• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Black Society Needs to Get the Liberal Foot Off Their Neck

StanH

Council Member
I grew up at 2368 Lovejoy Street in Pomona, California. My dad drove to the LA area every day where he started as a supply clerk for a silk screen supply company. My mom never worked. I'm the youngest of five, having three older sisters and my brother being the oldest of the five. My dad slowly built a career, then started a business at the Lovejoy home. We moved from there in 1971 when I was 7 years old. I still stay in touch with my -GASP!- black friends from up the street there.

I would LOVE to see what happens when all those programs are taken away. At first, chaos. Then quickly, reality would set in. And people would realize they now have to stand on their own. They would work, network, unleash their potential, and the 'hood would become a better place to live.

We heard these doom and gloom predictions from you people during the welfare reform debate in the 90s- people and families were going to starve in the streets!

Never happened.

Really Stan? I know Callie pretty well.. specifically which inner city neighborhood did you grow up in and what did your Dad do? Did you have a Mom and a Dad who stayed together? Brothers and sisters? Honestly, i'm curious.

Have the programs solved any problems? No.. but there are plenty of case studies as to their effectiveness and how much worse things might be without them.

I would not want to see what would happen if you suddenly took ALL those programs away.. Head Start, YMCA, Planned Parenthood, mentoring programs, Big Brothers, etc etc etc.

My guess would be general chaos. It's bad enough now to motivate those kids to get out of those neighborhoods. Some will, most won't.

Looking after people is a basic tenant of a civilized society. Forget about the human part.. the compassion and desire to not see people die in the street. If you let it go to hell, we ALL pay.. more prisons, dead cops, higher insurance rates... you know, pesky inconvenient stuff like that. : )

StanH

Council Member
And even rarer when I have something to do with any gem here. It's OK, I can admit it. In fact, I'm quite happy with it. ;)

Mary....it was a pleasure reading your and Stan's discussion. You both kept it civil, and you both had some good points. Every once in a while, a gem is found....LOL

Bo-4

Senator
Liberals like you keep talking about why they can't be overcome. Conservatives talk about how they can.
Were you born poor and black into a family like the one that adopted Navin Johnson (Steve Martin) in The Jerk? Do you have rhythm?? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qut3v1KlSs

The only talk i've heard from Conservatives as to how they can overcome their problems, is from Newt who says child labor laws are stupid and that they can all be janitors. That's the dumbest "solution" most of us have ever heard.

Bo-4

Senator
I know Pomona.. i grew up in Corona Del Mar. Pomona isn't inner city Stan.. at that time it was very much middle class. ;)

StanH

Council Member
I was born a poor black child! I LOVE that line! Steve Martin's the bomb, dude.

It's all about the individual taking charge of their life. If I told you the whole story, frankly you'd be more than amazed. But hey, I suppose I could complain about how my dad was abusive. He often said "I'll beat you half to death", and backed it up with pretty aggressive use of the belt. As kids, we were pretty well kept in fear. Will that get me some sympathy and room for excuses?

Were you born poor and black into a family like the one that adopted Nathan Johnson (Steve Martin) in The Jerk? Do you have rhythm?? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qut3v1KlSs

The only talk i've heard from Conservatives as to how they can overcome their problems, is from Newt who says child labor laws are stupid and that they can all be janitors. That's the dumbest "solution" most of us have ever heard.

Council Member
It's real easy to say just take it away and it will all work out, when your not part of the problem, just sitting on the side lines watching the game of poverty go on without any officials, just arm guards and wardens.

StanH

Council Member
Yes, "plantation mentality". That's the mentality that liberals use to keep minorities from strolling off the liberal plantation. Any woman or minority who dares to venture off to conservatism will be attacked mercilessly. Even their family will be attacked. They may even be stalked.

Code words my ass. It's you liberal
ing pigs who are the racists and bigots. I KNOW blacks can make it without any help.
Many of them already have. It's you liberals who think they're so inferior, they need help from you superior white liberals.

If she's the one I'm thinking about, she's from Baltimore, and she accurately reflects common racial attitudes of many blue collar whites in her area. Racism never went away.

It just went underground (until 2008, at least).

Of course, there are exception. NCMusicman and AntiReptile have done little to disguise their open bigotry.

The GOP knows this and has constructed elaborate narratives that rewrite the history of the Civil War and the Civil Rights Struggle to make Republicans the heroes of both. And they've also established an equally elaborate narrative to rewrite their traditional hatred of civil rights and affirmative action efforts.

Now the code words are, "plantation mentality", "nanny state", etc.

Barbella

Senator
Stan...I know who YOU are, and your forays into intelligent discussions don't surprise me AT ALL....it's just nice to see you actually find a somewhat worthy "adversary", isn't it? At least Mary kept it civil and was willing to DISCUSS instead of ABUSE, which is what you usually get from the left. ;-)))

Bo-4

Senator
I was born a poor black child! I LOVE that line! Steve Martin's the bomb, dude.

It's all about the individual taking charge of their life. If I told you the whole story, frankly you'd be more than amazed. But hey, I suppose I could complain about how my dad was abusive. He often said "I'll beat you half to death", and backed it up with pretty aggressive use of the belt. As kids, we were pretty well kept in fear. Will that get me some sympathy and room for excuses?
No sympathy.. i was beaten black and blue by a belt several times. That's the way Dads were back then. Mine was an authoritarian while Mom was the diplomat. But even she couldn't keep him in check all the time.

But still i can't complain. I had an unbelievably safe and secure childhood and never went hungry.. you?

StanH

Council Member
Yeah... and can't say I'm surprised that Gekko just dropped in with the usual nonsense than ran as fast as he could. I gotta say, Bo pleasantly surprised me.

Stan...I know who YOU are, and your forays into intelligent discussions don't surprise me AT ALL....it's just nice to see you actually find a somewhat worthy "adversary", isn't it? At least Mary kept it civil and was willing to DISCUSS instead of ABUSE, which is what you usually get from the left. ;-)))

StanH

Council Member
No sympathy.. i was beaten black and blue by a belt several times. That's the way Dads were back then. Mine was an authoritarian while Mom was the diplomat. But even she couldn't keep him in check all the time.

But still i can't complain. I had an unbelievably safe and secure childhood and never went hungry.. you?
I had pretty much the same childhood. But couldn't we easily have decided we were abused, sat around, felt sorry for ourselves, and ended up needing government rehabilitation and programs to recover and become productive?

Incidentally, as a parent, I swinged (or is it swung) the pendulum too far the opposite direction. I've been too permissive with my kids. While I had to scrimp and save for my $350 Pinto and insurance, my wife and I bought an $11,000 Accord and insurance for our oldest. The younger one got similar.

It doesn't seem to have hurt the younger one, but the older one has taken things for granted. Oh well, I guess that's parenthood. We do our best and move on.

Or will my oldest need a government program because I've been too permissive? ;)

Council Member
Yes, "plantation mentality". That's the mentality that liberals use to keep minorities from strolling off the liberal plantation. Any woman or minority who dares to venture off to conservatism will be attacked mercilessly. Even their family will be attacked. They may even be stalked.

Code words my ass. It's you liberal
ing pigs who are the racists and bigots. I KNOW blacks can make it without any help.
Many of them already have. It's you liberals who think they're so inferior, they need help from you superior white liberals.
The problem isn't got anything to do with moving up, it's about turning your backs of where you came from just because you made it out.

Leaving your past behind is exactly what people like Cain and others have done.

StanH

Council Member
Huh? What's wrong with leaving your past behind? Why does Herman Cain or anyone else have any obligation to go back to wherever they came from to ______________________? The only responsibility there is is for the individual to get their shit together and make something of themselves- with or without Herman Cain's help.

The problem isn't got anything to do with moving up, it's about turning your backs of where you came from just because you made it out.

Leaving your past behind is exactly what people like Cain and others have done.

StanH

Council Member
Bo, I specifically said I wasn't raised in the inner city. And Lovejoy Street wasn't quite middle class. We had five kids in a three-bedroom, 1,000 square foot house. We had a small Opel to get us all around. I walked to school, uphill in both directions. ;)

I know Pomona.. i grew up in Corona Del Mar. Pomona isn't inner city Stan.. at that time it was very much middle class. ;)

Bo-4

Senator
Bo, I specifically said I wasn't raised in the inner city. And Lovejoy Street wasn't quite middle class. We had five kids in a three-bedroom, 1,000 square foot house. We had a small Opel to get us all around. I walked to school, uphill in both directions. ;)
My bad.. you did say that it was a black neighborhood.. Pomona more than 10% black? Oh well, i'll take your word for it. So you had an Opel Cadet as a family and graduated to a Pinto? Wasn't that the one that blew up if somebody rear ended you?

Still, i must empathize with your hardship of walking to school uphill both ways (and probably carrying a tuba or cello) :D

:violin:

Cicero

Mayor
You could say that all of those living in poverty need to reach for more, no matter the color of their skin or their belief system, and then you would be a little more accurate.
You could say that all of those living in poverty need to WORK LONGER AND HARDER TO EARN more, no matter the color of their skin or their belief system, and then you would be a little more accurate. Now that's how to be a worthwhile citizen rather than a parasite.

Cicero

Mayor
Most people are capable. But if leftwingers had their way then nobody would ever HAVE to work for a living. Money/income magically falls from the sky in the bizarro reality of leftwingers, don't you know?

gabriel

Governor
what i do know is you seem prone to ridiculous generalizations and exaggerations and for that and other reasons, causes me to place little value on any of your opinions on any subject.