• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are you happy?

MrMike

Bless you all
Given the Covid impacts, election conundrums and life overall, are you feeling optimistic or not? The question is of course subjective for each of you and there is no right or wrong answer.

I'm still holding out some optimism that the clouds will clear.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Yes, I am happy just to be alive.
One can always find something to be happy about.
Life is a fragile thing... I don't take it for granted these days.

Given the Covid impacts, election conundrums and life overall, are you feeling optimistic or not? The question is of course subjective for each of you and there is no right or wrong answer.

I'm very happy. My family and I are healthy, we're working, making lots of money in the markets and real estate, and the increased time at home has allowed us to spend much more family time together.

I'm not worried about the election, though I will feel bad for poor and minority Americans if Joe Biden gets elected. He's going to destroy them.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
I'm very happy. My family and I are healthy, we're working, making lots of money in the markets and real estate, and the increased time at home has allowed us to spend much more family time together.

I'm not worried about the election, though I will feel bad for poor and minority Americans if Joe Biden gets elected. He's going to destroy them.
I am happy, would prefer my health to be better, but I am on Obamacare, so in order for me to get better, I have to provide my own healthcare as Obamacare quit midstream, then requested I pay back the subsidies, even though I was able to only work three months in 2019.

As far as the election goes, for those like myself Joe "@#$%!Z*" Biden, Romans 13 covers this, but people will suffer in this country and this could have an effect world wide. For those of you that weren't as fortunate as I to have wise counsel, I recommend even Suzy Ormond, and if you invest, choose large cap stocks with dividends to ride out Biden, so you have to possible forms of revenue. I don't think that Joe will or should win. But we should be prepared as there are a lot of dead people.

condorkristy

Mostly Liberal

I think these are some of the darkest days we have faced as a nation. I have zero faith in Biden/Harris to right the ship. I do have some faith in them to stop the bleeding in terms of civil unrest, denial of science, denial of truth, and denial of common sense.

Will McAvoy on The Newsroom had a great line when he was asked about being a Republican:

1597204019059.png

gntjtupky6d21.jpg

If we could lay all of the problems of the nation at the feet of the republicans, that would be great. We can't. The Democrats are about as beholden to special interests as republicans are. The groups likely do not have the same injurious intent as the groups that carry the GOP's water but in some ways, they are even worse. Say what you want about the NRA but their favoring a gun in everyone's hand is only slightly more crazy than the thought of many liberals that we don't need guns at all. Say what you want about the Grover Norquist pledge to never raise taxes that most republicans have taken which is only slightly more crazy than the left wing thinking we can just throw more and more money at education, at healthcare, at welfare and eventually we'll get a positive return on investment.

I'm "mostly liberal" because I do believe in the collective. I believe that because it is the only way a society works. I think a lot of Americans no longer believe in the collective and it will ultimately lead to our downfall if it persists.

So to answer your question, Am I happy? Yes. I have people who love me. I have income. I have a place to live. Food to eat. Clothes to wear. Am I optimistic about our nation's future? No.

Zam-Zam

Senator

What a marvelous question.

Philosophers who write about “happiness” typically take their subject matter to be either of two things, each corresponding to a different sense of the term:

1. A state of mind
  2. A life that goes well for the person leading it

In my personal case, the answers are:

1. Yes, and
2. Yes.

I have been Blessed many times over.

I do believe this, however - The key is not having what you want, it is in wanting what you have,

It is important to focus on your many Blessings, and to appreciate them. If you are continually anxious over that which you do not have, you are forever missing the point.

Arete......is it's own reward.

I think these are some of the darkest days we have faced as a nation. I have zero faith in Biden/Harris to right the ship. I do have some faith in them to stop the bleeding in terms of civil unrest, denial of science, denial of truth, and denial of common sense.

Will McAvoy on The Newsroom had a great line when he was asked about being a Republican:

View attachment 55456

View attachment 55457

If we could lay all of the problems of the nation at the feet of the republicans, that would be great. We can't. The Democrats are about as beholden to special interests as republicans are. The groups likely do not have the same injurious intent as the groups that carry the GOP's water but in some ways, they are even worse. Say what you want about the NRA but their favoring a gun in everyone's hand is only slightly more crazy than the thought of many liberals that we don't need guns at all. Say what you want about the Grover Norquist pledge to never raise taxes that most republicans have taken which is only slightly more crazy than the left wing thinking we can just throw more and more money at education, at healthcare, at welfare and eventually we'll get a positive return on investment.

I'm "mostly liberal" because I do believe in the collective. I believe that because it is the only way a society works. I think a lot of Americans no longer believe in the collective and it will ultimately lead to our downfall if it persists.

So to answer your question, Am I happy? Yes. I have people who love me. I have income. I have a place to live. Food to eat. Clothes to wear. Am I optimistic about our nation's future? No.
The best post I have read on this forum so far. Bravo.

There is always, even through troubled times, a light inside one which is love which is our connection to all of creation, spirit within the soul, but when dark forces are close one cannot help but be fearful of the death of happiness for those who 'know not what they do'.
Happiness has so many levels, from the depths of the soul to the frivolous - deep in my soul I can't help happiness bubbling out even in the darkest of hours and on the frivolous I just can't help the joy I feel when looking at a tiny orchid which took agin a cold snap this summer but is perking up again.

Reactions: Jen
I'm always happy. Here's why: I have an internal locus of control and I am successful at life. Not having my fate led by external factor but rather impelled from within has allowed me to fulfill my creative potential. I view success and or failure as originating from me, not being bestowed or imposed on me from outside forces. I have become self actualized.
that's why I don't vote; it just doesn't matter.

Jen

Senator

I am happy. My family is well and my children are self-sufficient, healthy, and happy.
My life is just about as perfect as it can get right now. I am a homebody so Covid has changed nothing in my activities but it has brought my husband home to work and that works very well for us. We are healthy, well-fed, and have things we like to do together and apart and our house accommodates that easily.

I am not as optimistic about the state of our nation and our world. There is a lot to iron out with this election and neither side is willing to budge. There will be a lot of strife before things get better.

I have just a shred of hope for our nation. Sometimes that shred is a good strong rope, other times it seems to be down to a single thread. But I have not lost hope.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Many theories regarding happiness have been written by the experts/psychologists...
This theory on the signs of a happy person was interesting.

Happy people live with purpose. They find joy in lasting relationships, working toward their goals, and living according to their values. The happy person is not enamored with material goods or luxury vacations. This person is fine with the simple pleasures of life—petting a dog, sitting under a tree, enjoying a cup of tea. Here are a few of the outward signs that someone is content.
  • Is open to learning new things
  • Is high in humility and patience
  • Smiles and laughs readily
  • Goes with the flow
  • Practices compassion
  • Is often grateful
  • Exercises self-care
  • Enjoys healthy relationships
  • Is happy for other people
  • Gives and receives without torment
  • Lives with meaning and purpose
  • Does not feel entitled and has fewer expectations
  • Is not spiteful or insulting
  • Does not hold grudges
  • Does not register small annoyances
  • Does not angst over yesterday and tomorrow
  • Does not play games
  • Is not a martyr or victim
  • Is not stingy with their happiness

Happiness | Psychology Today

reason10

Governor

In high school, we were introduced to an essay on happiness. The conclusion was the happiest person is one who thinks the most interesting thoughts.

I have a wonderful family, a job I really love, and I live in Florida. And I don't let politics interfere with that.
Yeah, I come here from time to time to argue politics, but I don't take it personally.
By contrast, I have a friend who is STILL despondent about the last major election. It is affecting his attitude on everything, his work, his relationships. And I tried to tell him that politics doesn't deserve so much rent free space in his mind. Sadly, he continues to suffer.

Life is good. I just want as much of it as possible.