• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Would you consider starting or expanding your business if Mitt is elected on 11/6?

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
I ask this because the starting a business and expanding a business really involve different sets of questions. Starting a business requires thinking about business development. Getting established and developing a regular revenue stream in the face of on-going costs is very hard to do (and not something that - contrary to Romney rhetoric - individuals do all by themselves.) If you are expanding your business, you are usually already established and have a steady revenue stream and have a pretty good handle on your recurring costs. Different businesses have different perspectives on growth. Expanding a business tends to increase the complexity of operations and makes managing the business harder. It often requires more bureaucracy. A lot of small established businesses (privately owned) are not particularly interested in growth (and thus won't create jobs). Big publicly-traded corporations often grow by expanding into new regions (e.g. Starbucks or Wal-Mart), doing new product development or engaging in acquistions or mergers. But ultimately, business expansion depends on a growth in demand that needs to be supplied and can cover the costs.

This is the stuff that I wonder about as a business person. Though I can see how Mitt's five point economic plan may benefit a handful of businessmen, the ones that finance his campaign, I don't see how he his plans will help small businesses (whether start-ups or established) or generate lots of middle-class wage jobs. And without a rebound by the middle class, growth will continue to sputter. I think that I know enough that I could find ways to make a buck - maybe a lot of bucks - under Mitt. But though I might do well, I think that the country as a whole would stagnate and decline. I'd rather see the country prosper and me earn a somewhat more modest ROI. I am doing fine. (BTW, I don't agree with everything that Barack Obama does but he is not an "enemy of small businessmen" or unwilling to listen to the problems of business people like me,