• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

What makes one tax rate wrong, and another right?

UPNYA2

Mayor
Phil, we understand its the tax code, the complaint is that its bulll shit.
So change it......

Sort of like how others understand gubment housing, food stamps etc. but complain anyway, only to be put down by libs saying that is our system, don't like it, change it.......

But I suspect that you know that promoting your lust for the monies of others is far easier than actually working to change things so you will instead opt to do THAT, am I right?

You KNOW I am.............

Bo-4

Senator
Uh-haaaa.......

And YOU are of the opinion he SHOULD be paying............what? Apparently whatever YOU "feel" appropriate, dam what the laws say.

Nothing in this world 'criminal" about THAT, huh, bo-bo?
You missed my point entirely (again) Uppy. Reread my post please and learn to identify sarcasm.

I think Mitt should pay MINIMALLY at Reagan era rates on the wealthy.

The laws WILL be changed despite your insistence on protecting a small group of folks who's net worth has doubled in the past decade.

mark14

Council Member
PhilFish: "What makes one tax rate wrong, and another right?

take Romney's effective at 15% (-ish) vs one of the 47 million whose effective is 0."

What is right or wrong is a moral issue and you might look to your sense of humanity or religion, if you have one, for your answer.

What makes it legal is the 16th Amendment which says

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

The phrase "without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration" has and interesting history as explained by "The US Constitution Online" -

"apportion v. to distribute proportionately Source: NMW

In the context of the Constitution, apportionment means that each state gets a number appropriate to its population. For example, Representatives are apportioned among the states, with the most populous getting the greater share. Direct taxes (of which there are none today) were to be charged to the states in this manner as well.

The need for apportionment of taxes, and the reason for it, is difficult for us to imagine today, but there were good reasons for it. The following is an explanation of the need for the Direct Tax Apportionment clause. It was written by Supreme Court Justice Paterson in Hylton v US (3 US 171 [1796]):

The constitution declares, that a capitation tax is a direct tax; and both in theory and practice, a tax on land is deemed to be a direct tax... The provision was made in favor of the southern states; they possessed a large number of slaves; they had extensive tracts of territory, thinly settled, and not very productive. A majority of the states had but few slaves, and several of them a limited territory, well settled, and in a high state of cultivation. The southern states, if no provision had been introduced in the constitution, would have been wholly at the mercy of the other states. Congress in such case, might tax slaves, at discretion or arbitrarily, and land in every part of the Union, after the same rate or measure: so much a head, in the first instance, and so much an acre, in the second. To guard them against imposition, in these particulars, was the reason of introducing the clause in the constitution."

So it seems we have evolved from protecting the slave owners from having to pay "unfair" taxes on the slaves they owned to the slaves of poverty and low wages from having to pay "unfair" taxes on themselves.

UPNYA2

Mayor
You missed my point entirely (again) Uppy. Reread my post please and learn to identify sarcasm.

I think Mitt should pay MINIMALLY at Reagan era rates on the wealthy.

The laws WILL be changed despite your insistence on protecting a small group of folks who's net worth has doubled in the past decade.

"I think Mitt should pay MINIMALLY at Reagan era rates on the wealthy."

THINK what you like, the sad reality for all of you libs on here lusting after more of Mitt's money, all he has to pay is at TODAY'S rates on the wealthy.

"The laws WILL be changed despite your insistence onThe laws WILL be changed despite your insistence on protecting a small group of folks who's net worth has doubled in the past decade."

And when they ARE changed, you libs WILL presist with your bizarre insistence on demanding that this same small group of folks who's net worth is more than yours, is more than YOU believe they 'deserve", pay MORE.

To be "fair".

GUAREN-FRICKIN-TEED. For your lust for what another has knows no bounds.

mark14

Council Member
Most because they make no money (or have a special deal worked out with the progressives in DC).
Make no money like EXXON or do you mean the special deal they worked out with progressives? Talking to you is like talking to a table.

fairsheet

Senator
Phil...you seem to've fallen in love with this strawman of yours. You seem desperate to "defend" Mitt against mythical charges of nefariousness around his effective tax rate. But as yet.....virtually NO one has suggested any sort of nefariousness.

If Mitt is "comfortable" with his effective rate and if he thinks it worthwile for him to politic that his rate should be even lower, he's free to make his case to his heart's content. Nobody's doing anything to stop him. In fact....it seems people are now ENCOURAGING him in this direction!

Council Member
take Romney's effective at 15% (-ish) vs one of the 47 million whose effective is 0 (zero)
The govt has said to every tax payer Phil, that until you make this much income it is not taxed. The reason being that they understand that to do otherwise would only push more people into poverty and onto the rolls of welfare and food stamps.

The problem to me isn't that Mitt has a 15% tax rate but why don't everyone who makes the money that mitt does. Why is income of mitts treated different than income to a person who gets paid for doing the work himself.

Not only that but most of us who are in the middle income area can not afford to invest and get this kind of income that is treated differently than work with your hands. Then those of us that do have savings, its mostly in IRA and 401K's which div's and capitol gains go straight into our accounts and we pay whatever the rate is just as if we created it with our hands, paying the higher rate as we take it out to live on.

To me it's unfair that 15% of our population is entitled to a what amounts to a tax cut that 85% of us have little gain to none from.

They are able to create wealth at a low tax rate and all we can do is use what little wealth we have to live on as we pay a higher rate.

The problem is that one person cam make a million dollars and pay 36% and another can earn a million and pay 15%. The rich have written the tax code to help the rich, and that is the rest of the story.

So change it......
America will need a progressive congress for this to happen.

It wont happen under a conservative congress, conservatives believe the rich should have all the breaks and it will "trickle" down to the rest of us.

This is what RayGun told them would happen and they STILL believe it regardless of the reality in front of them.

Lukey

Senator
Yeap, their EFFECTIVE tax rate gets down to 0%

WOW

Now conservatives are DEFENDING Mitt paying 15% and a middle class worker paying in the 20s??!?!?!
Well, if you include the 35% corporate tax rate paid before the dividends and capital gains are paid out, the net effective rate on corporate income is more like 50%. So, lower the corporate rate and then raise the investment income rate - because no one in America should have to pay half of what they earn to the "collective."