• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Books - August

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan
Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death, and Glory in America’s Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt by Daniel Barbarisi

A wealthy Art dealer named Forest Fenn decided he wanted to create a real treasure hunt. He filled a small chest with gold coins, jewels and other pricy artifacts then placed it somewhere north of Santa Fe. To publicize this he published a book and a poem which if interpreted correctly would lead you to the treasure.

Thousands of people went nuts trying to find the treasure. 5 died. Fenn recieved a massive amount of publicity and a fair number of death threats. This book tells the story of the hunt.

It's not a bad read. Interesting subject, reasonably well written. If you are looking for something non-fiction but not political to read you might enjoy this. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Still haven't read yet..... I just haven't gotten around to these yet :(

The Outlier: The Life and Presidency of Jimmy Carter
by Kai Bird

This is the first really in depth biography I have seen of Jimmy Carter. The book has good reviews and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll let you know if it is worth your time.

and....

Two books on the Trump administrations disastrous failure with COVID-19. Face it, as bad as Carter was as a President at least he wasn't responsible for the deaths of over 600,000 Americans like Donald Trump is.

Preventable by Andy Slavit

from GoodReads review:
"With unparalleled access to the key players throughout the government on both sides of the aisle, the principal public figures, as well as the people working on the frontline involved in fighting the virus, Slavitt brings you into the room as fateful decisions are made and focuses on the people at the center of the political system, health care system, patients, and caregivers. The story that emerges is one of a country in which -- despite the heroics of many -- bad leadership, political and cultural fractures, and an unwillingness to sustain sacrifice light a fuse that is difficult to extinguish."

Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's Response to the Pandemic That Changed History by Yasmeen Abutaleb & Damian Paletta

from GoodReads review:
"Based on exhaustive reporting and hundreds of hours of interviews from inside the disaster zone at all levels of authority, Nightmare Scenario is a riveting account of how the United States government failed its people as never before, a tragedy whose devastating aftershocks will linger and be felt by generations to come. "