• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person?

Bugsy McGurk

President
it is commonly heard this time of year. surely you've heard its like before?
Yup. I just don't understand why some people choose that holiday greeting instead of a generic holiday greeting when speaking to someone whose faith they do not know.

It seems to me to be an in-your-face way of fighting the nonexistent War on Christmas.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. I just don't understand why some people choose that holiday greeting instead of a generic holiday greeting when speaking to someone whose faith they do not know.

It seems to me to be an in-your-face way of fighting the nonexistent War on Christmas.

I duuno about any war. I just celebrate...

this conversation sounds like a bunch of Republicans.

Renee made a "cute remark" about me not having Muslim or Jewish friends.. I don't ask people what their religion is or is not. None of my business. ...

How many here have a lot of Muslim and Jewish friends? Ok, picking a random number...10 friends that are Muslim or Jewish. How many times of the year do you see these people? During Christmas how many times will see them?

Ok, you have some close friends that are Jewish or Muslims... if you are uncomfortable on what to say, ask them.

You folks must not have anything to do...

NightSwimmer

Senator
This is obviously fairly trivial - no one suffers great harm no matter but someone says - but it's triviality does not stop the "War on Christmas" gang from banging on retailers or others who choose a generic holiday greeting so as not to run the risk of aggravating customers who may not be Christian. Those who concocted the War on Christmas claim that a choice of "Happy Holidays" under such circumstances means that someone has something against Christmas, when all it means is that merchants or others are sensitive to the religious beliefs of all people.

I agree... Again.

There is no "War on Christmas". Heck, most folks who celebrate Christmas aren't really Christians anyway -- even if they claim to be.

Bugsy McGurk

President
this conversation sounds like a bunch of Republicans.

Renee made a "cute remark" about me not having Muslim or Jewish friends.. I don't ask people what their religion is or is not. None of my business. ...

How many here have a lot of Muslim and Jewish friends? Ok, picking a random number...10 friends that are Muslim or Jewish. How many times of the year do you see these people? During Christmas how many times will see them?

Ok, you have some close friends that are Jewish or Muslims... if you are uncomfortable on what to say, ask them.

You folks must not have anything to do...
I'm not uncomfortable with that. A simple "Happy Holidays" to those who are Jewish does the trick.

I would only feel uncomfortable saying "Merry Christmas" to them. Does that make me a warrior against Christmas?

I'm not uncomfortable with that. A simple "Happy Holidays" to those who are Jewish does the trick.

I would only feel uncomfortable saying "Merry Christmas" to them. Does that make me a warrior against Christmas?
Why wish anything at Christmas if it isn't Christmas? ....which you are denying. You deny Christmas.
Well it seems you don't really know what it is about anyway, so what does it matter?

Since it is such a worry for you, perhaps you would be better just hiding until it is all over.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Why wish anything at Christmas if it isn't Christmas? ....which you are denying. You deny Christmas.
Well it seems you don't really know what it is about anyway, so what does it matter?

Since it is such a worry for you, perhaps you would be better just hiding until it is all over.
You should try to pay attention. I don't "deny Christmas" - I just told you I say "Merry Christmas" to Christians. I just think it's odd to say it to non-Christians. Please try to focus.