• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

America needs more football Coaches like this

connieb

Senator
http://www.yardbarker.com/high_school/articles/msn/utah_high_school_football_coach_suspends_entire_team_for_lack_of_character_makes_them_do_community_service/14627456

maybe America wouldn't be so fvck'd up..................think it was CB that posted years back.......'character is what you do when no one is looking'
Good for him.

We were watching the ESPN thing on the Mannings yesterday. At one point Peyton told a story about a time when he was in HS and they lost the game and the coach was blaming poor execution and Peyton went off on the coach and told him basically he was stupid and didn't know how to coach and his father saw it. And, ultimately drove him to the coaches house and made him apologize and told him his coach deserved his respect, etc.

And, I looked at my husband and said, I wonder how many other parents would have done that our would they have sat there and justified that their kid was right?

Zam-Zam

Senator
http://www.yardbarker.com/high_school/articles/msn/utah_high_school_football_coach_suspends_entire_team_for_lack_of_character_makes_them_do_community_service/14627456

maybe America wouldn't be so fvck'd up..................think it was CB that posted years back.......'character is what you do when no one is looking'

Great story. Get them on the right path when they're young, and maybe some will stay on it.

Speaking as someone who played football in High School many, many years ago, I can testify as to how big of a role my coach played in my life. Next to my father, he was probably the most influential man in my life at that time. It's heart-warming to see someone who likely wields that much influence in these young men's lives using it to make them better people.

fairsheet

Senator
This one's timely. I just heard a snippet out of .......California about some youth football league cracking down on teams that ran up scores. IMHO.....it's reasonable that score-running-up should be frowned upon but....this league no imposes a $200 fine on teams that win by 35 points or more. It seems that people were concerned about the feelings of the kids who were routinely beaten soundly. In fact, some coaches were whining that kids were getting discouraged and quitting their teams over it!

My first year in little league, we lost every game but one. I think our average losing score was around 20-5. We won the one game, 7-6. I loved baseball and it never even occured that my feelings were supposed to be hurt. And I gotta say...we got a bigger kick out of that one win, than we did any of our wins the next year when we finished somewhere around .500.

So, I don't care about the kid's "feelings". If they want to quit, they SHOULD quit. BUT...am concerned about what goes on with the winning teams. These sorts of mismatches are supposed to be opportunities for the less able kids to play. If coaches are running up scores but not emptying their benches?.....they should be sentenced to community service.

freyasman

Senator
I think sports are a great way to teach kids a lot of life lessons, both on the field and in the locker rooms, (how to work with others toward a common goal, how to figure out who your friends really are, how to handle failure and success, etc.) but not every kid gets that kind of opportunity. Not every coach is concerned with developing players as people; a lot of them just want to win, and will marginalize or even just plain run off the kids that he doesn't feel will help him achieve that. These are the kids that would probably benefit the most from that influence and mentoring, but they don't get it, and it's not available in a lot of other places. What a lot of them get is rejected, and ostracized as a result. Coaches can do a lot of good with their actions; they can also do a lot of bad......