• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are You Happy?

Zam-Zam

Senator
Nice little article here on the subject of happiness:

What Is Happiness?

What Is Happiness? (verywellmind.com)

While I enjoyed the entire article, I was particularly drawn to this section:

Improving Your Happiness
Some people seem to have a naturally higher baseline for happiness—one large-scale study of more than 2,000 twins suggested that around 50% of overall life satisfaction was due to genetics, 10% to external events, and 40% to individual activities.9

So while you might not be able to control what your “base level” of happiness is, there are things that you can do to make your life happier and more fulfilling. Even the happiest of individuals can feel down from time to time and happiness is something that all people need to consciously pursue.

Get Regular Exercise
Exercise is good for both your body and mind. Physical activity is linked to a range of physical and psychological benefits including improved mood. Numerous studies have shown that regular exercise may play a role in warding off symptoms of depression, but evidence also suggests that it may also help make people happier, too.

In one analysis of past research on the connection between physical activity and happiness, researchers found a consistent positive link.10

Even a little bit of exercise produces a happiness boost—people who were physically active for as little as 10 minutes a day or who worked out only once a week had higher levels of happiness than people who never exercised.

Show Gratitude
In one study, participants were asked to engage in a writing exercise for 10 to 20 minutes each night before bed.11 Some were instructed to write about daily hassles, some about neutral events, and some about things they were grateful for. The results found that people who had written about gratitude had increase positive emotions, increased subjective happiness, and improve life satisfaction.

As the authors of the study suggest, keeping a gratitude list is a relatively easy, affordable, simple, and pleasant way to boost your mood. Try setting aside a few minutes each night to write down or think about things in your life that you are grateful for.

Find a Sense of Purpose
Research has found that people who feel like they have a purpose have better well-being and feel more fulfilled.12 A sense of purpose involves seeing your life as having goals, direction, and meaning. It may help improve happiness by promoting healthier behaviors.

Some things you can do to help find a sense of purpose include:

• Explore your interests and passions
  • Engage in prosocial and altruistic causes
  • Work to address injustices
  • Look for new things you might want to learn more about

This sense of purpose is influenced by a variety of factors, but it is also something that you can cultivate. It involves finding a goal that you care deeply about that will lead you to engage in productive, positive actions in order to work toward that goal.

The three main points (exercise, showing gratitude, and a sense of purpose) resonate with me. I exercise each and every day, something I started way back in High School. I have many Blessings to count, and am deeply appreciative of what I have. And my wife and I have found that sense of purpose in community volunteer work, and of course, our faith.

So it makes sense that I'm happy - I've checked all the boxes.

And the good news is that you too can be every bit as happy as I am. If you're not, for some reason, you have the roadmap that will take you there if you follow it.

I believe that your happiness is your responsibility, and your alone. If you try to farm out the job to someone or something else, well, good luck with that.

Have a better day.

write on

Senator
Nice little article here on the subject of happiness:

What Is Happiness?

What Is Happiness? (verywellmind.com)

While I enjoyed the entire article, I was particularly drawn to this section:

Improving Your Happiness
Some people seem to have a naturally higher baseline for happiness—one large-scale study of more than 2,000 twins suggested that around 50% of overall life satisfaction was due to genetics, 10% to external events, and 40% to individual activities.9

So while you might not be able to control what your “base level” of happiness is, there are things that you can do to make your life happier and more fulfilling. Even the happiest of individuals can feel down from time to time and happiness is something that all people need to consciously pursue.

Get Regular Exercise
Exercise is good for both your body and mind. Physical activity is linked to a range of physical and psychological benefits including improved mood. Numerous studies have shown that regular exercise may play a role in warding off symptoms of depression, but evidence also suggests that it may also help make people happier, too.

In one analysis of past research on the connection between physical activity and happiness, researchers found a consistent positive link.10

Even a little bit of exercise produces a happiness boost—people who were physically active for as little as 10 minutes a day or who worked out only once a week had higher levels of happiness than people who never exercised.

Show Gratitude
In one study, participants were asked to engage in a writing exercise for 10 to 20 minutes each night before bed.11 Some were instructed to write about daily hassles, some about neutral events, and some about things they were grateful for. The results found that people who had written about gratitude had increase positive emotions, increased subjective happiness, and improve life satisfaction.

As the authors of the study suggest, keeping a gratitude list is a relatively easy, affordable, simple, and pleasant way to boost your mood. Try setting aside a few minutes each night to write down or think about things in your life that you are grateful for.

Find a Sense of Purpose
Research has found that people who feel like they have a purpose have better well-being and feel more fulfilled.12 A sense of purpose involves seeing your life as having goals, direction, and meaning. It may help improve happiness by promoting healthier behaviors.

Some things you can do to help find a sense of purpose include:

• Explore your interests and passions
  • Engage in prosocial and altruistic causes
  • Work to address injustices
  • Look for new things you might want to learn more about

This sense of purpose is influenced by a variety of factors, but it is also something that you can cultivate. It involves finding a goal that you care deeply about that will lead you to engage in productive, positive actions in order to work toward that goal.

The three main points (exercise, showing gratitude, and a sense of purpose) resonate with me. I exercise each and every day, something I started way back in High School. I have many Blessings to count, and am deeply appreciative of what I have. And my wife and I have found that sense of purpose in community volunteer work, and of course, our faith.

So it makes sense that I'm happy - I've checked all the boxes.

And the good news is that you too can be every bit as happy as I am. If you're not, for some reason, you have the roadmap that will take you there if you follow it.

I believe that your happiness is your responsibility, and your alone. If you try to farm out the job to someone or something else, well, good luck with that.

Have a better day.
While all that sounds good, this is not 1950 as much as you may want it to be.

Due to the politicisation of America, those feel good ideas have been long lost in today's world.

Edit: For my happiness, I don't do social media (other than PJ).

Hey, that's a start, right?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Due to the politicisation of America, those feel good ideas have been long lost in today's world.

You know nothing of 1950
You wasn't alive in 1950

write on

Senator
Good post - a welcome diversion
It's a FEEL GOOD POST!

Right wingers are good at diversion- like they want you to believe that xtians are being persecuted.

Don't get fooled again.

"Won't Get Fooled Again"

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Oh I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by the bye
And a parting on the left
Is now a parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

RickWA

Snagglesooth
It's a FEEL GOOD POST!

Right wingers are good at diversion- like they want you to believe that xtians are being persecuted.

Don't get fooled again.

"Won't Get Fooled Again"

Just like yesterday

We knew it all along

Just like yesterday
No, no!

Do ya?

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Are you actually lobbying for acute focus on misery in this forum? I think you inadvertently answered the OP question.

write on

Senator
Are you actually lobbying for acute focus on misery in this forum? I think you inadvertently answered the OP question.
I'm stating fact. If the truth causes you to stop and think and ask questions that you should already have the answer to, then my quest was worth it.

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
I was just trying to say it was a nice post and very different from all of the arguing we do around here.

As the most impartial and bipartisan poster on PJ, as well as America's BEST American I do my best to try to encourage civil discourse.

HermanCainAwarder

Council Member
Ouch…. Stop making fun of the people ranting about poor people, places they don’t live, people they don’t know, immigrants, etc. on a daily basis. This is the only joy they have, sprouting their nonsense on the internet because there’s nobody around to listen to their rant.

Zam-Zam

Senator

I was a child of the '50's (1958), so I don't really remember that decade. I grew up in Mississippi in the 60's, which for a black male was a challenge at times, but I had wonderful parents and siblings, and a lot of great memories.

One element of happiness for me personally is knowing not to fret over that which I cannot control. Bad things happen to everyone at some point, but you just push through it and focus on the positive. People who obsess over stuff they can't do a single thing about are just begging to be miserable.

I also don't do social media, in large part because I didn't grow up with it the way younger people have. It holds no lure for me. Someone once told me that "Not everyone who has a Twitter account is an idiot, but every idiot has a Twitter account". :D I don't know how true that is, but I figure as long as I don't have one, it's one less thing I can be accused of.

I think if most people took the time to assess all the things they have to be grateful for, they might be stunned by how long that list is. My list is darn near infinite...

Have a great day.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Ouch…. Stop making fun of the people ranting about poor people, places they don’t live, people they don’t know, immigrants, etc. on a daily basis. This is the only joy they have, sprouting their nonsense on the internet because there’s nobody around to listen to their rant.
T'was not my intent to make fun of anyone...Rather, to encourage people to cultivate habits that will lead them to a healthier mental state. While I recognize we all complain sometimes - this is normal - there are some who seem to be in a perpetual state of anger, fear, contempt and outrage. This is not normal, or healthy.

It's also not necessary. Happiness is, at least in part, a choice. So, choose wisely.

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
Good post - a welcome diversion
I was just trying to say it was a nice post and very different from all of the arguing we do around here.

As the most impartial and bipartisan poster on PJ, as well as America's BEST American I do my best to try to encourage civil discourse.
T'was not my intent to make fun of anyone...Rather, to encourage people to cultivate habits that will lead them to a healthier mental state. While I recognize we all complain sometimes - this is normal - there are some who seem to be in a perpetual state of anger, fear, contempt and outrage. This is not normal, or healthy.

It's also not necessary. Happiness is, at least in part, a choice. So, choose wisely.

See what happens when we try to play nice?

Zam-Zam

Senator
It's a FEEL GOOD POST!

Don't get fooled again.

"Won't Get Fooled Again"

Just like yesterday

We knew it all along

Just like yesterday
No, no!

Do ya?

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

What is it you fear you are being diverted from?

write on

Senator
I was a child of the '50's (1958), so I don't really remember that decade. I grew up in Mississippi in the 60's, which for a black male was a challenge at times, but I had wonderful parents and siblings, and a lot of great memories.

One element of happiness for me personally is knowing not to fret over that which I cannot control. Bad things happen to everyone at some point, but you just push through it and focus on the positive. People who obsess over stuff they can't do a single thing about are just begging to be miserable.

I also don't do social media, in large part because I didn't grow up with it the way younger people have. It holds no lure for me. Someone once told me that "Not everyone who has a Twitter account is an idiot, but every idiot has a Twitter account". :D I don't know how true that is, but I figure as long as I don't have one, it's one less thing I can be accused of.

I think if most people took the time to assess all the things they have to be grateful for, they might be stunned by how long that list is. My list is darn near infinite...

Have a great day.
This will take some critical thinking on your part...

1638550755893.png

Be progressive