• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Youth development. Or not. ?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday, while eating dinner at home with my son, the doorbell rings. Phil answers and encounters a pleasant young lady who indicates that she is part of a Youth Management Development Program affiliated with the Philadelphia Education system.

The basic jist is that she, and others, are going door to door, building character, management, and presentation skills via door to door encounters/presentations. Her goal, was to present well to individuals encountered, deliver her presentation...courteously..concisely..effectively...thereby building skill and experience....and then close with a request for support. Basically, a solicitation.

In order to receive 'credit' for the encounter, the recipient would need to 'affirm' her having been at the home and received the presentation...by ordering one or more subscription to various magazines, or order same for any friend, neighbor, family member, etc.

I typically do not purchace or contribute to any such solicitation at my door, preferring to receive something in writing, that is verifyable, and if I like it / want to contribute...i follow through.

So I explain this, and her demeanor immediately turns negative. Smile gone, her presentation, a moment earlier so well crafted, gone... she turns on her heel without even a thanks, and walks off.

That's that I figure. Back to dinner. Not even a minute later, the bell rings again. I figure she found some literature to leave behind... It's not her, but another individual, a male, who immediately starts in with..."Why did you turn the young lady away? Don't you support youth development? Dont you care about her attaining success?"

Taken aback, I say, while I certainly do appreciate such things, I make it a rule not to respond to solicitations at my door...explain that I prefer something to review, and thank him for his time.

He pauses, looks me in the eye and says, "Damn, what the f*ck. I can't believe you're gonna play her like that....". So, now with my son at my back (he's 6) they guy takes a step toward my doorway. I say..."take a big step back, or we're gonna have an issue..." and I put my finger on the alarm button on the side wall by my door. He pauses, looks at me, then the button...mutters "damn shit.." or some such....then proceeds to walk off.

How would you rate the encounter....youth...developing? or not. I say not.

NightSwimmer

Senator
In their defense, they see TV preachers and washed up politicians making a fortune using these same methods and tactics on a regular basis. Guess it looks to them like a ladder up to achieving the American Dream©?