• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

48 years ago today

EatTheRich

President
10,000 students organized by the Students Action Union in the UK went on strike against corporal punishment (such as caning) in schools. They were attacked by police when attempting to peaceably assemble in London and leaders were arrested. However, within 2 years corporal punishment was abolished in primary schools, and by 1987 the Labour Party had been won to the cause of abolishing corporal punishment in the public schools over Margaret Thatcher’s opposition in a vote that came down to the wire.

4/15

Mayor
As a person who was spanked in school I can say it did nothing but make me more determined to continue what I was doing to get spanked.

EatTheRich

President
As a person who was spanked in school I can say it did nothing but make me more determined to continue what I was doing to get spanked.
When I was a kid the principal still paddled kids in my public school, I saw at least one paddling but never got paddled myself. My dad told me that in Lutheran school growing up his teachers used to hit him with the catechism all the time.

EatTheRich

President
As the linked article says, corporal punishment in private schools remained legal in Britain until 2003. Corporal punishment is legal today in public schools in 18 U.S. states and in private schools in 48 U.S. states.