• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

what is ethical, what makes sense for a business

Council Member
About 3 months ago I received a check for 69.00. It came from an insurance company, rather a large one at that. I called them to find out what I was getting this check for and they said it was for over payment. We said we didn't send them any money over the cost of my life ins prem. We were told that we must be mistaken.

Ok we said and donated the gift to charity as we didn't think it was ours.
Now almost thee months later i get a certified letter that they paid 6.00 to send to me telling me we owe them 69.00 because it was credited to our account by mistake.

Being a little pissed, I spent almost ah hour on the phone this time, 20 minutes the first time, and talked to one person after another who I was passed onto because nobody could answer a simple question I wanted an answer to.

If In kept the money and they issued the 1099 to me that the letter said they would, would that end it. Well after 5 people and almost an hour I got an answer, that they will issue the 1099 and still want their money back.

and you wonder why business needs looking after.

They have spent more in writing a three page letter, having people spend over an hour on the phone, paying for delivery, and now they will have to issue a 1099 which they will have to rescind it once they get the 69.00 from me.

They lose millions and don't know where they are and write it off, but spend 200.00 trying to get 69.00 back for their own mistake. LOL, is this the people who need tax cuts?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
About 3 months ago I received a check for 69.00. It came from an insurance company, rather a large one at that. I called them to find out what I was getting this check for and they said it was for over payment. We said we didn't send them any money over the cost of my life ins prem. We were told that we must be mistaken.

Ok we said and donated the gift to charity as we didn't think it was ours.
Now almost thee months later i get a certified letter that they paid 6.00 to send to me telling me we owe them 69.00 because it was credited to our account by mistake.

Being a little pissed, I spent almost ah hour on the phone this time, 20 minutes the first time, and talked to one person after another who I was passed onto because nobody could answer a simple question I wanted an answer to.

If In kept the money and they issued the 1099 to me that the letter said they would, would that end it. Well after 5 people and almost an hour I got an answer, that they will issue the 1099 and still want their money back.

and you wonder why business needs looking after.

They have spent more in writing a three page letter, having people spend over an hour on the phone, paying for delivery, and now they will have to issue a 1099 which they will have to rescind it once they get the 69.00 from me.

They lose millions and don't know where they are and write it off, but spend 200.00 trying to get 69.00 back for their own mistake. LOL, is this the people who need tax cuts?
Mr. 8s,

they didn't spend any money except for the $6 certified letter. Those people on the phone and those who processed the letter are paid the same salery whether they talked you or Joe Blow from Kokomo.

I don't know why you were issued a 1099 because this is not income. Are you sure this wasn't an annuity overpayment?

The only person who is out of money is you, or not money, per say, but at least 2 hours of your time. So in reality, you are out about $200 to get them to explain why they mistakenly sent you extra money that you knew wasn't yours in the first place.

Council Member
Gee whiz thanks for explaing that for me, LOL. the next time they want to charge you for hooking up your phone when all they nhave to do is flip a switch, just tell them they were paying that person anyway, so why chage em. I hate to tell you but My wife worked in an insurance company and she always told me they figured it cost around 30.00 to write a letter of one page and send it off.

The problem I have is how dumb can an insurance or any business be. The cost to get the money back is going to be big if I don't want to do it. So why not just make a rule where they don't worry about anything under 100.00. just send out a letter asking for the money explaining the mistake and if you get it back great, it not then forget it.