• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Battle of Franklin,TN

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
November 30,1864. A horrendous battle. It started about 4pm in the afternoon and raged well after dark. Not very many night battles in the Civil War. It was a Union victory. 6 Confederate Generals were killed in action that day.

franklin.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
After the War some of the main structures on the battlefield were preserved. Most weren't and most of the battlefield was developed with both residential and commercial development. Some years back,the Civil War Trust and Battle Of Franklin Trust began a longterm project to purchase and restore as much of the battlefield as possible. Fortunately,a lot of the development that took place did not involve excavation so both organizations,primarily the Battle Of Franklin Trust,have been able to conduct archaeological digs at the acquired properties prior to restoration. A treasure trove of artifacts have been found and even the foundations of some of the wartime structures. Acquisition and restoration is ongoing. Many of the artifacts are on display at the Battle Of Franklin Visitor Center(Museum).

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Made a quick daytrip to Franklin during my visit to Chattanooga/Chickamauga in June. Visited the Battle Of Franklin Trust Museum,Carter House,Lotz House,Carnton Plantation and McGavock Confederate Cemetery while there. If you ever visit Franklin you gotta go to the Carter House and get the guided tour. Lotta carnage happened right around that house.

McGavock Confederate Cemetery with Carnton Plantation in the background on the right:
2016-06-07 14.04.34.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
After Franklin,the Union forces redeployed to Nashville which was their original destination. The battered Confederate Army Of Tennessee pursued and set up a line south of Nashville. This time it was the Union forces that attacked. The Battle of Nashville happened on Dec. 15-16,1864. The Confederates were routed and retreated to Tupelo, Mississippi.

nashville-december-15-16.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Six Confederate Generals killed that day.

That's rough.
At the Franklin battlefield,there is a site called Winstead Hill. It was basically Gen. Hood's forward observation post and the battle started with a flare fired from the hill. There is a memorial area there called "Brigadier's Walk" for the 5 CSA Brigadier Generals killed at Franklin. I visited there on 6/8/2017.

2017-06-08 08.55.46.jpg

2017-06-08 09.48.47.jpg

2017-06-08 08.57.30.jpg

2017-06-08 09.48.01.jpg

2017-06-08 09.46.41.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Spending Hurricane Harvey weekend reading this book personally signed by the author. Been anxious to get to it while our June HTBAR tour of Spring Hill/Franklin/Nashville and his presentation are still fresh on my mind.

51WljbTk8LL._SY400_.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Bump on 153rd Anniversary of the Battle of Franklin. The Carter House. Pic taken on 6/8/2017. The battle raged on in the yard of that house well into the night. The Carter family and some neighbors rode out the battle in the cellar of that house.

2017-06-08 10.40.56.jpg

2017-06-08 10.42.10.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The Lotz House, across the Columbia Turnpike from the Carter House. The Lotz family rode the battle out in the Carter House cellar. Pics taken 6/8/2017.

2017-06-08 14.36.28.jpg

2017-06-08 14.40.07-2.jpg

2017-06-08 14.55.07.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the best book out there about the Battle Of Franklin. Author is the CEO of The Battle Of Franklin Trust.

forcause.jpeg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Today is the Battle Of Franklin anniversary. When I visited there in June 2017,my group got a private tour of the Carter House lead by the CEO of the Battle Of Franklin Preservation Trust,Eric Jacobson. I am not a strong believer in the paranormal,but it was absolutely spooky inside that house. It became the epicenter of the battle. One of the Carter men was wounded in the battle and died in his own home.

voyager

4Q2247365
The Army of the Tenn. was poorly led by their commanding generals. Davis should have put Forrest in charge but he was not, "West Point." The South was not strong enough not to use the best possible leaders.

I am not talking about the Generals under Hood, they made their feelings known. Obeying any order is not always the best option. I guess that is why I am a loner, if I am going to fail it is going to be because of My decisions.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The Army of the Tenn. was poorly led by their commanding generals. Davis should have put Forrest in charge but he was not, "West Point." The South was not strong enough not to use the best possible leaders.

I am not talking about the Generals under Hood, they made their feelings known. Obeying any order is not always the best option. I guess that is why I am a loner, if I am going to fail it is going to be because of My decisions.
Sorry I didn't catch this bump on Wednesday. I don't get into the "What if...?" stuff too much. Everybody has their own opinion and can cite all their evidence and it always circles back to the same place...what actually happened.

voyager

4Q2247365
Sorry I didn't catch this bump on Wednesday. I don't get into the "What if...?" stuff too much. Everybody has their own opinion and can cite all their evidence and it always circles back to the same place...what actually happened.

The "what if" is fun I recommend it ;)