• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Where are all the Conservatives?

degsme

Council Member
Where are all the conservatives? If you look at the "Posts by this poster" of the leading conservative posters, you find that most of the leading ones are posting 1-4 posts in the open forums/day. Yet they daily post count totals (from the Community Rankings) indicate a much higher level of activity.

This suggests that most are posting in the private ROC forum or the Crossfire Forum.

To me, this suggests that the way the current rules are structured IS NOT WORKING. Here's why.

The current rules allow for drive-by name calling of large groups in a passive aggressive manner. But they only allow a direct honest engagement in either the private forums, or only if you have an established conversational relationship. Thus they encourage non-interactive name calling and not taking personal ownership of your actions.

This soft of passive-aggressive discussion realm fosters cliques. It does not reward honest, challenging engagement.For example -

• if I call out a poster for lying when I can show that what they are posting is provably untrue
    vs.
  • if I call out a poster for lying simply because they are being sarcastic
    vs.
  • if I call out a poster for lying because I'm too lazy to engage in a factual debate
    vs
  • if I call out a poster as a liar passive aggressively simply by calling out everyone who fits in a similar category as "liar"

These are FOUR DIFFERENT kinds of interactions. The First 2 are very much part of an engaged give and take of conflicted discussions. (C) is simply laziness and in some cases, an intentional attempt to disrupt
(D) is ALWAYS an intent to disrupt.

And yet under the rules, only (D) is permitted.... How that leads to engaged discussions is beyond me. And I think we are seeing this occurring here. With so called "ROC" leaders warning their flock against engaging with "those liberals" - and liberals strategizing on how to deal with the name calling.

Dave that's just not working. I strongly urge you to reconsider the rules of the forum

Citizen

Council Member
great & insightfull post. I agree 100%. You won't see any support from the right though, is my bet.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I think most of the FrayCons who came here just can't let go of Fray-style posting. That don't wash here and they can't hack it.

degsme

Council Member
I refer you to Dave's post here of 5-01-2012
Yes and I am commenting on that via Op Ed. Dave's thread was hijacked by a ROC poster he1l bent on proving how "lefties lie".

Your knee-jerk reaction to my oped is telling. You are not Dave, and I believe it is presumptuous of you to speak for Dave.

Another way to put it Jen is that you carry as much authority as the quality of your posting enmantles you with.....

Citizen

Council Member
I refer you to Dave's post here of 5-01-2012
I refer you to Daves words:

Your political alignment means nothing when we get a report other than that we require a ROC mod handle ROC problems and LOC mod to handle LOC problems. When YOU get an infraction, it is at the recommendation of a moderator from YOUR side only. The other side doesn't even need to chime in (unless there is some back and forth stuff), and the other side never gives a recommendation on "infractions". As of now, I am the only one that hands out infractions, but this might change this week (ROC mods would hand out ROC infractions and vice versa). No favoritism here folks.. You are being judged by your PEERS, so get a hint.

And ask what Mod or mods are modding my posts?

degsme

Council Member
I refer you to Daves words:

Your political alignment means nothing when we get a report other than that we require a ROC mod handle ROC problems and LOC mod to handle LOC problems. When YOU get an infraction, it is at the recommendation of a moderator from YOUR side only. The other side doesn't even need to chime in (unless there is some back and forth stuff), and the other side never gives a recommendation on "infractions". As of now, I am the only one that hands out infractions, but this might change this week (ROC mods would hand out ROC infractions and vice versa). No favoritism here folks.. You are being judged by your PEERS, so get a hint.

And ask what Mod or mods are modding my posts?
That's an interesting quesiton that you raise Citizen - because I don't consider myself Right Of Center, and Jen I don't think counts as a Left Of Center Moderator....

So clarification Dave? Am I in trouble for pointing this out in this post since that means I'm questioning a Moderator? Or does it mean that Jen overstepped her brief?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
what is it that you are theorizing.. that referring you to a post by dave is 'modding'?

P

PACE

Yo Phil, I take it Jen is not here as a moderator rather as a poster, what's your opinion on that?

Regards
Pace

P

PACE

What the point of this? please elaborate, before we start, are you posting as a poster or a moderator? it matters in this discussion.

Regards
Pace

degsme

Council Member
what is it that you are theorizing.. that referring you to a post by dave is 'modding'?
Well moderators are here to remind and enforce the rules. So why would someone refer me to Dave's posts on the rules if that wasn't the goal?

Because otherwise my commentary is clearly on the current rules themselves and a request for Dave to reconsider and offering observations about the posting patterns to back up why I thnk it should be considered.

In that context - how is Jen's comment relevant other than as a moderator?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Pace. I take it that it was a reply as a poster. given Degs inquiry. is it problematic in that context..that she referred to a post dave made?

i think degs is spot on as to the 'passive aggressive' thing.. though i think the scope is off...

what do you think?

degsme

Council Member
Hi Pace. I take it that it was a reply as a poster. given Degs inquiry. is it problematic in that context..that she referred to a post dave made?

i think degs is spot on as to the 'passive aggressive' thing.. though i think the scope is off...

what do you think?
How is a post devoid of content and instead a pointer BY A MODERATOR - TO THE RULES - a "reply as a poster"?

Citizen

Council Member
Well moderators are here to remind and enforce the rules. So why would someone refer me to Dave's posts on the rules if that wasn't the goal?

Because otherwise my commentary is clearly on the current rules themselves and a request for Dave to reconsider and offering observations about the posting patterns to back up why I thnk it should be considered.

In that context - how is Jen's comment relevant other than as a moderator?
hey, he'll be able to spin it.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
well...where are the cons? is a might different form where is dave? is it not.

i think dave is considering a lot of things. hopefully he'll conclude that soon.. thinking, that is..

posting as Phil, btw....so feel free...

degsme

Council Member
well...where are the cons? is a might different form where is dave? is it not.

i think dave is considering a lot of things. hopefully he'll conclude that soon.. thinking, that is..

posting as Phil, btw....so feel free...
Sure - thanks for the clarification Phil. - note that since your post has thoughtful content its clear its not a moderation.

While I consider Dave to be himself slightly ROC given his statements, I don't think he counts as a full on conservative. What I was commenting on was the disengagement by most of the regular conservatives from the mainstream forum. And opining as to why.

I do hope Dave keeps in mind some of the thoughtful suggestions.