• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Building a Wall is a Giant Waste of Money

People crossing the southern border illegally, have to cross hundreds of miles of desert where they face a lack of food, water, first aid. Their lives are threatened by snakes, scorpions, and coyotes(both wild dogs and human traffickers). You think the are going to come all that way to see a 10 ft wall and turn around? No, they are going to go find the nearest Casa Depot, buy a 12 ft ladder and scale the wall, no problem. A wall wouldn't be a barrier to entering the country. Republicans want to spend billions of dollars on what will effectively be a minor nuisance to entering the U.S.
Legal Immigration is what needs to be reformed. It needs to be easier/cheaper/safer to enter the country legally than to cross illegally. Then we can at least see who is immigrating.

Caroljo

Senator
Put up the wall....place camera's along the top of it that will show anyone trying to climb it. Board guards are then dispatched to that area. Maybe even bury land mines on our side about 8" apart and maybe 30 ft or so into the US boarder. They might think twice about it. :)

Land Mines eh? So you like North Korea's wall?

And the Mexican drug cartels are some of the best tunnelers in the world. Tunnels that are 90 ft deep. You are essentially giving them another revenue stream- Human trafficking.

Caroljo

Senator
Land Mines eh? So you like North Korea's wall?

And the Mexican drug cartels are some of the best tunnelers in the world. Tunnels that are 90 ft deep. You are essentially giving them another revenue stream- Human trafficking.
North Korea has a wall like that to keep people OUT? Really? I can't imagine who would want to sneak in there!

When I make this argument Republicans counter with ridiculously extravagant wall accessories. land mines, terminators, lasers, etc. Realistically they aren't keeping Diego the drug smuggler out. Diego the drug dealer has made a living of outsmarting law enforcement for decades, Diego has seen this possibility for decades and has well established and viable contingencies. They are just threatening violence against Frederico the Fruit Picker and Maria the Maid who want a better life for their children

BobbyT

Governor
Put up the wall....place camera's along the top of it that will show anyone trying to climb it. Board guards are then dispatched to that area. Maybe even bury land mines on our side about 8" apart and maybe 30 ft or so into the US boarder. They might think twice about it. :)
Do you know that ranchers run cattle right up to the border? There are also fields right up to the border. You really want the cattle and sheep and dogs and even children of US ranchers running the risk of stepping on a land mine? Really? Also are you aware the it is extremely easy to take out an unattended camera? Not to mention how expensive they are and how much electronic infrastructure would be necessary to run the repeaters to get a wi-fi signal from a camera to a monitoring station (and how easy it is to take out repeaters too - you are aware of how long the border with Mexico is, aren't you?

BobbyT

Governor
So then...it sounds like the N Korea wall works. Maybe we should do the same.
The DMZ is 160 miles wide. The US-Mexico border is just shy of 2,000 miles. Quite a difference. Plus the DMZ is 2.5 miles wide - do you think the US government should annex 2.5 miles inside the US border and put heavy military and land mines across that stretch? What do you suppose that would cost? You're as loony as Trump.

BobbyT

Governor
When I make this argument Republicans counter with ridiculously extravagant wall accessories. land mines, terminators, lasers, etc. Realistically they aren't keeping Diego the drug smuggler out. Diego the drug dealer has made a living of outsmarting law enforcement for decades, Diego has seen this possibility for decades and has well established and viable contingencies. They are just threatening violence against Frederico the Fruit Picker and Maria the Maid who want a better life for their children
A wall just means a tunnel is needed. Land mines just mean the tunnel needs to be a little longer. These people are nuts if they think unattended cameras and land mines and a wall are going to make any difference. The only thing that will make a difference (if one is needed) is to help Mexico solve their drug smuggling problem that is caused by the DEMAND here in the US.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
People crossing the southern border illegally, have to cross hundreds of miles of desert where they face a lack of food, water, first aid. Their lives are threatened by snakes, scorpions, and coyotes(both wild dogs and human traffickers). You think the are going to come all that way to see a 10 ft wall and turn around? No, they are going to go find the nearest Casa Depot, buy a 12 ft ladder and scale the wall, no problem. A wall wouldn't be a barrier to entering the country. Republicans want to spend billions of dollars on what will effectively be a minor nuisance to entering the U.S.
Legal Immigration is what needs to be reformed. It needs to be easier/cheaper/safer to enter the country legally than to cross illegally. Then we can at least see who is immigrating.
I'm against a wall for several reasons besides initial cost. Setting up a guard system would cost as much, if not more, than TSA. It's a line defense meaning anyone who circumvents the wall by boat or plane is home free unless we spend more money or change laws to catch them..which negates the need for a wall.

@ObamacareForever I didn't see your intro post. Did you make one? Tell us about yourself. You're obviously solidly Left Wing.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
What good is a wall when the President is bringing illegals in?

and doing nothing for Americans

For the life of me, I cannot understand this fear of Mexicans. Tell me again why we should spend countless billions to keep those good people out. What is it about Mexicans that drives the right wing nuts?

TheResister

Council Member
I've seen some really good replies on this thread. I am not in favor of a wall because there is not only the initial cost, but there is the costs of maintaining the wall along with the fact that the major cost would be that of our own Liberties. To wit:

There exists a CONSTITUTION FREE ZONE that is, if you believe the pretext, there to help enforce immigration laws. So, within 100 miles of the border, your constitutional guarantees are null void, meaningless, worthless, nonexistent. Where does the assault on Liberty end? We're talking the 24 / 7/ 365 surveillance of all people, all the time to keep out so - called "illegal aliens" when we're allowing the Republicans and anti - immigrant types to say they aren't opposed to legal (sic) immigration.

The rub is that our immigration laws haven't been revised in over 50 years. We could allow people to come here legally, but I would propose that increasing the numbers of Guest Workers should not result in any automatic path to citizenship. There is an issue with immigration; however, trying to resolve it by destroying our own Liberty is tantamount to brushing your teeth with Drano. Yeah, your teeth would get white, but at what ultimate cost?