• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What is the national debt?

Days

Commentator
First of all, do you have any idea how far behind the 8-Ball your taxes are?

Americans flat out do not understand the national debt. Let me show you the debt that we have to service; it is called "debt owed to the public" ... and it comes in the form of outstanding Treasuries - aka bonds that will be redeemed sooner or later - which your taxes will have to pay for. So, this is the real debt that has to be paid. This fluctuates as we sell new bonds constantly and pay off old bonds constantly, but if you take a snap shot of outstanding bonds at 12 month intervals, you can get an idea of the kind of trend we are on and the kind of pressure the US Treasury is under.

Now, look at how it escalated year by year:

DATE .............. OUTSTANDING .............. CHANGE OVER PREVIOUS YEAR

02/14/2006 ... $4,745,514,767,056.19

02/14/2007 ... $4,928,311,563,667.16 ... + $182,797 million

02/14/2008 ... $5,195,943,354,136.82 ... + $267,632 million

02/13/2009 ... $6,453,497,486,531.27 ... + $1,257,554 million

02/12/2010 ... $7,847,910,569,671.71 ... + $1,394,413 million

02/14/2011 ... $9,453,956,356,386.45 ... + $1,606,046 million

02/14/2012 ... $10,596,773,910,422.08 ... + $1,142,817 million

That's the bottom line, that's where the rubber meets the road.

Quantitative easing was a program by the Federal Reserve to buy 30 year bonds... it didn't increase or decrease our national debt, it just "restructured" it ... IOW those bonds won't be redeemed for 30 years, so we are not under the same pressure from them as we were/still are from all those two, three, and five year bonds that the Bush admin left outstanding for the current admin to pay off.

I listen to political arguments and frankly, both sides are just trying to say their side is doing a better job and yet neither side seems to make any sense. The GOP screams that the debt is escalating out of control without reckoning in that Bernanke stretched over a trillion of it out over 30 years, but they still have a valid point because outstanding Treasuries have double in the previous five years... and yet, the sensible solution then would be to raise taxes (its the only solution within the framework of the Federal Reserve system) and yet, while still screaming at the runaway debt, they scream even louder not to raise taxes. So that makes no sense. And then there's the Democrats who keep advocating more spending to bring in larger receipts (federal revenue) without reckoning in the global repositioning of capital investment that is limiting our private sector growth. Bailing out the banks and GM does produce results, but what will all that money spent on healthcare get back? nothing. So they waste too much money trying to fix the economy and it ends up making the debt worse. But at least they are trying to raise taxes on the rich, but you don't get any revenue from effort, so the bottom line is, revenues have not increased as much as spending. Arguing that we are headed in the right direction is fine and dandy, but it doesn't eliminate the Treasury bubble, only revenue does that. Does anyone think that next Valentines Day outstanding Treasuries won't have increased another Trillion? Trust me, they will.

So, when Romney says we will increase Defense spending even more... you should ask him, (as I was screaming at Bush this time in 2003) how are you going to pay for that? The answer is ... with your taxes. and in this day and age, that translates into an even higher deficit which will grow the Treasury bubble even larger. Santorum is talking to the Detroit economic club tonight. He will make lots of promises to business and he has some good ideas... but won't you won't hear is a single word about the Treasury bubble... so tell us, Rick, how will you balance the budget? And be realistic, the federal budget is out of whack with the economy, so this debt is going to keep growing, no matter what... good government will keep a lid on it ... bad government will lose all control and set us up for a default.

Days

Commentator
cutting spending doesn't work, it increases the debt relative to the shrinking economy.

We need to spend on effective economic stimulus, not waste the money. And yes, we need to increase taxes to narrow the deficit.

Days

Commentator
there's a dynamic to the size of this debt. Austerity measures would be a death sentence. We've got to grow our way out of this. Geinthner and Bernanke have done competent jobs of organizing the debt. But the bottom line is our government got used to embezzling the surplus from trust funds and using them to balance the general budget. About 3 1/2 years ago, the trust funds stopped running a surplus at the same time the stock market crashed... the federal budget was a total cluster
. We're lucky our heads are still above water.

DefeatObama

Council Member
youre gonna have to cut spending AND increase taxes or youre doomed
increase taxes after:
spending cuts happen. and not the bogus 'decrease the rate of increase' D.C. cuts... - cuts.
a balanced budget amendment passes capping the size of govt as a % of GDP
the border is closed and all illegals are accounted for
obamacare is repealed.
entitlement spending is reconciled.
an annual budget is passed.

THEN they can have more money

gabriel

Governor
our government used to borrow from the canada pension plan at low low low rates of interest but have got away from that nonsense and appointed independent investment counsel to invest the money

Days

Commentator
all such borrowing is embezzlement if anyone other than the government does it.

Regardless, that river ran dry for us, so now we have to stop wasting money and start raising revenue any way we can. But the political will to do so, is slow in coming.

gabriel

Governor
it cant come. your citizens take too much pleasure in their anger and hatred to get together and bite the bullet.

Days

Commentator
that's why I said...

Americans flat out do not understand the national debt.

so you are not alone.

gabriel

Governor
i read once that the problem can be traced back to the fact you inherited too many ulster scot immigrants. a more obstreperous lot was never seen! lol

Days

Commentator
They did just fine for centuries until we tried to make the whole lot of them into ultra high tech service teams.

Days

Commentator
I meant in the work force. I think you meant in our politics. I think you are on to something, there.

Days

Commentator
that's why I posted this. Americans are too busy arguing with each other to stop and learn what they are arguing about. The idea of working with each other runs against their genetic make up. They are so enamored with being gladiators, it never occurs to them that they are only slaves, and this continued in-fighting is sinking them deeper into slavery.