• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

About artificial sweeteners

xaero

Council Member
We all know that sugar destroys our teeth and causes obesity and diabetes. But using sugar substitutes is not the way that guarantees healthy living further. For example, controversies on aspartame never stopped, and I bet scientists still don’t know how aspartame really affects health. Some of artificial sweeteners are banned in the US but approved in Canada and Europe. So for one I don’t believe scientists and try to use sugar when I have no honey or fruits around. What sweetener do you prefer?

Jen

Senator
We all know that sugar destroys our teeth and causes obesity and diabetes. But using sugar substitutes is not the way that guarantees healthy living further. For example, controversies on aspartame never stopped, and I bet scientists still don’t know how aspartame really affects health. Some of artificial sweeteners are banned in the US but approved in Canada and Europe. So for one I don’t believe scientists and try to use sugar when I have no honey or fruits around. What sweetener do you prefer?
Sugar.
Honey.
I check labels and totally avoid aspartame and have done so for over 25 years. It gives me a headache and heart palpitations. Because of my avoidance of aspartame, I also avoid all other forms of fake sugar. I limit my sugar intake as much as possible, but when sugar is needed it's the real thing or nothing.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I use Splenda... maybe it's just me, but when I use/drink Splenda in a beverage, it increases my appetite, especially iced tea. :(

Splenda /ˈsplɛndə/ is the commercial name and registered trademark of a sucralose-based artificial sweetener derived from sugar,[1][2] owned by the British company Tate & Lyle and American company Johnson & Johnson. Sucralose was discovered by Tate & Lyle and researchers at Queen Elizabeth College, University of London, in 1976. Tate & Lyle subsequently developed sucralose-based Splenda products in partnership with Johnson & Johnson subsidiary McNeil Nutritionals LLC.[3]
Sucralose has no caloric content, and Splenda products have a lower caloric content than sugar. The actual energy content of a single-serving (1-g packet) of Splenda is 3.36 kilocalories, 31% of those of a single-serving (2.8-g packet) of granulated sugar (10.8 kcal[11]). In the United States, it is legally labelled "zero calories";[11] U.S. FDA regulations allow this "if the food contains less than 5 Calories per reference amount customarily consumed and per labeled serving".[12] Further, Splenda contains a relatively small amount of sucralose, little of which is metabolized; virtually all of Splenda's caloric content derives from the dextrose or highly fluffed maltodextrin "bulking agents" that give Splenda its volume. Like other carbohydrates, dextrose and maltodextrin have 3.75 calories per gram.

Sugar.
Honey.
I check labels and totally avoid aspartame and have done so for over 25 years. It gives me a headache and heart palpitations. Because of my avoidance of aspartame, I also avoid all other forms of fake sugar. I limit my sugar intake as much as possible, but when sugar is needed it's the real thing or nothing.
Agree 100%. Real sugar, typically organic turbinado or muscovado, in moderation. Same with butter, I don't eat margarine or any other fake butter spreads. Moderate use of the real thing is the way to go. Everything else is a marketing scheme...

Jen

Senator
Agree 100%. Real sugar, typically organic turbinado or muscovado, in moderation. Same with butter, I don't eat margarine or any other fake butter spreads. Moderate use of the real thing is the way to go. Everything else is a marketing scheme...
Absolutely. I only use real butter also. No fake butter spreads at all.

Absolutely. I only use real butter also. No fake butter spreads at all.
It took me a while to get my wife on board with all of this, since she has always had that media-created aversion to things that are high in fat or calories. After doing a lot of research together, we decided several years ago to go as natural as possible with our diet. Everything in moderation, and no substitutes whenever possible. That means real sugar, butter, honey, natural oils, water as the primary beverage, etc. Bread is homemade. Eggs are raised at home. We trade with neighbors for meat, milk, etc. If I can't trade, I buy from the local farmers for produce, beans, etc. Still working on finding a good source for brown rice. It's worked out really well. We're both very healthy, and the kids have no allergies or other health issues that seem to be so common now. We call ourselves conservative hippies :D

Jen

Senator
It took me a while to get my wife on board with all of this, since she has always had that media-created aversion to things that are high in fat or calories. After doing a lot of research together, we decided several years ago to go as natural as possible with our diet. Everything in moderation, and no substitutes whenever possible. That means real sugar, butter, honey, natural oils, water as the primary beverage, etc. Bread is homemade. Eggs are raised at home. We trade with neighbors for meat, milk, etc. If I can't trade, I buy from the local farmers for produce, beans, etc. Still working on finding a good source for brown rice. It's worked out really well. We're both very healthy, and the kids have no allergies or other health issues that seem to be so common now. We call ourselves conservative hippies :D
It may be a marketing ploy, but I do use Himalayan pink salt. I by it in chunks and grind it. A guilty pleasure for me I think.

It may be a marketing ploy, but I do use Himalayan pink salt. I by it in chunks and grind it. A guilty pleasure for me I think.
Possibly, but it does taste good. By the way, not sure if you have read about this, but the connection between salt and hypertension is being looked at again more seriously, and there is evidence that sodium is not nearly as relevant to blood pressure as was thought previously. Just like the connection between saturated fat and heart disease has been revised, so too will this one. The diet our grandparents and great-grandparents consumed is looking better all the time.

Jen

Senator
Possibly, but it does taste good. By the way, not sure if you have read about this, but the connection between salt and hypertension is being looked at again more seriously, and there is evidence that sodium is not nearly as relevant to blood pressure as was thought previously. Just like the connection between saturated fat and heart disease has been revised, so too will this one. The diet our grandparents and great-grandparents consumed is looking better all the time.
I have seen that. No doubt though that natural salt (sea salt) is better for us than the stripped of all mineral salt that comes from Mortons. I like salty food and enjoy the taste of Himalayan, so that's what I use.

I have seen that. No doubt though that natural salt (sea salt) is better for us than the stripped of all mineral salt that comes from Mortons. I like salty food and enjoy the taste of Himalayan, so that's what I use.
Have you ever tried Hawaiian sea salt? Usually comes in a red variety, which is mixed with the red clay soil of Hawaii (alaea), or black, which is mixed with volcanic ash (carbon).

Jen

Senator
Have you ever tried Hawaiian sea salt? Usually comes in a red variety, which is mixed with the red clay soil of Hawaii (alaea), or black, which is mixed with volcanic ash (carbon).
I have been researching Hawaiian sea salt and will probably try it.

MaryAnne

Governor
When I use sugar I use the dark brown, once a day in my Oatmeal.

You are right on the marketing. Drugs or anything else. Today a product is bad,tomorrow it will be fine for you.