• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Why doesn't anyone ever mention WHITE slaves?

EatTheRich

President
There were not "laws" per se. The slave traders would come and they would make deals with certain tribes who had prisoners. The tribes who had prisoners knew it was either their prisoners or them. So, they sold their countrymen into slavery. I guess it was a good way to get rid of an enemy, too, in the process.
I don't believe this is how most Africans ended up here. I think most were kidnapped. The Africans selling other Africans scenario is more soothing to the conscience, I guess.
From what I've read, most of the slaves brought to the U.S. were at some point sold by Africans. The introduction of modern European guns created both the means to wage large scale warfare and a demand for slaves to exchange for them and kingdoms that had long been at war with each other over control of cities, mines, and trade routes--and would soon find themselves at war with European powers--scrambled to find more slaves to build up their militaries.

There were 4 major sources (the Caribbean where slaves were purchased at 2nd hand excluded) of slaves for the U.S. market, each with its own dynamic. In order of how many total slaves they supplied there were:

1. The Bight of Benin (Togo, Benin, W. Nigeria). Slaves were sold by the powerful Yoruba, Fon, and Edo kingdoms of the region that fought each other over control of castles which controlled access to ports. Most slaves were captured in wars among these kingdoms. Especially toward the beginning of the era of the Atlantic slave trade, and especially in the Fon kingdom of Dahomey, slaves who were not purchased were sacrificed, an ancient religious rite with roots in the religion of the old Ghana Empire. Seeing that this made Europeans more likely to buy these slaves with good conscience, the rate of human sacrifice was dialed up tremendously in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.
2. The Bight of Biafra (E. Nigeria). Most of the slaves here were sold by the Ijaw Ibibio kingdoms of Bonny and Calabar, but some were also sold by many of the Igbo city-states that fought them over control of the Niger Delta. Here slavery was a frankly commercial endeavor--really the first example of capitalism in Africa--in which investors would find expeditions upriver to capture members of less technologically endowed tribes for sale. This set off an upriver warfare of these tribes to enslave and sell members of other tribes to protect their own.
3. Senegambia (Senegal and Gambia). When talking about slaves brought to the U.S., here we are talking about slaves brought mostly in the early 17th century. Most of these slaves came from the Fulani jihad states in which Muslims raided traditional kingdoms of the region--many of which had taken Muslims as slaves in early centuries of African domestic slavery--and took non-Muslims to sell to Europeans and African kingdoms for horses and guns. Traditional local kingdoms, in decline due to the rise of Morocco, and ill-equipped for warfare, also sold criminals into slavery in considerable numbers.
4. West Central Africa (Atlantic coast of Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Angola). This featured late in the slave trade to the Americas, mostly after the U.S. gained independence. Most of the slaves from here at this time were indeed captured by European (Portuguese) raiders.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
From what I've read, most of the slaves brought to the U.S. were at some point sold by Africans. The introduction of modern European guns created both the means to wage large scale warfare and a demand for slaves to exchange for them and kingdoms that had long been at war with each other over control of cities, mines, and trade routes--and would soon find themselves at war with European powers--scrambled to find more slaves to build up their militaries.

There were 4 major sources (the Caribbean where slaves were purchased at 2nd hand excluded) of slaves for the U.S. market, each with its own dynamic. In order of how many total slaves they supplied there were:

1. The Bight of Benin (Togo, Benin, W. Nigeria). Slaves were sold by the powerful Yoruba, Fon, and Edo kingdoms of the region that fought each other over control of castles which controlled access to ports. Most slaves were captured in wars among these kingdoms. Especially toward the beginning of the era of the Atlantic slave trade, and especially in the Fon kingdom of Dahomey, slaves who were not purchased were sacrificed, an ancient religious rite with roots in the religion of the old Ghana Empire. Seeing that this made Europeans more likely to buy these slaves with good conscience, the rate of human sacrifice was dialed up tremendously in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.
2. The Bight of Biafra (E. Nigeria). Most of the slaves here were sold by the Ijaw Ibibio kingdoms of Bonny and Calabar, but some were also sold by many of the Igbo city-states that fought them over control of the Niger Delta. Here slavery was a frankly commercial endeavor--really the first example of capitalism in Africa--in which investors would find expeditions upriver to capture members of less technologically endowed tribes for sale. This set off an upriver warfare of these tribes to enslave and sell members of other tribes to protect their own.
3. Senegambia (Senegal and Gambia). When talking about slaves brought to the U.S., here we are talking about slaves brought mostly in the early 17th century. Most of these slaves came from the Fulani jihad states in which Muslims raided traditional kingdoms of the region--many of which had taken Muslims as slaves in early centuries of African domestic slavery--and took non-Muslims to sell to Europeans and African kingdoms for horses and guns. Traditional local kingdoms, in decline due to the rise of Morocco, and ill-equipped for warfare, also sold criminals into slavery in considerable numbers.
4. West Central Africa (Atlantic coast of Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Angola). This featured late in the slave trade to the Americas, mostly after the U.S. gained independence. Most of the slaves from here at this time were indeed captured by European (Portuguese) raiders.
Thank you for this info. Do you have a degree in history?

EatTheRich

President
Their Usual Fate Was to Become a Lion's Lunch

It wasn't their king who sold them; they were prisoners taken in unending wars between local tribes. Before the Moslems and Whites came, POWs were automatically eaten or had their heads shrunk. So slavery saved their lives, and it gave them a better life than they had ever experienced in the jungle.
Head shrinking was a S. American, not African, practice. There was some cannibalism in Africa but it was less prevalent there than any other inhabited continent. The European demand for African slaves stimulated a terrific increase in the amount of war.

EatTheRich

President
Sanger knew by forming PP she could get rid of black babies and still doing it..
Her goal quite clearly was access to birth control ... she compromised with racism to get that access for middle-class white women because racism was a dominant force in society at the time.

EatTheRich

President
Thank you for this info. Do you have a degree in history?
No, philosophy. I have found some good books about African history and the slave trade though:

The State of Africa by Martin Meredith
Africa in History by Basil Davidson (dated but still very informative)
The Slave Trade by Hugh Thomas
Blues People by LeRoi Jones (now American Baraka, a study of the African roots of African-American culture with a special emphasis on music)

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
No, philosophy. I have found some good books about African history and the slave trade though:

The State of Africa by Martin Meredith
Africa in History by Basil Davidson (dated but still very informative)
The Slave Trade by Hugh Thomas
Blues People by LeRoi Jones (now American Baraka, a study of the African roots of African-American culture with a special emphasis on music)
I'm going to write these titles down and ask for them at the library. Thank you.:)

EatTheRich

President
I'm going to write these titles down and ask for them at the library. Thank you.:)
The Meredith book was also released with the title The Fate of Africa but it's exactly the same book. He has another one called The Fortunes of Africa that covers a lot of the same material but includes more ancient history.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
Your history lessons must have ended at the 7th grade. I have been a student of history all my life.That's why I know better than to believe the crap you post.
What did I say that wasn't the truth? LOL You know very little history. I remember you had never heard of William Lloyd Garrison, who was one of America's greatest abolitionists. And you a student of history all your life? LOL

Try reading some unbiased history that tells the facts. Sounds to me like you would rather read EatTheRich's communist-slanted black history--you know the type. It keeps the Blacks very loyal to the left.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
What did I say that wasn't the truth? LOL You know very little history. I remember you had never heard of William Lloyd Garrison, who was one of America's greatest abolitionists. And you a student of history all your life? LOL

Try reading some unbiased history that tells the facts. Sounds to me like you would rather read EatTheRich's communist-slanted black history--you know the type. It keeps the Blacks very loyal to the left.
No, I had never heard of William Lloyd Garrison. But I have heard of (and read about) Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Fredrick Douglas, Harriet Beecher Stowe , Wendell Phillips and John Brown. There were many abolitionists.:)
EatTheRich is a student of history too. I can tell by his posts. I learn a lot from him. You should read his posts. You could learn from him also.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
1)Whites were not stripped of their names, language, history or culture when they were bought here. The Africans lost all those things. How were they "stripped" of all these things? Do you mean that after they got to America they forgot their names and history? As far as language is concerned, how many people who immigrated from other countries know how to speak their ancestors' language? Do you think the descendants of slaves should still be speaking their various languages? Immigrants generally give up their native languages to merge into their new societies. I don't know the languages of my ancestors.

All immigrants basically changed their old culture to become part of the American culture. Africans might have given up their culture, but they formed a new one--which they still use today to their detriment (slave culture). How about getting on with life and quit speaking like a slave on a plantation and getting some pride of heritage?

2)Whites had a voice in Europe to speak for them. So that put a limit on how much they could be mistreated, dehumanized. The Africans didn't have any voice to speak up for them. Africa at the time and place of the slave traffic was not developed. What do you expect? The leaders in Africa were the ones selling off the others.

3)Most importantly, Whites were White. They were the same color as the slave masters and easier to bring into the fold. The slave masters basically told them, "Hey, help me keep these n****s in line and I'll make sure you get certain rights and priviledges that I won't give them". Get over it. Blacks today, who have successfully become part of America's society and culture, don't have nearly the problems of the "others." And the "others" tend to ridicule them as Uncle Toms, or worse.
You are correct, Kunta Kinte became Toby, much to his chagrin.