• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

A Moment of Candor

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Curious. Do we have the capacity for transparency any longer?

Is it possible to set aside the loathing of Trump for a moment and assess the people running?

I’m not asking which you hate least/triangulate toward...I’m asking if you enthusiastically embrace any of them. Please refrain from the “ABT” - I already get that. I’m asking YOU if you are pleased with who we have to choose from.

Are you?

I’ll answer first. I’m not.

Ours is an exceptional nation of 330 million...it’s hard to believe that we can do no better than Trump and the Democrat field. That is my view.

Any thoughts on the field?

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member

Is it possible to set aside the loathing of Trump for a moment and assess the people running?

I’m not asking which you hate least/triangulate toward...I’m asking if you enthusiastically embrace any of them. Please refrain from the “ABT” - I already get that. I’m asking YOU if you are pleased with who we have to choose from.

Are you?

Ours is an exceptional nation of 330 million...it’s hard to believe that we can do no better than Trump and the Democrat field. That is my view.

I like some more than others. It’s a mixed bag. The people calling for free education and student load forgiveness for all are out of their minds. Others would be god for this country, especially our image worldwide.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I like some more than others. It’s a mixed bag. The people calling for free education and student load forgiveness for all are out of their minds. Others would be god for this country, especially our image worldwide.
I don’t mind Amy Klobuchar. In my (not a Democrat) opinion, she’s an ok candidate. I’m enthusiastic about NONE though. I’m not picking on Dems here - I can’t stand Trump either. How is this the best we can do in so LARGE and EDUCATED a nation?

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member
I don’t mind Amy Klobuchar. In my (not a Democrat) opinion, she’s an ok candidate. I’m enthusiastic about NONE though. I’m not picking on Dems here - I can’t stand Trump either. How is this the best we can do in so LARGE and EDUCATED a nation?
Is there anybody you think would make a great president?

Bugsy McGurk

President

Are you?

I know none of the candidates meet your lofty standards, but which one would you choose if you had to choose one?

Well, ALL the candidates self-selected to run, right? What you are making the case for is a bunch of connected, affluent men getting together and collectively finding a man of quality and achievement to run; essentially drafting him. But supposedly that is anathema to voting Americans. So now what?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Is there anybody you think would make a great president?
Not among those who are running across all the parties. That is pretty much my point. Of all the candidates running - even among a few of the more obscure parties - there appears to be no exceptional candidates. I’m trying hard to NOT steer this to party or philosophical preferences in this particular strand...but I don’t find anyone to be compelling.

Again, I know MANY people want Trump out. I’m not talking about pragmatic navigation - I just wanted to hear whether anyone is on fire for any of those running.

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member
Not among those who are running across all the parties. That is pretty much my point. Of all the candidates running - even among a few of the more obscure parties - there appears to be no exceptional candidates. I’m trying hard to NOT steer this to party or philosophical preferences in this particular strand...but I don’t find anyone to be compelling.

Again, I know MANY people want Trump out. I’m not talking about pragmatic navigation - I just wanted to hear whether anyone is on fire for any of those running.
I’m never on fire for any political person or hopeful. I do, however, like Bloomberg. I always have.

So did you find Ronald Reagan to be exceptional at the time? Now? Ever?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I know none of the candidates meet your lofty standards, but which one would you choose if you had to choose one?
So we’ll just consider your offering ‘unresponsive’ (as usual). I even set the exact context of my question...why I am asking...and set forth that I don’t like “the other guy”’either.

Why is it that you, Bugsy, can NEVER do the earnest transparency thing? Even when ALL the cards are on the table.

However “lofty” (or not) my standards are...are you on fire for any of these candidates? Could you ever make a public statement of being underwhelmed? It’s your call. You have an opportunity to be open and honest here.

I’m never on fire for any political person or hopeful. I do, however, like Bloomberg. I always have.
If we have a Jewish president, be it Bernie, Bloomers, or Steyer, do you consider that it might antagonize the Islamic ummah into a conspiracy theory belief that when America bombs them that it more so than ever would be at Israel's behest?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Well, ALL the candidates self-selected to run, right? What you are making the case for is a bunch of connected, affluent men getting together and collectively finding a man of quality and achievement to run; essentially drafting him. But supposedly that is anathema to voting Americans. So now what?
It’s a simple question. How do WE assess our options? Is this talent representative of our best? Are we enthused with them as options?

I am NOT.

So we’ll just consider your offering ‘unresponsive’ (as usual). I even set the exact context of my question...why I am asking...and set forth that I don’t like “the other guy”’either.

Why is it that you, Bugsy, can NEVER do the earnest transparency thing? Even when ALL the cards are on the table.

However “lofty” (or not) my standards are...are you on fire for any of these candidates? Could you ever make a public statement of being underwhelmed? It’s your call. You have an opportunity to be open and honest here.
I told you before on another thread. The least concerning candidate would be Klobuchar.

As far as @Bugsy McGurk goes haven't we discussed his Turing test qualities? I imagine it is the kind of frustration a good AI would manage to make you feel when it just isn't quite responsive in a human manner when you're in a state of mind that you're talking to a person. ha ha

It’s a simple question. How do WE assess our options? Is this talent representative of our best? Are we enthused with them as options?
Clearly the pool of candidates suck. And Trump sucks the least. Look past the persona and look at the results. Are they adequate? Are they most likely the best results from the choices that have been given.

I am NOT.
If you aren't then what do you think you're going to do? Wish up a candidate of great attributes?

I was a kid at the time...so I found Heather Thomas to be “exceptional”. (Just adhering to the transparency call that I made).

Wait...what were we discussing again? :)
Well, what about the "now" or "ever" part of the question? You have to establish what you mean by your standards and sharing that meaning effectively.

I've linked to Reagan's speech "A Time for Choosing" and the Carter-Reagan debate in this forum before. What do you think of these and Reagan's performance in them?

BobbyT

Governor
Don't like who's running? Run yourself.

There is no human who will tick every box for every person. Everyone is flawed and everyone makes mistakes. Every election cycle for every election from dog catcher to President we select the person who most closely aligns with our values and issues. No one will align perfectly. We select the best in our opinion from those who choose to stand. Or, if we feel strongly enough and have the balls, we run. No candidate for President has ever been perfect or even close. You will vote for someone flawed if you vote for anyone.

Are you?

Jen

Senator

Are you?

One reason is this: Why would a person of integrity who has built that integrity over a lifetime of good behavior subject himself/ herself to the kind of innuendo and outright lies that will be showered down upon any candidate?

2 Examples: Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas.

We have flawed people running because they don't have anything to lose. The Kavanaugh and Thomas scorching showed everyone what to expect when a good person is up for an important office. The treatment of them was reprehensible.

Bugsy McGurk

President

The ultimate irony...

In a thread captioned “A Moment of Candor,” I ask you which candidate you would choose if you had to choose one, and you completely dodge the question.