• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person?

Figjam

Mayor
...I wish people "Happy Holidays" - why get everyone's panties in a knot during this time of year? -

connieb

Senator
Or "Happy Holidays," or something else?
My Jewish Ex-husband and I put up a Christmas tree.... so why not? His family would frequently come over for our Christmas dinner, etc. Most of my neighbors were Jewish where we lived at that time and they all put out blue Christmas lights. we joked that we were going to decorate the tree in blue and clear lights and blue ornaments and it would be our "Hanuka bush", but we never really did that.

Now if I know it would offend someone, no, I would not do that. But, then they aren't people I would really be interested in spending time with or being around - or even wishing a merry christmas, to.

But, in my experience most people take it in the spirit with which it was meant - which is basically wishing someone well, and a good tidings and enjoy a day off of work if they are lucky. Even my Jewish relatives had created their own Christmas traditions - i.e... the breakfast they would make on the morning since they didn't have to work, or the going to the movies in the afternoon - or going to a Chinese Restaurant, etc. So, its like saying "happy fourth of july" or something to them.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Of course. I know many Jewish folks. They are not offended. They likewise wish me a Happy Hanukkah. Just because a person is Jewish doesn't mean I want his December 25th to suck.

I wish a Merry Christmas to all - irrespective of faith or non-faith.
:)
Why don't you say "Happy Hannukah" to those you know to be Jewish?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. That's weird but to each is own. I go with a holiday greeting other than "Merry Christmas" with those I know to be Jewish.
Why weird.. Wishing someone well in the christmas season is now wrong? Sure, I'll wish a Happy Hanukah as well..

Maybe secular consumerist gift giving wishes upon you... would be better..?

NightSwimmer

Senator
I have, but I knew the people personally.

I certainly have no problem with department stores establishing a policy of having their employees use the generic "Happy Holidays" greeting while they are on the clock.

Is that an example of "PC" behavior? Sure it is. So what? It's not as if it's a government mandate. Employees are also instructed to be cheerful toward customers, even if they'd prefer to tell them to kiss their asses.

Bugsy McGurk

President
My Jewish Ex-husband and I put up a Christmas tree.... so why not? His family would frequently come over for our Christmas dinner, etc. Most of my neighbors were Jewish where we lived at that time and they all put out blue Christmas lights. we joked that we were going to decorate the tree in blue and clear lights and blue ornaments and it would be our "Hanuka bush", but we never really did that.

Now if I know it would offend someone, no, I would not do that. But, then they aren't people I would really be interested in spending time with or being around - or even wishing a merry christmas, to.

But, in my experience most people take it in the spirit with which it was meant - which is basically wishing someone well, and a good tidings and enjoy a day off of work if they are lucky. Even my Jewish relatives had created their own Christmas traditions - i.e... the breakfast they would make on the morning since they didn't have to work, or the going to the movies in the afternoon - or going to a Chinese Restaurant, etc. So, its like saying "happy fourth of july" or something to them.
Wow. If you know a Jewish person would take offense at you wishing him "Merry Christmas" you would shun him?

Why not respect his religious beliefs and say "Happy Hannukah"?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Merry Christmas it's what I was raised saying, it's what I will die saying.........why is it liberals think they got to even control what people say?

BTW: would go to hell be what you'd rather be said?☻

Bugsy McGurk

President
Why weird.. Wishing someone well in the christmas season is now wrong? Sure, I'll wish a Happy Hanukah as well..

Maybe secular consumerist gift giving wishes upon you... would be better..?
I see. So you say both. Kinda clumsy, but better than just a "Merry Christmas" when you know someone is Jewish.