• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What happens if we have a real nationwide emergency?

Gramps

Mayor
WE're snowed in, kind'a. Plows are out, some main streets are passable. It began only yesterday evening and I see on the TV that super markets are experiencing empty shelves for some items. Are we that ill prepared that we don't have enough stock in our pantries to see through a day or two? Really? Are we living in a hand-to-mouth society without a buffer of anything?

What does this indicate about our predicament should a national emergency arise? It could, you know. Would there be food riots in a matter of days?

Just a few thoughts on the subject. I have always made it a practice to keep enough backup goods in reserve to carry me and mine for a short period of time -- I mean non-perishable food and adequate water fit to drink. I know that sounds almost Mormonish in light of their policies to be prepared that go back to the early founders in a time when storage of such articles was limited. I would have to agree with them on that point.

Just curious. What is your take on this?

Gramps

U think that it is a wise move. I too keep enough food and water on me and mine for a week. One of my two vechiles always has a full tank of gas. I also have a bug out bag of food, first aid kit and a tent of shelter along with blankets. I don't know if I will ever have to use them, but I would rather have them and not need them. Also knives, two small caliber firearms for food, a camp axe, small machete and a couple of survival knives just to be on the safe side.

Gramps

Mayor
we're in sync on that. Iet takes a lot more than food and water to survive in the long term but I think older people realize that more than the younger set.

Gramps
\

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Because the wife is a 'canner'. we've got enough food around to last us a few months. Not to mention water, guns, ammunition, and medical supplies.

If the shit really hit the fan...we'd be fine.

For a while.

D

Doc

WE're snowed in, kind'a. Plows are out, some main streets are passable. It began only yesterday evening and I see on the TV that super markets are experiencing empty shelves for some items. Are we that ill prepared that we don't have enough stock in our pantries to see through a day or two? Really? Are we living in a hand-to-mouth society without a buffer of anything?

What does this indicate about our predicament should a national emergency arise? It could, you know. Would there be food riots in a matter of days?

Just a few thoughts on the subject. I have always made it a practice to keep enough backup goods in reserve to carry me and mine for a short period of time -- I mean non-perishable food and adequate water fit to drink. I know that sounds almost Mormonish in light of their policies to be prepared that go back to the early founders in a time when storage of such articles was limited. I would have to agree with them on that point.

Just curious. What is your take on this?

Gramps
Quite simply, Gramps...if transportation and communications break down...we are in a WORLD of SHIT!

iPhones won't till fields. Personal Computers will not provide clean water. And Televisions will not set a broken arm, stitch a wound, or, provide anti-biotics......

we're in sync on that. Iet takes a lot more than food and water to survive in the long term but I think older people realize that more than the younger set.

Gramps
\
You've got that right buddy, but luckily I like to fish and camp so alot of the things I have I aquired over time. I'd hate to have and go out and purchase it now all at once.

Wulk

Mayor
I think, Gramps, that anyone who is ex-armed forces has the backup mentality built in to them. I've got enough food, rice, pasta, tinned, to last me about a month. Go my little petrol camping stove for cooking. And, if I run out of petrol I've still got my old army hexamine stove, with some quite decayed blocks of hexamine, also got some fire lighters as back up for that too. No firearms, but plenty of weapons lying around.

If things got bad enough I could take to the hills - still got all my old ex-army field gear, plus my tactical fishing pole, it collapses down to about 12". Got the loch for fishing, and, the coast is just over the hill.

Give you a tip, which you may, or may not know. If you're going to use a knife/machete to hack through timber, don't hack away with the knife/machete, you'll only get blisters and work up a good sweat. Instead, present the edge of the blade to the wood, and thump the back of the knife blade with a solid hunk of wood/small tree branch. Using that method you should be able to hack through an average pine tree in about 10/15 minutes. That method also saves you from getting knife/machete bites :)