• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Appomattox Courthouse,April 9,1865

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
On this day in 1865,Gen. Lee and the remnants of the Army Of Northern Virginia surrendered to Gen. Grant and the Army Of The Potomac at Appomattox Courthouse. After the surrender was signed the Confederate troops stacked arms and furled their colors.

The Battle Of Pleasant Hill,LA occurred on this day in 1864.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this post to commemorate both events on this day. I have been to Pleasant Hill twice. Most of the battlefield is on private property now and is inaccessible. There are some monuments scattered about Pleasant Hill. One Union soldier that I am aware of was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions at Pleasant Hill.

I have been to Appomattox Court House once. Would like to go back some day and do the Lee's Retreat Tour from Petersburg to Appomattox. I have a good friend that lives in Amelia Court House.

Boca

Governor
I have been to Appomattox Court House once. Would like to go back some day and do the Lee's Retreat Tour from Petersburg to Appomattox. I have a good friend that lives in Amelia Court House.

Wilmer McLean House, Appomattox Court House

The war struck close to home early on and McLean moved his family from northern to central Virginia out of concern for their safety, settling eventually in the home at Appomattox Court House. The First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) took place on Wilmer McLean’s farm on July 21, 1861 and inspired the move. So, in a most unusual twist of fate, the Civil War started in McLean’s backyard in 1861 and ended in his parlor in 1865.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

Wilmer McLean House, Appomattox Court House

The war struck close to home early on and McLean moved his family from northern to central Virginia out of concern for their safety, settling eventually in the home at Appomattox Court House. The First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) took place on Wilmer McLean’s farm on July 21, 1861 and inspired the move. So, in a most unusual twist of fate, the Civil War started in McLean’s backyard in 1861 and ended in his parlor in 1865.
Nice picture. When I went,I was visiting nearby Lynchburg,VA and only had about half a day on Friday morning and a couple hours on Sunday afternoon for sightseeing. Hope to go back some day.

Boca

Governor
Nice picture. When I went,I was visiting nearby Lynchburg,VA and only had about half a day on Friday morning and a couple hours on Sunday afternoon for sightseeing. Hope to go back some day.
Well BD, I finally made it to Charleston. Amazing place. Took one of those horse drawn carriage tours of the historic district. As luck would have it our tour guide was a history professor and 5th generation Charlestonian. So many stories.

As I had told you my mission was to visit my great-great-grandfather's house.

#24 Bull Street, The Lucas Mansion, National Historic Register,