• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Ashoken Farewell

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Posted originally in Zen Cave but Friday 13 cannot get to ZC so this is for her.

[video=youtube;UjM6zjwi4R0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjM6zjwi4R0&feature=related[/video]

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Tribute to Lincoln

[video=youtube;s9SHEzAqFk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9SHEzAqFk8&feature=related[/video]

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
The darkest time in our history. America must NEVER allow this to happen again.
Thanx, Jack.
It is sad to look at all the pictures knowing that everyone in them is now dead. The music contributes to to the solemnity of it all.
Coincidentally, this tune is not a Civil War tune. It was written for the Ken Burns TV special some years back

Friday13

Governor
Thanx again. In his later pictures you can read the toll of the Civil War on his face...especially in his eyes. One of America's greatest.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

jammer

Mayor
Nice piece of history but you got one thing wrong Jack, one half of those who died were no longer Americans, they were traitors who turned their back and guns on their country. I had relatives who fought on both sides but I can't say I could ever support those who would rise up and destroy this great nation. Nothing glamorous nor glorious about a group of people who wanted to keep other humans as "property".

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Nice piece of history but you got one thing wrong Jack, one half of those who died were no longer Americans, they were traitors who turned their back and guns on their country. I had relatives who fought on both sides but I can't say I could ever support those who would rise up and destroy this great nation. Nothing glamorous nor glorious about a group of people who wanted to keep other humans as "property".
Not in the context of the time. It was a different country then. There was not the strong personal allegiance to the Union as developed in later years. Lee and his Generals considered Virginia to be their country.
The United States really became what it is after, and because of, the Civil War. The benevolence of Lincoln, and Grant as well, helped heal the wounds. Without the Civil War, I dont think the country would have become that great nation it became.

jammer

Mayor
Not in the context of the time. It was a different country then. There was not the strong personal allegiance to the Union as developed in later years. Lee and his Generals considered Virginia to be their country.
The United States really became what it is after, and because of the Civil War. The benevolence of Lincoln, and grant as well, helped heal the wounds. Without the Civil War, I dont think the country would have become that great nation it became.
I knew somewhere there was something we could agree on! The Civil war came close to destroying this nation and was fire that hardened it into the great nation it has become. Be you left, right, or in the middle, I think we can all agree that this is still the greatest nation ever to grace the face of the earth.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I knew somewhere there was something we could agree on! The Civil war came close to destroying this nation and was fire that hardened it into the great nation it has become. Be you left, right, or in the middle, I think we can all agree that this is still the greatest nation ever to grace the face of the earth.
Damned right, you bet your ass, or as we said in the Navy, fuckin' A ditty bag (never had a clue what that meant).
Indeed, people have risked life and limb getting out of their home countries to get into this one. We have spent treasure and blood freeing and protecting millions from from tyranny. Whether it was the Cubans, from the Spanish; the Europeans, from the Nazis in both world wars, the South Koreans from the North Koreans and the Chinese; the Muslims from the Serbs; or the Iraqis from their own leader; we have never hesitated to go where people in danger.
It still is the greatest country ever.

I often hear the comment that it is our diversity that makes us strong. It is not; it is our constitution that is the power behind The United States of America. There are crooks and traitors on both side of the political aisle but overall this country is and hopefully always will be a beacon of hope and light in a dark and dangerous world.

ARMCX1

Mayor
Amazing beautiful and haunting song. I think it was written in the 1980s but it sounds like a period song from the civil war era. Supposedly, the song is about nostalgia for a camp that the composer went to as a kid -- according to wikipedia.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Amazing beautiful and haunting song. I think it was written in the 1980s but it sounds like a period song from the civil war era. Supposedly, the song is about nostalgia for a camp that the composer went to as a kid -- according to wikipedia.
I know, it sounds perfectly like a period piece; but it was written for the Ken Burns Civil War documentary.