• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Which is worse, the confederate flag or a nazi flag . . . ?

000 general lee.jpg

And which one should be banned completely, because it is non-essential to the concept of free speech?

Full disclosure – as a white (non hispanic) northern secular woman of jewish ancestry, I don’t have either flag. So you might think the question is academic. But then again, you might not, if someone decided that your dispay of an Irish flag or similar memorabilia was offensive, due to the “troubles” with the IRA, or Ireland’s history of repressing the rights of women, or they just feel leprechauns are an offensive stereotype.

Two boys have been suspended “indefinitely” in Long Island for entering the school premises with a confederate flag. Since this is Long Island, I think we can safely assume they weren’t championing secession and the right to own slaves. But you never know. Oh, my bad . . . yes we do know. The flag was simply a prop at an athletic event (some sort of north south game) and they brought it with them back to school.

So if the flag itself can get you expelled indefinitely, what’s the penalty if you open your history book to the chapter on the civil war, and make a photocopy of a page which has the confederate flag? Or during a locker search you are found to have a DVD of the “Dukes of Hazard” (starring my fave, Johnny Knoxville)? It’s hard to say . . .

We already know that the public education system in Missouri got this question right, when THEY were faced with it. At one point the notorious Mr. Miller/Cross, of anti-semitic fame, but who shot catholics by due to incompetence, appeared on campus as a “guest lecturer” – invited by the Poli Sci department so that students could hear first hand what fringe and unpopular political parties espouse. (Full disclosure – Mr. Miller/Cross appeared in class without compensaton, and no taxpayer dollars were used to support or suppress his views).

Let’s now come back to the Long Island high school dudes-of-hazard. Should they actually be suspended indefinitely? And what does “indefinitely” mean?

My guess is that in this case indefinitely means “until the ACLU files a free speech brief on behalf of the students”. Thank goodness this is America, and not France, where you can be expelled from school for wearing muslim headgarb, the star of david, or christian cross, eh?

But I think this event has the potential to become an amazing “teachable moment” for students – and administrators – at this hapless blue state high school. The constitution in action, and what free speech actually means. This is something these students will remember long after the senior prom and the big football game, no?

View attachment 25006

And which one should be banned completely, because it is non-essential to the concept of free speech?

Full disclosure – as a white (non hispanic) northern secular woman of jewish ancestry, I don’t have either flag. So you might think the question is academic. But then again, you might not, if someone decided that your dispay of an Irish flag or similar memorabilia was offensive, due to the “troubles” with the IRA, or Ireland’s history of repressing the rights of women, or they just feel leprechauns are an offensive stereotype.

Two boys have been suspended “indefinitely” in Long Island for entering the school premises with a confederate flag. Since this is Long Island, I think we can safely assume they weren’t championing secession and the right to own slaves. But you never know. Oh, my bad . . . yes we do know. The flag was simply a prop at an athletic event (some sort of north south game) and they brought it with them back to school.

So if the flag itself can get you expelled indefinitely, what’s the penalty if you open your history book to the chapter on the civil war, and make a photocopy of a page which has the confederate flag? Or during a locker search you are found to have a DVD of the “Dukes of Hazard” (starring my fave, Johnny Knoxville)? It’s hard to say . . .

We already know that the public education system in Missouri got this question right, when THEY were faced with it. At one point the notorious Mr. Miller/Cross, of anti-semitic fame, but who shot catholics by due to incompetence, appeared on campus as a “guest lecturer” – invited by the Poli Sci department so that students could hear first hand what fringe and unpopular political parties espouse. (Full disclosure – Mr. Miller/Cross appeared in class without compensaton, and no taxpayer dollars were used to support or suppress his views).

Let’s now come back to the Long Island high school dudes-of-hazard. Should they actually be suspended indefinitely? And what does “indefinitely” mean?

My guess is that in this case indefinitely means “until the ACLU files a free speech brief on behalf of the students”. Thank goodness this is America, and not France, where you can be expelled from school for wearing muslim headgarb, the star of david, or christian cross, eh?

But I think this event has the potential to become an amazing “teachable moment” for students – and administrators – at this hapless blue state high school. The constitution in action, and what free speech actually means. This is something these students will remember long after the senior prom and the big football game, no?
Free speech is free speech as long as you don't do something stupid like yelling fire in a theater. I find it interesting how free speech evolves. In the 60's when I was going to university just wearing an article of clothing that looked like the flag could get you arrested for dishonoring the flag and now it is considered honoring the flag. Maybe in time all people will realize that this is a free country. I hate the ideas many people follow in this country, but I would fight for them to keep them. In fact that is one reason I joined the military out of college put in my required three years. As long as those ideas follow the law and don't infringe on someone elses's freedoms.

D

Deleted 2.1Saladin

Either flag equally repulsive. One represents the Confederacy which was Republicans and their slavery, the other represents someone who was like republicans that wanted to get rid of the jews or enslave them.

The Confederacy didn't have ovens and concentration camps. There were even Black slave owners. And, not that slavery is a legitimate thing, but the fact is that many of the slaves were treated quite well, as the plantation owners took care of their property.

And with the new taxes Obama wants, he's trying to enslave anyone who pays taxes, by stealing the money honestly earned with the sweat of the brow.

Any taxes used for wealth redistribution, are slavery; enslave the person paying them for the amount of time it took to him earn them.

Obama’s wish list from 2009 to now: 442 new taxes and feeshttp://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...axes-and-fees/

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Barbella, what flag did you parents have up back in the 1930s?

:)
how may slaves did your parents/grandparents own in 1930_______? Remember, they were republicans, they probably owned none, democrats owned the plantations, the party you now belong toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo☻

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Free speech is free speech as long as you don't do something stupid like yelling fire in a theater. I find it interesting how free speech evolves. In the 60's when I was going to university just wearing an article of clothing that looked like the flag could get you arrested for dishonoring the flag and now it is considered honoring the flag. Maybe in time all people will realize that this is a free country. I hate the ideas many people follow in this country, but I would fight for them to keep them. In fact that is one reason I joined the military out of college put in my required three years. As long as those ideas follow the law and don't infringe on someone elses's freedoms.
"required three years"...............try 6...........not 3...........active/inactive..........who ya trying to bullshitt?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Either flag equally repulsive. One represents the Confederacy which was Republicans and their slavery, the other represents someone who was like republicans that wanted to get rid of the jews or enslave them.
how stupid are you really? ALL slave plantations where owned by Democrats and Blacks where TOP slave owners.........