• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

# 1 American Female Singer of All Time - Karen Carpenter

protectionist

Governor
Only in your mind and a few others. Even though you claim to be a musician and music expert, you are once again wrong and your opinion is just that, an opinion. You obviously prefer her style and her choice of music, fine, but that certainly does not make her the greatest of all time.

If a poll were taken among 1000 real music officianados (like myself) and the question was:

Q) Who was the greater American female vocalist?

A) Karen Carpenter

or

B) Ella Firzferald

B would resoundingly win about 975 to 25…..I’d bet on it….Along with 15-20 other American Female Vocalists Bs
Well Mr "music aficianado" (usually spelled with 1 f), any real music aficianado would certainly know key things about the music of 3 of the top songs of one of the all-time top rock bands (the Rolling Stones)

So since you're such a real music officianado, tell us what was, and describe the unique aspect of Keith Richards' guitars, on the original recordings of Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, and Honky Tonk Women. Any real music aficianado knowledgable of rock music, would know this, as well as the answers to the next simple questions.

2. In what way are violins and mandolins similar ?

3. What is the difference between a song and a tune ?

4. Where in the very commonly known piece Minuet # 3 in G Major, is there an accidental, and what note is it ?

5. What is unique about the chorus harmony in the song Somehow Tonight, by JD Crowe & the Kentucky Mountain Boys ?

6. What 3 music genres is Bluegrass a combination of ? (objective answer, not subjective)

7. What does the term 1, 4, 5 refer to ?

8. On the guitar, what strings are employed for a bass run going from a G chord to an A chord ?

Last edited:

Jack4freedom

Governor
Maybe you missed the part of this thread where there WAS a poll and Karen Carpenter won with the 2nd place contestant a very DISTANT second (and it wasnt your Ella Fitzgerald)

And by your ignorance of what I said in Post # 16, it is clear that you are not a music afficianado (ha ha) - you may now go back to playing your tambourine.

Karen was # 1. Probably always will be. You're welcome.
You evidently found a poll which was interviewing a bunch of pop music fans who really don’t know much about music. Karen was definitely one of the best pop singers of her relatively short career. Ella started out as a street dancer in Harlem for nickles and dimes to support her family. She got a chance to get on the stage in an amateur night and she was seen by the greatest bandleader and greatest drummer of his time Chic Webb. She became the vocalist of his hot band. Webb dies very young and Ella still in her teens took over that band and moved forward with her career. She worked with Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Mingus, Thelonius Monk and the greatest jazz musicians of that era. Even while performing with the best in the world, her voice as an instrument stole the show night after night. She then entered the world of pop where Karen Carpenter excel

Jack4freedom

Governor
Well Mr "music aficianado" (usually spelled with 1 f), any real music aficianado would certainly know key things about the music of 3 of the top songs of one of the all-time top rock bands (the Rolling Stones)

So since you're such a real music officianado, tell us what was, and describe the unique aspect of Keith Richards' guitars, on the original recordings of Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, and Honky Tonk Women.

2. In what way are violins and mandolins simliar ?

4. Where in the very commonly known piece Minuet # 3 in G Major, is there an accidental, and what note is it ?

5. What is unique about the chorus harmony in the song Somehow Tonight, by JD Crowe & the Kentucky Mountain Boys ?

6. What 3 music genres is Bluegrass a combination of ? (objective answer, not subjective)
I will defer to you regarding instrument you play and have studies during your life. That is a very Rain Man type quality which you obviously have. However I have no doubt that any intelligent, objective, knowledgeable music fan would agree that Ella was a far superior female vocalist when all factors are considered.

protectionist

Governor
I will defer to you regarding instrument you play and have studies during your life. That is a very Rain Man type quality which you obviously have. However I have no doubt that any intelligent, objective, knowledgeable music fan would agree that Ella was a far superior female vocalist when all factors are considered.
That is as absurd as it is stupid. But from a music illiterate like you, it isn't surprising.

protectionist

Governor
You evidently found a poll which was interviewing a bunch of pop music fans who really don’t know much about music. Karen was definitely one of the best pop singers of her relatively short career. Ella started out as a street dancer in Harlem for nickles and dimes to support her family. She got a chance to get on the stage in an amateur night and she was seen by the greatest bandleader and greatest drummer of his time Chic Webb. She became the vocalist of his hot band. Webb dies very young and Ella still in her teens took over that band and moved forward with her career. She worked with Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Mingus, Thelonius Monk and the greatest jazz musicians of that era. Even while performing with the best in the world, her voice as an instrument stole the show night after night. She then entered the world of pop where Karen Carpenter excel
I have no interest in downgrading Ella Fitzgerald in any way, but I'm sure she never had the nickname "One Take Ella" as Karen had the nickname "One Take Karen" given to her by recording technicians. You seem to not know what is even being talked about here. Either you didn't read the previous posts, or you are just choosing to gloss over them. Whatever.

protectionist

Governor

So since you're such a real music officianado, tell us what was, and describe the unique aspect of Keith Richards' guitars, on the original recordings of Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, and Honky Tonk Women. Any real music aficianado knowledgable of rock music, would know this, as well as the answers to the next simple questions.

2. In what way are violins and mandolins similar ?

7. What does the term 1, 4, 5 refer to ?

8. On the guitar, what strings are employed for a bass run going from a G chord to an A chord ?
Since you already showed your lack of knowledge about music by flunking the little quiz of post # 21, I feel a bit obligated to provide the answers, just to show that I wasn't bluffing.

1. Brown Sugar -Open G Tuning
Gimme Shelter - Open E Tuning
Honky Tonk Women - Open G Tuning

2. They are tuned the same way > DGAE

3. Song - has words & music
Tune - has only music, no words

4. It is the C# in the 4th bar (measure), of the 2nd part.

5. The tenor sings a high lead part, rather than a typical high tenor.

6. Country, Folk, Jazz.

7. Tonic, Subdominant, Dominant - the 1st, 4th and 5th chording intervals of a scale. The fundamental chord structure of many songs.
Example > A...B...C...D...E...F...G...

8. the 6th (E) and 5th (A) strings.

Jack4freedom

Governor
I have no interest in downgrading Ella Fitzgerald in any way, but I'm sure she never had the nickname "One Take Ella" as Karen had the nickname "One Take Karen" given to her by recording technicians. You seem to not know what is even being talked about here. Either you didn't read the previous posts, or you are just choosing to gloss over them. Whatever.
She spent most of her career pkaying in front of LIVE audiences and dazzling everybody she played for and with. I am not going to argue with you about this Bert. I respect your musical talent and your knowledge of the instruments you have and still do play. I also really loved Karen Carpenter’s voice and still love many of her songs, especially Rainy Days and Mondays by Paul Willians…Beautiful!

Ella’s Nicknames were….The First Lady Of Song, The Queen Of Jazz, First Lady Of Swing, Lady Ella over her 60+ years on the stage….If you have not heard her body of music I suggest you look into it. A music lover like yourself will no doubt find it delicious.

Cheers

write on

Senator
She spent most of her career pkaying in front of LIVE audiences and dazzling everybody she played for and with. I am not going to argue with you about this Bert. I respect your musical talent and your knowledge of the instruments you have and still do play. I also really loved Karen Carpenter’s voice and still love many of her songs, especially Rainy Days and Mondays by Paul Willians…Beautiful!

Ella’s Nicknames were….The First Lady Of Song, The Queen Of Jazz, First Lady Of Swing, Lady Ella over her 60+ years on the stage….If you have not heard her body of music I suggest you look into it. A music lover like yourself will no doubt find it delicious.

Cheers
No question!