• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are There Any VIOLIN Players In Here?

protectionist

Governor
I have some questions to ask violin players, that only you as a violin (or mandolin) player would understand. Non violin players not qualified to comment in this thread. But since I know you will comment anyway, and since ignorance display is a common and consistent trait in PJ, you might as well go ahead and comment anyway. Ho hum.

1. Are you knowledgable of the mandolin ?

2. If you saw a painting of a violin fingerboard with double stops illustrated in blending colors would you understand that ?

3. If you saw the A string D note tied/blended to the D string A note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

4. If you saw the A string D note tied/blended to the D string B note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

5. If you saw the D string E note tied/blended to the A string C note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

6. If you saw the E string open note tied/blended to the A string C# note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

1625857976268.png 1625858228234.png

protectionist

Governor
8 hours is enough time for someone to have showed up here. No violin players here in PJ ? Shame on you guys.

The greatest creation of western music, you have the capability to play it, and you just let it go by the wayside ? You might as well have been born a horse.

protectionist

Governor
Evidently you play... self taught apparently. Nice accomplishment.
Finally a response. Thanks. Yes I play (guitar, mandolin, violin), and have for many years. Played guitar in a rock band for 9 years. Played mandolin & fiddle in Bluegrass bands. Played Christmas songs & Auld Lang Syne on the violin for community groups.

I still perform occasionally, and may start it back up again soon. I've been teaching with 2 music schools, but sadly there aren't enough students. They keep sending me kids under 18, whom I won't teach, but what's wrong with the parents taking lessons ? I don't know why everybody doesn't.

Seems like such a waste of God-given capability to go through your whole life and never play a single chord, note, or scale on a single instrument. If things were as they ought to be, I would be having far more students (over 18) than I ever could teach.

I wonder how you ascertained that I was self taught though. Yes, 100% on the guitar, 90% for the mandolin & violin. I took brief courses many years ago, on classical violin and bluegrass fiddle.

protectionist

Governor
I played a little Banjo
left hand just doesn't work well with right hand
At least you picked up an instrument and did a little something with it. That's more than 90% of people in America. Ever try the guitar ? Playing chords is easy, and you can play any song at all.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
At least you picked up an instrument and did a little something with it. That's more than 90% of people in America. Ever try the guitar ? Playing chords is easy, and you can play any song at all.
I've thought of trying a guitar, I played a Trumpet in high school band

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
I've thought of trying a guitar, I played a Trumpet in high school band
Go for it.

Now after ribbing you allow me to turn serious. @protectionist is right. There is no time like the present to learn something new and learning a musical instrument will give you far more satisfaction than you can imagine. I read somewhere that learning a musical instrument when you are older helps keep your brain sharp.

Go for it.

There are tons of online videos on You Tube that will help you learn.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Now after ribbing you allow me to turn serious. @protectionist is right. There is no time like the present to learn something new and learning a musical instrument will give you far more satisfaction than you can imagine. I read somewhere that learning a musical instrument when you are older helps keep your brain sharp.

Go for it.

Well, I play a little Banjo and went up to Dads and got my brothers Martin d-6 and going to give it a try.........going to order one of those cord things for the neck that claims you can be playing in minutes........wath for me on America Seniors Have Talent

BTW: I enjoy us ribbing each other, just wish we in the same bar so we could slap the shit out of each other once in awhile....

PNWest

Well, I play a little Banjo and went up to Dads and got my brothers Martin d-6 and going to give it a try.........going to order one of those cord things for the neck that claims you can be playing in minutes........wath for me on America Seniors Have Talent

BTW: I enjoy us ribbing each other, just wish we in the same bar so we could slap the shit out of each other once in awhile....

Be careful with that Martin guitar. Those things are pricey.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Be careful with that Martin guitar. Those things are pricey.
Found that out when I searched the value.........Dad bought it back in the 70's or 80's, lazy fay ass brother never tried to play it and hasn't worked in 35+ years.........still lives at home and don't understand why Dad hasn't kicked his ass out....but that's a different story

protectionist

Governor

Go for it.

Online videos are OK, and are free, but it's worth it to get individual instruction from a teacher. You will find that many questions will come up, as you go along, which the online video cannot answer for you, but the personal teacher can.

How do I know this ? I've been teaching guitar, mandolin and violin/fiddle for 25 years.

PNWest

Online videos are OK, and are free, but it's worth it to get individual instruction from a teacher. You will find that many questions will come up, as you go along, which the online video cannot answer for you, but the personal teacher can.

How do I know this ? I've been teaching guitar, mandolin and violin/fiddle for 25 years.
I have to agree with you there. A good teacher is going to make learning happen much faster.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

I had one of the Best Banjo players around give me lessons.......I have kin that plays Mandolin at the Grand Ole Opry and another kin that it doesn't make any difference what he picks up it's like he was born with it in his hands.......even a Piano........

Me, I can tune a radio my best achievements

PNWest

Found that out when I searched the value.........Dad bought it back in the 70's or 80's, lazy fay ass brother never tried to play it and hasn't worked in 35+ years.........still lives at home and don't understand why Dad hasn't kicked his ass out....but that's a different story

You've got a half-century old Martin. Honestly I'd put that back in the case and buy yourself a decent $300 guitar to learn on. I have a stratocaster from the early 70s and I swear any time I play it and accidentally touch anything with it it puts a dagger through my heart. I bought a used Mexican strat that already was dinged up a bit for $250 and don't worry about it when I play it.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
You've got a half-century old Martin. Honestly I'd put that back in the case and buy yourself a decent $300 guitar to learn on. I have a stratocaster from the early 70s and I swear any time I play it and accidentally touch anything with it it puts a dagger through my heart. I bought a used Mexican strat that already was dinged up a bit for $250 and don't worry about it when I play it.
Good Idea
I have 3 old guitars down in my bottoms building I can pluck on and take your advice...........especially after I searched the value of the Martin........