• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Books! April 2021

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
Currently reading:

The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race by Walter Isaacson - Gene editing is a fascinating subject but I keep putting this one down as for a best selling author Walter Isaacson bores the crap out of me. I don't know if I'll get through this but I'm at the stage where I'm skipping over page after page of the boring parts.

A History of the United States in Five Crashes: Stock Market Meltdowns That Defined a Nation by Scott Nations - Looks at the events leading up to and the aftermath of 5 financial crashes in the last century, The Panic of 1907, Black Tuesday (1929), Black Monday (1987), The Great Recession (2008) and The Flash Crash (2010). As always in history we don't seem to learn from our mistakes. This is a good book if you like reading about the stock market. Finished this book earlier this weekend.

Fulfillment: Winning and Losing in One-Click America by Alec MacGillis - This one is about Amazon's impact on the US economy as told through the lives of selected individuals who have been affected but it. Just started this one and it is holding my attention. You'll learn more about how Amazon operates and what effect it is having on the country. If you are the kind of person that gets all pissed off about Walmart you're gonna get even madder at Amazon. I almost passed on this one but am glad I decided to read it. https://www.publishersweekly.com/9780374159276

Now that being said we all know that the more things change the more they stay the same. Throughout time innovation has made drastic changes in the way people live and things get better for some and worse for others. Many of you, my followers here at PJ probably either don't even know what A&P grocery stores were or remember them as an anachronism even back then from back when you were a kid. What you probably don't know is that they were the Walmart or Amazon of their day hated by many for "destroying" neighborhoods and putting people out of work. What Amazon is doing to main street America today is no different than what Walmart did to it back in the 1980s and 1990s. And that is no different than what A&P stores did back in the early 1900s. And someday someone will do it to Amazon.

Here's some recommended books on A&P and Walmart:

PNWest

I gave up on The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race by Walter Isaacson. Just couldn't slog through the boring writing. I should have know that Isaacson couldn't hold my interest. Hopefully I'll find another book about CRISPR because this is a technology that may very well be critical to our futures.

Now reading: Remember: The Science of Memory and the Art of Forgetting by Lisa Genova. Virtually every adult I know over 30 is worried that they forget things. We have a terrible fear of getting Alzheimers and losing our marbles. This book looked like it would explore the subject and at least allow me to learn more about how memory works. It's a good read and I've learned a lot. Worth checking out if you are worried that forgeting where you left your car keys means you are getting Alzheimers.

Also reading: After: A Doctor Explores What Near-Death Experiences Reveal about Life and Beyond by Dr. Bruce Greyson

Saw this one while I was checking out the book above. It caught my eye and I glanced through it a bit and it looks interesting. It is. This one is an easy read about an interesting subject. I'm actually enjoying it more than the above book.

Have fun.....

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Also reading: After: A Doctor Explores What Near-Death Experiences Reveal about Life and Beyond by Dr. Bruce Greyson
The topic is most interesting... I bet the book would be interesting to read.
I posted a video several years ago of this neuro surgeon, also an author of, Proof Of Heaven .

PNWest

The topic is most interesting... I bet the book would be interesting to read.
I posted a video several years ago of this neuro surgeon, also an author of, Proof Of Heaven .

Yes - the book was very good. One of the best books I've read this year.

PNWest

So, what do you think... are you convinced, is it real (NDE)?

I think the preponderance of the evidence indicates that NDEs are real. Exactly how it works I do not know but far roo many instances of them where the 'dead' person accurately described the people that were working on their 'dead' body to just blow these reports off completely.

Does the mind exist after the brain dies? I'm guessing yes. It would sync up with most major religions having the concept of reincarnation or heaven or hell.

But like Albert King sang: Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.....

Hopefully it will be a long time till I have the definitive answer.