• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

why is it that religious belief

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
..is cast as illogical and so readily and wholeheartedly assailed, ridiculed, belittled by many here who don't believe in god and so forth. Yet these same persons don't suffer an iotas worth of disagreement on such topics as same sex marriage, homosexuality, etc.?

Aren't attacks against each/any all a form of intolerance and hate?

Last edited:

fairsheet

Senator
..is cast as illogical and so readily and wholeheartedly assailed, ridiculed, belittled by many here who don't believe in god and so forth. Yet these same persons don't suffer an iotas worth of disagreement on such topics as same sex marriage, homosexuality, etc.?

Aren't they all a form of intolerance and hate?
How are same sex marriage and homosexuality, matters of intolerance and hate? Is the fact that most of us take issue with Nazis, and pedophiles, and tinpots a matter of intolerance and hate?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor

Aren't they all a form of intolerance and hate?
Mr. Fish,

Athiest are like fundimentalist Islamist; they are inherently intolerent of differing thought. They so fear that if a position besides their's is taught, or even mentioned publicly, it will draw their faithful away and somehow diminish them.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
How are same sex marriage and homosexuality, matters of intolerance and hate? Is the fact that most of us take issue with Nazis, and pedophiles, and tinpots a matter of intolerance and hate?
Attacks or disagreement with was my point...

Jen

Senator

Exactly, Phil.
It falls under the Liberal or atheist habitor rule of issuing of as many and varied the ad hominem name calling attacks as possible to discredit any belief in God and defame anyone "stupid" enough to believe.

Last edited:

BobbyT

Governor

The difference is between disagreeing with or questioning (what you call 'assailing, etc.) someone's beliefs (their political stance, their views on religion, basically their opinion on anything), which is what each of us on all sides of any issue do regularly; and disagreeing or questioning with what someone is. Homosexuality isn't a belief system, it is part and parcel of who someone is. Calling religious people stupid is akin to calling liberals moochers (both of which we see here regularly). Disagreeing with homosexuality is like disagreeing that people should have blue eyes.

That said, if you're overly sensitive to people vociferously disagreeing with your religious beliefs, don't present them here. But they're just as much fair game for disagreement as any other opinion you choose to air here.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
The difference is between disagreeing with or questioning (what you call 'assailing, etc.) someone's beliefs (their political stance, their views on religion, basically their opinion on anything), which is what each of us on all sides of any issue do regularly; and disagreeing or questioning with what someone is. Homosexuality isn't a belief system, it is part and parcel of who someone is. Calling religious people stupid is akin to calling liberals moochers (both of which we see here regularly). Disagreeing with homosexuality is like disagreeing that people should have blue eyes.

That said, if you're overly sensitive to people vociferously disagreeing with your religious beliefs, don't present them here. But they're just as much fair game for disagreement as any other opinion you choose to air here.

BobbyT

Governor
Whew ..... play that victim card dude! What are the statistics on teenagers being thrown out of their homes for declaring they're Christian? How hard do Christians have to work to have their marriages conducted in one state recognized in another state? What, exactly and specifically, are the penalties for 'coming out' as Christian?

Charcat

One of the Patsy's

Yes, these attacks are ABSOLUTELY a form of intolerance and hate, but progressives are known for their double standards.

BobbyT

Governor
Yes, these attacks are ABSOLUTELY a form of intolerance and hate, but progressives are known for their double standards.
How exactly is an 'attack' on your Christian beliefs any different than an 'attack' on progressives? Answer: it's not. It's the nature of expository discourse. If you don't like it, don't bring up your religious beliefs. If I couldn't take my liberal/progressive beliefs attacked continuously, I wouldn't be here self-identifying as a liberal progressive.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Whew ..... play that victim card dude! What are the statistics on teenagers being thrown out of their homes for declaring they're Christian? How hard do Christians have to work to have their marriages conducted in one state recognized in another state? What, exactly and specifically, are the penalties for 'coming out' as Christian?
if you must ask, it's proof you have not been reading threads here by liberals on Phil......for asking a question and giving an answer on his faith libs want to crucify Phil.........a freakin' simple question and his opinion........don't ask me stupidly questions√

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
How exactly is an 'attack' on your Christian beliefs any different than an 'attack' on progressives? Answer: it's not. It's the nature of expository discourse. If you don't like it, don't bring up your religious beliefs. If I couldn't take my liberal/progressive beliefs attacked continuously, I wouldn't be here self-identifying as a liberal progressive.
I don't believe I've ever brought up my religious beliefs. If so, could you tell me what they are? Others haven't either, except when being attacked for being Christian.

BobbyT

Governor
if you must ask, it's proof you have not been reading threads here by liberals on Phil......for asking a question and giving an answer on his faith libs want to crucify Phil.........a freakin' simple question and his opinion........don't ask me stupidly questions√
Really? Crucify? Just a smidge of hyperbole to go with your victimhood I guess.

Here in these great United States, people speak their opinions rather freely. On both sides. So, Phil had his say and those who oppose had their say. Sounds like a working Democratic society to me. Or do you think that just Phil should be able to speak and everyone else should just shut up?

BobbyT

Governor
I don't believe I've ever brought up my religious beliefs. If so, could you tell me what they are? Others haven't either, except when being attacked for being Christian.
Oh, then since you've never brought up your Christian beliefs, your specific Christian beliefs aren't being attacked. And if 'others haven't either' then their specific Christian beliefs aren't being attacked either. So there was no point to the top post. Problem solved. And I'll just accept your stated belief that 'progressives are known for their double standards' and therefore believe that I, as a declared progressive, are known for my double standards. So who exactly is attacking whom?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Really? Crucify? Just a smidge of hyperbole to go with your victimhood I guess.

Here in these great United States, people speak their opinions rather freely. On both sides. So, Phil had his say and those who oppose had their say. Sounds like a working Democratic society to me. Or do you think that just Phil should be able to speak and everyone else should just shut up?
How many gays have been removed from their jobs for speaking their opinions______Phil didn't call for hanging gays but GLADD made it seems as he did by their demands.........hell, we get banned from frays as this for speaking our opinions..........it may be America, but it's not the America I use to know. I expect no one to shut up, state their opinion and not go for blood........playing as if you don't see the difference is stupidly..........IMO

Havelock

Mayor
Oh, then since you've never brought up your Christian beliefs, your specific Christian beliefs aren't being attacked. And if 'others haven't either' then their specific Christian beliefs aren't being attacked either. So there was no point to the top post. Problem solved. And I'll just accept your stated belief that 'progressives are known for their double standards' and therefore believe that I, as a declared progressive, are known for my double standards. So who exactly is attacking whom?
Meh, it's just more of the same old tired rhetoric that equates challenges to irrational bias and assumed privilege to "hate" and "intolerance" and loss of unearned privilege to "persecution." Nothing to see here...

Cheers.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

well, no, not quite. by assailing, I meant assailing....i.e attacking, ridiculing, mocking, belittling ..casting as illogical and lesser than...those who believe otherwise.

why can it, religion, be cast as illogical....yet someones view on homosexuality, cast similarly, is viewed as hatred.

questioning is one thing, and I think a fair means of discourse... which is part of, but not exclusively the limits of what is demonstrated here on PJ.

further, not sensitive in the slightest as my views have had limited airing here, and when so aired... I'm by no stretch of the imagination overly affected..

:)