• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Would you help this guy?

Minotaur

Governor
That is the conundrum we face caught between wanting to help and knowing help can hurt. That issue is bigger than any one of us. I no longer give money because of addictions and mental illness that is so prevalent in the homeless communities. I do give food. I suspect money is better served donated to the homeless shelter and feeding programs to make sure food and beds are available for those needing it. Oddly helping draws more homeless to any community bringing its own issues but we can't let people starve. There are call centers and many entry jobs homeless people can apply for but they need cell phones and a place to bath, change, and sleep. For the one's who actually do want jobs it would be nice to be able to have a path and many cities do just that. Problem is they work hard asking for money but not all really do want jobs. Just a thought or two and I am not claiming my view as being the right view as it is a complex subject.

yeah, I helped a couple of homeless guys once... gave them a job, bought them some clothes, etc... they stole my weed-eater... an expensive one, $300+.

This guy in the video is an intelligent guy. Sad deal.. never know if they are honest or not.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Hard call, Cotton. I feel better about making contributions to shelter and food services for the indigent rather than simply handing them cash. Bringing them to your home is never a good idea.

At the time, Swimmer... had build a new house on a woody lot. Lot of clearing to do. The two guys worked for about two weeks. We got a lot done. Guess I didn't pay them enough. Thought I did. Anyway, they took a good Stihl weed-eater.

freyasman

Senator
That is the conundrum we face caught between wanting to help and knowing help can hurt. That issue is bigger than any one of us. I no longer give money because of addictions and mental illness that is so prevalent in the homeless communities. I do give food. I suspect money is better served donated to the homeless shelter and feeding programs to make sure food and beds are available for those needing it. Oddly helping draws more homeless to any community bringing its own issues but we can't let people starve. There are call centers and many entry jobs homeless people can apply for but they need cell phones and a place to bath, change, and sleep. For the one's who actually do want jobs it would be nice to be able to have a path and many cities do just that. Problem is they work hard asking for money but not all really do want jobs. Just a thought or two and I am not claiming my view as being the right view as it is a complex subject.
I gave a bedroll to an oldtimer in my town a couple years ago, but I never give money. As to the helping drawing more homeless to an area, it's a valid concern, but I leave "hobo signs" around warning them away from my area. I try to give the outdoor guys advice on where and even how to camp; (if I learned anything in 20yrs in the Infantry, it's how to live comfortably in the woods), but there really isn't much else I can do. http://www.worldpath.net/~minstrel/hobosign.htm