• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

You gold bugs had better sell sell SELL!!

fairsheet

Senator
In this case anyway, I think lack of capital, is a bigger issue than lack of labor. Nuclear power, simply can't be made to pencil out.

fairsheet

Senator
You mean it can't compete with heavily subsidized fossil fuels?
Well....unsubsidized nuclear can't compete with subsidized petro, for sure. There's little chance if any, of nuclear getting any subsidies. So...the question is, can unsubsidized nuclear compete with unsubsidized petro?

The problem with that, is that even if we did away with ALL petro-subsidies, it would be a matter of at LEAST 2-3 decades before nuclear could compete with petro on a fair market field. But, 2-3 decades from now, nuclear's competition won't be with petro, it'll be with new 21st-century alternatives.

I'm beginning to think that within the span of one average human's life, nuclear will go from the "energy of the future", to the "energy of the past".

Well....unsubsidized nuclear can't compete with subsidized petro, for sure. There's little chance if any, of nuclear getting any subsidies. So...the question is, can unsubsidized nuclear compete with unsubsidized petro?

The problem with that, is that even if we did away with ALL petro-subsidies, it would be a matter of at LEAST 2-3 decades before nuclear could compete with petro on a fair market field. But, 2-3 decades from now, nuclear's competition won't be with petro, it'll be with new 21st-century alternatives.

I'm beginning to think that within the span of one average human's life, nuclear will go from the "energy of the future", to the "energy of the past".
Nuclear energy certainly gets its own subsidies, especially in terms of insurance rates. Your last comment may be true...UNLESS we manage to develop controlled nuclear FUSION. That's a whole different ball game.

fairsheet

Senator
Nuclear energy certainly gets its own subsidies, especially in terms of insurance rates. Your last comment may be true...UNLESS we manage to develop controlled nuclear FUSION. That's a whole different ball game.
Obviously, I'm not even the remotest expert in any of these fields! But, when I see those solar arrays in the southwest, that heat water for turbines as opposed to a photvoltaic process, I can't see why in the hell anyone would even THINK to spend the dough and take the risk of nuclear.

The only thing I can think of, is that solar requires a sunny clime, while nuclear doesn't. But, a modern efficient energy grid would address that one.

EatTheRich

President
I'm just not sure that solar can provide enough energy, quickly enough, to provide for the kind of economic growth we need. Nuclear at least has the advantage over fossil fuels of not contributing to global warming. But it's not something I know enough about either.

worldlymrb

Revenge
What 'threat' of inflation? The Producer Price Index FELL by 0.6% on its last reading. Inflation is nowhere in sight.
Yeah, and starting in July, the GDP is going to read +3% no matter what. <link>

If there is NO inflation and in fact deflation.. How about GOOGLE "Record High" and then "Record Low".

A recent search returned the following results:

"Banks Net Income in 1Q Hits All-Time High of $40.3 Billion"

"US equity markets remain near all-time highs"

"NYSE Margin Debt Hit New Record, Surpasses 2007 Peak"

"Foreign holdings of U.S. debt at all-time high"

"Beef prices hit all-time high... and expected to rise."

"Gasoline prices down slightly after hitting all-time high"

"Premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance reached an all-time high"

"Airline fees hit all-time high"

"Tuition debt reaches all-time high"

"Unpaid student loans reach all-time high in US"

"Junk bond yields near all-time lows"

"Number of self-employed hits all time low: Report"

"US consumer confidence near all-time high"

"French consumer confidence at an all-time low"

"European unemployment hits all-time high"

"European Bank cuts interest rate to all time low"

"China business optimism at all-time low"

"Asian gold demand to hit all-time quarterly high: World Gold Council"

"American Idol Season 12 Finale Hits Record Low​

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'm not so sure they WILL go back up. But, don't invest your future on my crazy ideas. But, I think the whole world energy reality has flipped rather dramatically over the last decade. Once, the petros may've dreamed of soaking us for every last drop. Now though, I'm guessing their bigger concern, is ending up with zillions of barrells "in inventory", after the world has lost its interest in oil. The petros need to do whatever they can, to keep us hooked on their product for as long as they can. Jacking up prices, doesn't help in that regard.
In case you haven't noticed, the petro companies are diversifying. I don't think they really care if they're selling oil and coal in the future -- so long as they're selling energy.