied to the vetting process, it is typically academy types at early stages, and they are already bought in.

There is a reason that folks like me in the applied sciences skew FAR less lefty than the theoreticians and paper-writing ponderers. In fact, most careers in which objective results matter skew far less lefty. Engineers and planners should be at the leading edge of all this stuff, not merely engaged when it is time to begin design/construction. And I don't mean a token few who are overruled by pols and bureaucrats and handpicked via confirmation bias.
Indeed. You see it in my profession and the interactions with Gov't. Do they every discuss tax code with actual CPA's before they implement it? Do they discuss filing dates and deadlines before they change them? Do they discuss the things that would actually WORK to bring people into compliance that would actually raise more tax revenue.. that would actually fix broken rules.. nope.

A bunch of bureaucrats and lawyers make up the rules that suit themselves and continue to advance their agenda without any understanding of the practical implications of their stupidity.

I remember the precise moment that I realized that our Government was made up of a bunch of idiots, hacks and dishonest people. I had a client who was part owner in a small retail outfit serving a small rural community When I tell you this man was dumb.. I mean he was dumb. Like makes Forest Gump look like a Mensa candidate. I have actually not ever met another adult who was that stupid and who wasn't actually classified and treated as person who is mentally challenged, and I am not exaggerating at all. Daddy bought him his interest after he made some money off of a land deal because he needed to give his kid something to do. The capable and competent employees spent their time trying to figure out how to NOT let him make any decisions. But, in his community he had an old, very well known family name. And for whatever reason he actually also was working on his pilot's license and the guy he copiloted with - flew our Governor at the time. Anyway the Governor, seizing on this and knowing that the legislation was stacked against him, convinced this abject fool to run for state government. And then financed the campaign. I actually remember the idiot telling me what a brilliant strategy they had devised for him.. he as NOT to show up at any campaign events and was not to give any interviews because they wanted to keep his oponents guessing as to his opinions.. more like they didn't want it to get out what an idiot he was. Anyway. he was elected, and remains in the state Gov't today. The fact that a person - this incredibly dumb.. is in a position to make laws that affect my life, actually makes me physically ill when I think about it. And it was at that moment that I realized -holy schnikes!!!! That is all govt' is. Useful idiots being manipulated by dishonest hacks supported by a bunch of dishonest, sneaky and self serving bureaucrats.

Raoul_Luke

Do you believe long-term economic viability in the 21st century (and beyond) is possible without high speed rail?

"In 2009, the Authority projected that construction of the system will create 450,000 permanent jobs through the new commuters that will use the system,[49] and that the Los Angeles-San Francisco route will generate a net operating revenue of $2.23 billion by 2023,[49] consistent with the experience of other high-speed intercity operations around the world.[50]

"The 2012 Economic Impact Analysis Report by Parson Brinkerhoff (project managers for the Authority) also indicated substantial economic benefits from high-speed rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High-Speed_Rail#Statewide_economic_growth_and_job_creation

"The 2012 Business Plan also estimates that the Initial Construction Segment (ICS) construction will 'generate 20,000 jobs over five years,' with the Phase 1 system requiring 990,000 job-years over 15 years, averaging 66,000 annually.[52]"
Creating jobs by government borrowing and spending is an unsustainable economic model - it only works until they run out of other people's money. The pun was actually unintended - I didn't realize your quote was from Thatcher.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Indeed. You see it in my profession and the interactions with Gov't. Do they every discuss tax code with actual CPA's before they implement it? Do they discuss filing dates and deadlines before they change them? Do they discuss the things that would actually WORK to bring people into compliance that would actually raise more tax revenue.. that would actually fix broken rules.. nope.

A bunch of bureaucrats and lawyers make up the rules that suit themselves and continue to advance their agenda without any understanding of the practical implications of their stupidity.

I remember the precise moment that I realized that our Government was made up of a bunch of idiots, hacks and dishonest people. I had a client who was part owner in a small retail outfit serving a small rural community When I tell you this man was dumb.. I mean he was dumb. Like makes Forest Gump look like a Mensa candidate. I have actually not ever met another adult who was that stupid and who wasn't actually classified and treated as person who is mentally challenged, and I am not exaggerating at all. Daddy bought him his interest after he made some money off of a land deal because he needed to give his kid something to do. The capable and competent employees spent their time trying to figure out how to NOT let him make any decisions. But, in his community he had an old, very well known family name. And for whatever reason he actually also was working on his pilot's license and the guy he copiloted with - flew our Governor at the time. Anyway the Governor, seizing on this and knowing that the legislation was stacked against him, convinced this abject fool to run for state government. And then financed the campaign. I actually remember the idiot telling me what a brilliant strategy they had devised for him.. he as NOT to show up at any campaign events and was not to give any interviews because they wanted to keep his oponents guessing as to his opinions.. more like they didn't want it to get out what an idiot he was. Anyway. he was elected, and remains in the state Gov't today. The fact that a person - this incredibly dumb.. is in a position to make laws that affect my life, actually makes me physically ill when I think about it. And it was at that moment that I realized -holy schnikes!!!! That is all govt' is. Useful idiots being manipulated by dishonest hacks supported by a bunch of dishonest, sneaky and self serving bureaucrats.
It never changes: inferior people seek positions in which they are unaccountable. And inferior sponsors and voters seek to place the inferior.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think that illegal immigrants will be defeated by a wall. You think they are just going to cross hundreds of miles of open desert to just see a wall and turn around and go home? You have got to be kidding me. They will go over/under/around a wall in no time flat. We aren't talking about stopping immigrants from entering the country illegally we talking about spending 25 B on what will effectively be a minor nuisance to people crossing the border illegally. Only Republicans could dream up something that wastes so much money and doesn't even accomplish what they want it to.

Creating jobs by government borrowing and spending is an unsustainable economic model - it only works until they run out of other people's money. The pun was actually unintended - I didn't realize your quote was from Thatcher.
Perhaps the biggest part of that problem is government borrowing from private banks?

https://www.michaeljournal.org/articles/social-credit/item/the-solution-debt-free-money-issued-by-society

"On September 30, 1941, a revealing exchange took place between Mr. Wright Patman, Chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Banking and Currency Committee, and Mr. Marriner Eccles, Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board (the central bank of the U.S.A.) concerning a $2 billion monetary issue which the Bank created:

"Mr. Patman: "How did you get the money to buy those $2 billion of Government securities?"

"Mr. Eccles: "We created it."

"Mr. Patman: "Out of what?"

"Mr. Eccles: "Out of the right to issue money, credit."

"Mr. Patman: "And there is nothing behind it, except the Government’s credit?"

"Mr. Eccles: "We have the Government bonds."

"Mr. Patman: "That’s right, the Government’s credit."

"This puts us on the right track for a solution to the debt problem: if these bonds are based on the Government’s credit, why would the Government have to go through the banks to use its own credit?"

In theory, the government could create the money and spend it into circulation (after hanging all the private bankers);)

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It is absolutely ridiculous to think that illegal immigrants will be defeated by a wall. You think they are just going to cross hundreds of miles of open desert to just see a wall and turn around and go home? You have got to be kidding me. They will go over/under/around a wall in no time flat. We aren't talking about stopping immigrants from entering the country illegally we talking about spending 25 B on what will effectively be a minor nuisance to people crossing the border illegally. Only Republicans could dream up something that wastes so much money and doesn't even accomplish what they want it to.
What percentage arrives by tunnel? https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1842750