• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Brain Games...

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Although the NatGeo show is in its fourth season, I just encountered it recently.

Mind boggling stuff about how the brain works. It explains why we do not see the dancing bear when tasked with counting passes and the like. The show dismantles everyday concepts like color. The idea there is the the colors we see...are not the colors of the object. Indeed, it is the exact opposite. What we see is the rejected color...bounced into our little eye recepticles, those cones and rods.

http://braingames.nationalgeographic.com/

fairsheet

Senator
Although the NatGeo show is in its fourth season, I just encountered it recently.

Mind boggling stuff about how the brain works. It explains why we do not see the dancing bear when tasked with counting passes and the like. The show dismantles everyday concepts like color. The idea there is the the colors we see...are not the colors of the object. Indeed, it is the exact opposite. What we see is the rejected color...bounced into our little eye recepticles, those cones and rods.

http://braingames.nationalgeographic.com/
I love the show. We take the magazine as well. We also give a subscription to our son-in-law as well. He shares it with his sons. Our son-in-law is a bit of a Fox/GOPster and gun "enthusiast", but we decided long ago, that we weren't going to drive any wedges. The NatGeo is just one way of our making a positive connection.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I love the show. We take the magazine as well. We also give a subscription to our son-in-law as well. He shares it with his sons. Our son-in-law is a bit of a Fox/GOPster and gun "enthusiast", but we decided long ago, that we weren't going to drive any wedges. The NatGeo is just one way of our making a positive connection.
Did a tad of binge watching.

The website features "The Mind Matrix". This is where the differences in people come into focus. While we are all "wired" the same in theory, we are not wired the same in reality. This is the reason why some are "social butterflies" while some are "reserved individuals". Why some are "impartial judges" and some "sentimental idealists"; some "keen investigators", others "casual observers"...

Until we accept that these differences are both hard wired and required for a truly productive and well rounded society, discourse will be somewhere between hostile and impossible.

fairsheet

Senator
Did a tad of binge watching.

The website features "The Mind Matrix". This is where the differences in people come into focus. While we are all "wired" the same in theory, we are not wired the same in reality. This is the reason why some are "social butterflies" while some are "reserved individuals". Why some are "impartial judges" and some "sentimental idealists"; some "keen investigators", others "casual observers"...

Until we accept that these differences are both hard wired and required for a truly productive and well rounded society, discourse will be somewhere between hostile and impossible.
When we were kids, our mothers taught us that if we chose to, we could be the President of the United States some day! Now I'm absolutely not one of those "fatuates" that insists that our mothers LIED!!! They told us that in good faith and I'm guessing it was umpteen times more positive than it was negative.

Having qualified all that.....what our mothers told us was NOT necessarily true. Set aside things like legacy, education, experience, physical attractiveness and most of the other traits that tend to define our presidents. Our presidents - heck, most of our elected officials of whatever party - have personal hardwired characteristics that set them apart from you and me. For instance, is it in your makeup to be selling yourself on a public stage, 24/7?

This information is useful to us in a coupla ways. First, note how GOPs are spinning some of the same hate angles around Obama as we lefters did back in the L'il George day. These are criticisms that go more to any president, simply by dint of their having the personal traits required to become president. We're deluding ourselves then, when we ignore that reality.

On the other hand, I'm certain that millions of "average" people spend their lives bemoaning the fact that they haven't met one standard or another, when what they should be doing is an honest evaluation of their own PERSONAL strengths and weaknesses and arriving at the their own personal standards.