• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

protectionist

Governor
I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

Puzzling Evidence

Free range human living on a tax farm.
I support this. Unless we can pay seniors a livable wage, we cannot rais rents to where seniors cannot afford a home. This is not a Liberal or Conservative position, rather a humanitarian one.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.
The children who run the state of California did this with our vehicle registration fees. Increases of up to 300% overnight. As always with Democrat-run cities and states, the poor and low-income suffered the most.

AWOL to the Land of Mad Mods

pj made him do that as punishment for your two-month desertion to usmb.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

I'm sorry to hear that you are being priced out. I own my home but I know quality home,townhouse and apartment rental rates have gone though the roof in urban areas here in Texas. Good luck with your move

Jen

Senator

That is sad. Back when I was just out of college living in San Antonio I got a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for $200 a month with utilities included in that.

At least you aren't being gouged in a town a little north of Seattle where a similar 2 bed/2 bath goes for well over $2000 per month and you have to pay another $300 a month for a parking spot which you have to have because if you park on the street you have to move your car every 3 hours or get ticketed. Anything IN Seattle is well above that price.

Any place that is desirable to live will cost you plenty.

protectionist

Governor
That is sad. Back when I was just out of college living in San Antonio I got a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for $200 a month with utilities included in that.

At least you aren't being gouged in a town a little north of Seattle where a similar 2 bed/2 bath goes for well over $2000 per month and you have to pay another $300 a month for a parking spot which you have to have because if you park on the street you have to move your car every 3 hours or get ticketed. Anything IN Seattle is well above that price.

But if it costs that much, and you have to keep moving your car, how desirable is it ? I wouldn't pay 10 cents to live in one of these high-priced cities.

Jen

Senator
But if it costs that much, and you have to keep moving your car, how desirable is it ? I wouldn't pay 10 cents to live in one of these high-priced cities.
You pay the $300 to have a spot where you don't have to move the car......a covered parking garage. If you don't pay it you have to park on the street and move every few hours. My son and his wife couldn't afford 2 cars because $3000 a month for home and parking was a tad steep and the second car on the street kept getting tickets.

Pay............if you're lucky.......... allows you to afford that. Son and wife are making well into the 6 figures....and still....

protectionist

Governor

If it's costing that much, it's not desirable. I'd have nothing to do with it.