• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are There Any VIOLIN Players In Here?

protectionist

Governor
You've got a half-century old Martin. Honestly I'd put that back in the case and buy yourself a decent $300 guitar to learn on. I have a stratocaster from the early 70s and I swear any time I play it and accidentally touch anything with it it puts a dagger through my heart. I bought a used Mexican strat that already was dinged up a bit for $250 and don't worry about it when I play it.
Have you seen the new Glarry guitars ?

protectionist

Governor
I had one of the Best Banjo players around give me lessons.......I have kin that plays Mandolin at the Grand Ole Opry and another kin that it doesn't make any difference what he picks up it's like he was born with it in his hands.......even a Piano........

Me, I can tune a radio my best achievements
Hang in there, Bud. Millions of rookie guitars players give up, really before they should have. Pawnshops are filled with their instruments. Maybe you could use a little inspiration. Try this >>

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
Have you seen the new Glarry guitars ?
No - I live in an area far from your regular guitar stores but from the video they don't look too bad.....

I'd replace the ceramic pickups with some Alnico ones (try some Donalis from China) if you are trying to save money - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/494803458.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.49.2ba95b80cVPuN9

I like Alnico 2s but you can also get the Alnico 5s for a similar price.

You can replace the 5-way switch and the knobs if you really want to make it tight.

For less than $150 and a bit of sweat equity you could easily put together a pretty damn good guitar.

PNWest

Good Idea
I have 3 old guitars down in my bottoms building I can pluck on and take your advice...........especially after I searched the value of the Martin........

Just have FUN.

protectionist

Governor
No - I live in an area far from your regular guitar stores but from the video they don't look too bad.....

I'd replace the ceramic pickups with some Alnico ones (try some Donalis from China) if you are trying to save money - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/494803458.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.49.2ba95b80cVPuN9

I like Alnico 2s but you can also get the Alnico 5s for a similar price.

You can replace the 5-way switch and the knobs if you really want to make it tight.

For less than $150 and a bit of sweat equity you could easily put together a pretty damn good guitar.
I have the Glarry GST Telecaster. $85 new (minus new set of strings). This brand and a few others, now making VERY lightweight solid body guitars are the new Fenders & Gibsons. Fender & Gibson better get on board. Their heavy as hell guitars are now Model T Fords in the guitar world. Grossly out of date.

I'll be getting a Glarry strat soon, and a LyxPro, and whatever other lightweight guitars are out there now - made of basswood or paulownia. They are barely more than 5 pounds. After having one for a while, it's about impossible to go back to the old heavy ones again. And look at the prices of these things.

1627101406334.png

PNWest

I have the Glarry GST Telecaster. $85 new (minus new set of strings). This brand and a few others, now making VERY lightweight solid body guitars are the new Fenders & Gibsons. Fender & Gibson better get on board. Their heavy as hell guitars are now Model T Fords in the guitar world. Grossly out of date.

I'll be getting a Glarry strat soon, and a LyxPro, and whatever other lightweight guitars are out there now - made of basswood or paulownia. They are barely more than 5 pounds. After having one for a while, it's about impossible to go back to the old heavy ones again. And look at the prices of these things.

View attachment 64338
I like to work on guitars. Opinions vary but I really dislike Basswood. It doesn't hold screws well. Paulowina looks nice but I have never worked with it. Alder just feels right for a strat unless you are doing something where the grain shows through. Then you can't beat swamp ash. Like everything else about a strat you can configure it however you like. Teles are cool but I miss the tummy cutout.

When you get the guitars please post your thoughts.

protectionist

Governor
I like to work on guitars. Opinions vary but I really dislike Basswood. It doesn't hold screws well. Paulowina looks nice but I have never worked with it. Alder just feels right for a strat unless you are doing something where the grain shows through. Then you can't beat swamp ash. Like everything else about a strat you can configure it however you like. Teles are cool but I miss the tummy cutout.

When you get the guitars please post your thoughts.
Sure, but I don't want to go too far off topic. This thread is about the VIOLIN - greatest musical creation of western mankind (and it's close cousin - the MANDolin).