• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Why the gold bugs are wrong

EatTheRich

President
The value of gold is in its rareness.

It does have some industrial use.
http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

And it makes more sense to me than using seashells. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_money

But silver, platinum, palladium, and copper makes sense too. Heck copper in old pennies is more valuable than a penny is today.
I was cleaning my room and I found an old penny with a picture of Queen Elizabeth on it. I kid you not, it was about the size of a Kennedy half dollar.

Wahbooz

Governor
I was cleaning my room and I found an old penny with a picture of Queen Elizabeth on it. I kid you not, it was about the size of a Kennedy half dollar.
Huh? Canadian large cents were minted from 1858 to 1920. Are you sure it's not Victoria? If I remember correctly, Victoria went from 1858 to 1901, when Edward VII replaced her. Or perhaps it's not Canadian, maybe Australia? Does it say PENNY or CENT?

Depending on it's condition and date, it could be worth from about $10 to as much as $150.

Last edited:

EatTheRich

President
Huh? Canadian large cents were minted from 1858 to 1920. Are you sure it's not Victoria? If I remember correctly, Victoria went from 1858 to 1901, when Edward VII replaced her. Or perhaps it's not Canadian, maybe Australia? Does it say PENNY or CENT?

Depending on it's condition and date, it could be worth from about $10 to as much as $150.
It's definitely Elizabeth. On the front it says "ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F D" (Fidei defensor for that last part?). On the back it says "ONE PENNY" and there is a picture of Minerva (?) on a throne holding a trident with a lighthouse (?) in the background and a British (?) flag design beneath the throne.

Update: I googled it and it's British, going for $5-$6 on Amazon and eBay.
2nd update: And the woman on the back is Britannia.

I'm trying to figure out where his room is.
I'm sure by now he's cashed in the value of the penny and invested in redundant camera systems, alarms systems, and armed personnel. He's probably already officially staked a copper mining claim with the UK Mining Authority. And so another natural resource of the people has been wrangled by ETR.

And the woman on the back is Britannia.
Columbia's ugly twin sister? :cool:

Rule, Britannia!
Lyrics

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

When Britain first, at heaven's command,
Arose from out the azure main,
This was the charter of the land,
And Guardian Angels sang this strain:

(Chorus)

The nations not so blest as thee
Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish great and free:
The dread and envy of them all.

(Chorus)

Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
As the loud blast that tears the skies
Serves but to root thy native oak.

(Chorus)

Thee haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame;
All their attempts to bend thee down
Will but arouse thy generous flame,
But work their woe and thy renown.

(Chorus)

To thee belongs the rural reign;
Thy cities shall with commerce shine;
All thine shall be the subject main,
And every shore it circles, thine.

(Chorus)

The Muses, still with freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coasts repair.
Blest isle! with matchless beauty crowned,
And manly hearts to guard the fair.

(Chorus)
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
It's definitely Elizabeth. On the front it says "ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F D" (Fidei defensor for that last part?). On the back it says "ONE PENNY" and there is a picture of Minerva (?) on a throne holding a trident with a lighthouse (?) in the background and a British (?) flag design beneath the throne.

Update: I googled it and it's British, going for $5-$6 on Amazon and eBay.
2nd update: And the woman on the back is Britannia.
Look deeper, you might find that Victoria penny.