• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What caused the Great collapse of 2008?

Days

Commentator
Six years ago, today, the Stock Markets were in full blown panic, the DOW-Jones was moving a 1000 pts per hour, up and down, often in 2000 pt swings; a quarter of the index was often times erased in a bad 2 hour swing; it was total mayhem... what caused it?

We were told it was sub-prime mortgages.

that was a Lie

It was also reported that identity theft was knocking on the door of ten million per year in America... but no one asked how much theft that was adding up to. Identity theft could be as small as a $150 purchase on a credit card or it could be as big as a $1,500,000 mortgage for a new home. Just saying how many thefts were happening didn't really tell us how much money was stolen. That was not a number the banks wanted to show up in the media. Banks always want to appear to be secure, credit works by faith and it is ever so important that the general public's faith in your bank is well guarded.

So, would if, 10% of the id thefts were happening in the mortgage industry. And would if the average size of loan that was stolen was $500,000. That's $500,000,000,000 ($500 Billion) per year in mortgage fraud. Would that be enough to rock the financial institutions on Wall Street? Would if, 20% of the id thefts were mortgages? That's $1 Trillion per year in mortgage fraud. Would if, 50% of the id thefts were mortgages? That's $2.5 Trillion per year in mortgage fraud. Did you know at the height of the housing boom 40-50% of the mortgages bought by Wall Street were fraud? Did you ever stop to think how much money was stolen? If citibank was losing $10 Billion per quarter at the height of the fraud, does that really mean that their normal $10 Billion profit per quarter was undercut by a $20 Billion loss in mortgage fraud?

Not one penny of the massive write-offs were real mortgages, sub-prime or otherwise. A write off only happens on fraud. Mortgages are guaranteed by Title. Title insures every dime they close, that's what makes mortgages safe to sell. Wall Street banks were opening bundles of mortgages and 40-50% of them were complete fraud, even the Title insurance was worthless. I'll explain how the scam works next paragraph, but at this point, think about a genuine mortgage with a real borrower. That loan is insured by Title, so the Wall Street bank that buys it is protected from fraud. Now think about a genuine loan that goes bad from the gitgo... by the way, the worst it ever got was 10% of American loans defaulted on the first payment; most of them due to the servicing bank not being able to get the first billing out on time; those loans generally were not bad loans, and the payments were generally caught up... but lets look at a loan that has a genuine borrower and it goes bad from the gitgo, doesn't matter whether it is AAA credit or C,D paper (subprime is A-,B+) what happens to the banks that bought those loans? Do they write them off? Hell no. Mortgages are backed by real property. They sell the loan to Countrywide (because they have the biggest foreclosure unit) who then forecloses on the borrower. The banks do not lose a dime on real mortgages. It simply doesn't matter what the credit is, if it was a real mortgage, there was no write off.

However, if the mob set up a broker and Title (all legally) and if they had enough money for the Title to self insure (and they did) ... self insured just means that the Title company was insuring the loans it closed out of their own pocket; giant title companies like Chicago Title are self insured, all it took back then to self insure Title was proof of assets; you didn't have to buy a bond, just show you had enough $millions and opt to self insure ... then what they did was run fake loans for about two months. Their Title received the Lender table money, but instead of paying off the old loans, or builders, they ferried that money off God knows where, and after 6-7 weeks of closing loans, just as the system was closing in on them, the people running the operation would vanish. At the height of the housing boom, all Title companies were jammed, even a small office would close 25 loans per day, and a large office over 100. Let's say our mob operation closed 50 loans per day at an average of $500,000 per loan. That's $25 million per day, let's run it 6 weeks... 30 business days times $25 million per day = $750 million in mortgage fraud. Then pack up and move to the next state and spend 3 months setting up and run it again. One operation could do $2-$3 Billion per year. The mob jumped all over the game, even they had never seen money like that... the longer they ran the scam, the better they got at it. I heard about lots of professionals that got caught breaking laws, but I never heard about one single mob operation that got caught. Of all the illegal crap the mob pulls, this was probable the easiest thing they ever did. They just used false id for their brokers and Title; once they left the premises, the authorities had no way to track them.

Right around 2003, MERS took over. This was doing business on the internet. There was no security. The systems were brand new, clunky, confused, and the bankers only knew banking, not internet software. The IT people only knew internet, not banking. The mob jumped into the game immediately. By 2008 so much money was stolen, and not a dime of it was ever recovered.

take a breath. think about this:

at the height of the housing boom, 40-50% of it was fraud.

the real boom (real business) was only slightly over half as big as the actual boom we experienced.

And sub prime mortgages were never the cause, but they did become the victims, because after the collapse, some 3 million jobs were lost and that's what fueled the foreclosure tsunami.

Every banking professional familiar with the mortgage industry knows what I've written here. And yet, the truth never comes out. So are millions of Americans keeping it secret? Nope, just the media. Bankers talk to each other constantly, but the rest of you are too dense to understand. Do the large banks that incurred the big losses tell lies to the media to cover up their vulnerability to theft? Always have, always will.

Last edited:

Days

Commentator
Okay, this gets better. Now lets look at a sentence from Stress Fractures by Adam White...

Geithner unfailingly relieved Wall Street of the cost of its mistakes. His claim that he had let the arsonists go free only so that he could fight the fire rings hollow when he is calling a shaken Lloyd Blankfein, urging the Goldman Sachs CEO to “get that fear out of your voice,”

Adam White is writing a critique on Stress Test by Tim Geithner, he isn't exposing anything, but I want to explain to you why Blankfein was scared silly going before Carl Levin's Senate panel. Remember, it was broadcast LIVE, which means at least a million bankers were watching and knowing how big a Lie they were telling.

First of all, you have to understand what Goldman Sachs does. Goldman Sachs buys and holds more American mortgages than anybody, period. But in reality, they don't hold the risk, just the Note. That's because, Goldman Sachs sells a derivative to the mortgage bundles they buy. (I'm writing present tense, but this is all 2003-2008) While other banks sell mortgages to banks, Goldman Sachs holds the paper, services the loans, but sells the performance of those loans to anyone and everyone around the world. The nation of Iceland bought a lot from Goldman Sachs and took the fall. Remember, Goldman was selling the derivatives as fast as they were buying the bundles; it was the equivalent of being a Wall Street bank buying a bundle of mortgages, which historically, was damn good business.

Here's the key to this plot. Goldman Sachs was in a unique position to know just how much fraud was happening; they bought way more than everybody else and serviced what they bought (risk free)... so they saw how much fraud was happening, and they passed on those losses to the derivative buyers. But Goldman Sachs went right on doing business, even though they knew how bad their derivatives were hammering the whole planet. Everyone tried to sue, but no one got anywhere; it was all legal. But when Carl Levin brought Blankfein before the Senate finance committee to supposedly take him to task over his total lack of business ethics; no one blew his cover. Instead, Carl Levin examined Goldman's puts against the mortgages they were selling, and they played the charade that it was mostly sub-prime; and all of that covered up the reality that these were not real mortgages going bad on the derivative buyer (buyer beware; they bought 'em, they are saddled with the risk) nope, these were not anywhere near that ethical, these were derivatives for bundles of mortgages that had been become more and more filled with fraud for 5 years running. Blankfein was shaking like a leaf because the whole world that bought his derivatives knew it wasn't real mortgages going bad that hurt them; it was fraud. Goldman sachs was packaging derivatives for bundles of mortgages that they knew were 30-40% fraud, and went right on selling them; hence, Goldman was perpetrating fraud, and Goldman knew everyone they stung with their derivatives knew they were guilty as sin and lying like dogs in front of the Senate panel, that was conveniently pushing the same lie for them. So when Levin put up his chart proving that Goldman Sachs knew the mortgage industry had gone south and was betting against it; that was the perfect cover, because that gave the picture that these were all real mortgages. There's nothing illegal about know ing a trend and betting on it; that's what Wall Street does. And if the last 1000 mortgages you moved happened to go bad for 275 of them, that doesn't tell you anything about what might happen with the next 1000 mortgages. Levin made a big show of saying that Blankfein was playing hardball with his customers, but it didn't prove Blankfein did anything illegal. All the while, Blankfein was knowingly selling derivatives for bundles of mortgages that were packed with fraud; the whole world wanted his head on a pole, and they were totally aware what a huge crock the Senate hearing was. Blankfein had good reason to be scared. If anybody really prosecuted him for fraud, the Senate hearing would be icing on the cake... here was a man who should have been suffering the same fate as Ken Lay; a man who was much more guilty than Lay was, and the scam was being aired for the whole world to see.

But if you are going to try and pull off the bait and switch, and look innocent, then Geithner was right; it was critical to get that fear out of his voice. People might be too stupid to understand he committed fraud, but they can sense he is afraid, so they figure he must have done something. The Dog and Pony show isn't fooling anyone who bought the derivatives, so it was crucial it fooled the general public. Then they could hide behind that. And write their memoirs... and go on selling the story to the public forever.

BTW, this article, Stress Fractures, supposedly took Geithner to task for being an elitist. But it failed to mention the most basic reason why Geithner should have bailed out the home owners; THAT WAS WHAT THE $700 BILLION DOLLAR TARP WAS FOR! Not a penny of it was ever spent on mortgages, every last dollar was spent bailing out corporations and banks, not one single home owner was ever bailed out. It just amazes me how long articles can be written taking the guy to task for being an elitist and the biggest thing the guy did to prove he was an elitist, isn't spelled out. White makes the point that Geithner didn't bail out the home owners, but he fails to mention that TARP was solely passed for home owners. hello? The sad part is; never in the history of America did home owners need relief from their government like they did from Tim Geithner, who was handed a $700 Billion dollar blank check from Congress and told to relieve them... and didn't. Adam White not only fails to point it out, he does a Carl Levin type cover up... he leaves his reader with complete doubt whether Geithner had the tool in hand to do the job:

“There’s around $11 trillion in residential mortgages, there’s around $3 trillion of commercial mortgages, that leads to $14 trillion, roughly five percent of that is $700 billion.” As he plucked numbers from thin air even Kashkari laughed at the absurdity of it all.

Okay, TARP was not for commercial mortgages and who cares if there is $11 Trillion for the whole nation? Just bail out the ones who were failing. They acted like it was impossible to do... like there were too many failing to keep up with. This, from the Treasury, which keeps track of every last one of us, not just the few who had lost their jobs and were losing their house... and remember, foreclosure takes six to nine months, that's a long time for the duck to be sitting in front of you and you claim it isn't worth shooting at?

see how the govt and the media let these guys off the hook?

Fast Eddy

Mayor
The bankers walk and the little guy is hung out. I know 3 families that have been trying to sell their homes since 2009, but they can't prove who has the title. It keeps going to court and everyone argues to no resolve.
The derivative market in the trillions is still there and on shaky ground, why it has not collapsed is beyond me. I'm betting round two will show up one of these days and the other shoe drops to down the system.

Days

Commentator
The bankers walk and the little guy is hung out. I know 3 families that have been trying to sell their homes since 2009, but they can't prove who has the title. It keeps going to court and everyone argues to no resolve.
The derivative market in the trillions is still there and on shaky ground, why it has not collapsed is beyond me. I'm betting round two will show up one of these days and the other shoe drops to down the system.
At least mortgage based securities have something real behind them. That's why the FED bought 'em up (quantitative easing). But all these other derivatives are extremely complicated insurance tools written by actuaries; nobody knows what the hell they are, I think it is just a way of writing more money out of thin air on top of money written out of thin air. Theoretically, it is part of the currency, but who wants the crap? Trillions of dollars of sophisticated insurance is tied up in a tiny "market" between the elite corporations that can print money as part of the FED stock owner corps. The only reason it doesn't collapse is just because it doesn't circulate. It isn't really money; it doesn't have broad recognition and acceptance (it has almost zero of that) and it isn't used for trade, so it isn't really money. Every now and then, the globalists will try to fence some of it through government; but nobody wants it or recognizes it, so how can govt use it? If they ever manage to circulate the derivative market into the broader money system, it would collapse the planet. Our money would become like the German Mark after WWI... worthless.

And yeah, they destroyed the housing market, screwed up Title something fierce, wiped out lenders and brokers, it's a huge mess. I still have contacts from the industry that urge me to go back into loan originating, but I'm not the least bit interested. There's no one to broker. The big banks cut the warehouse lines of credit to the lenders, put 'em out of business. Really, it has reverted totally back to in-house loan officers, you have to get your loan from the man, these days; hope he likes you.

Days

Commentator
the whole system disgusts me, but not much you can do.
The bankers seduced the nations into using their money. The whole planet is fucked. No one owns anything any more, we are all slaves to the central banks. The illusion is that the money in your pocket is yours; it isn't; the money in your pocket is a promissory Note written against your own debt to the central bank; aka, it is your ball and chain. Soon they will stamp us all with bar codes, whatever the technology, we are just merchandise to the bankers, they own us.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
Not a good picture and not much one can do.
I'll be in my bedroom closet sucking my thumb! That seems to work best for these issues.