• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Bush, Obama celebrate protestors who march for a better future

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
George W Bush: those trying to silence protesters 'do not understand the meaning of America. The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or how it becomes a better place.”

Obama: It falls on all of us, regardless of our race or station -- including the majority of men and women in law enforcement who take pride in doing their tough job the right way, every day -- to work together to create a 'new normal' in which the legacy of bigotry and unequal treatment no longer infects our institutions or our hearts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/george-w-bush-calls-out-racial-injustices-and-celebrates-protesters-who-march-for-a-better-future/2020/06/02/2d2f7252-a511-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html

That'll leave a mark. Trump can't handle even indirect criticism. Both Bush and Obama preferred to remain silent during the Trump aberration, so I'm glad they're speaking up.

Last edited:

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
And former VP Biden weighs in as well.

In a speech in Philadelphia Tuesday, former Vice President Joe Biden called for finally confronting and remediating America’s original sin.

“The moment has come for our nation to deal with systemic racism,” Biden said. “To deal with the growing economic inequality in our nation. And to deal with the denial of the promise of this nation — to so many.”

“We are in a battle for the soul of this nation,” he said.” Who we are. What we believe. And maybe most important — who we want to be.”

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
George W Bush: those trying to silence protesters 'do not understand the meaning of America. The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or how it becomes a better place.”

Obama: It falls on all of us, regardless of our race or station -- including the majority of men and women in law enforcement who take pride in doing their tough job the right way, every day -- to work together to create a 'new normal' in which the legacy of bigotry and unequal treatment no longer infects our institutions or our hearts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/george-w-bush-calls-out-racial-injustices-and-celebrates-protesters-who-march-for-a-better-future/2020/06/02/2d2f7252-a511-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html

That'll leave a mark. Trump can't handle even indirect criticism. Both Bush and Obama preferred to remain silent during the Trump aberration, so I'm glad they're speaking up.
Well, they are cousins and evidently love Antifa

PJ Libs hated Bush before they loved him :)

Last edited:

Emily

NSDAP Kanzler
to work together to create a 'new normal' in which the legacy of bigotry and unequal treatment no longer infects our institutions or our hearts.
“The moment has come for our nation to deal with systemic racism,” Biden said.
Fine words from all 3. Yet, why is this about race at all?
Had the officer treated a White man the same way, would it not have been just egregious? Would it not have merited an outcry, this officer's dismissal (which happened) and arrest (also happened)?

UPNYA2

Mayor

Would have been helpful had George elected to point out who exactly he was referring to when he said, "those trying to silence protesters 'do not understand the meaning of America.", for I have neither seen nor heard anyone saying that should be done.

Perhaps you could clarify it for us all in his stead?

You see, I am betting that poor George, like so many others today, has fallen victim to his desire to be approved of by the loony fringe left so he is willing to just accept their perception of looting, rioting, burning, stealing, beating and killing others as being perfectly acceptable, protected forms of protesting.

I do not. I never will. But you just be you, ok?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Thanks all, for weighing in on remarks from 2 former presidents and a former VP speaking out to affirm our 1st amendment right to protest.

The First Amendment protects several basic freedoms in the United States including freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition the government. It was part of the Bill of Rights that was added to the Constitution on December 15, 1791.

EatTheRich

President
Fine words from all 3. Yet, why is this about race at all?
Had the officer treated a White man the same way, would it not have been just egregious? Would it not have merited an outcry, this officer's dismissal (which happened) and arrest (also happened)?
Of course. It also would have been 5 times less likely to happen.

UPNYA2

Mayor
Thanks all, for weighing in on remarks from 2 former presidents and a former VP speaking out to affirm our 1st amendment right to protest.

The First Amendment protects several basic freedoms in the United States including freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition the government. It was part of the Bill of Rights that was added to the Constitution on December 15, 1791.
It is true, the First Amendment protects several basic freedoms in the United States including;
"freedom of religion",
except when governments are preventing Church services.
"freedom of speech", except if what you have to say might upset someone on the let. Then it is "hate speech" and must be eliminated.
"freedom of the press", unless it comes across as contrary to what dems think, then it must be deleated or re-title/worded, (you out there NYTs?), to suit their agendas.
the right to assemble",
except when governments say you can't. Not in Church, restaurants, bars, movies, shoe stores, pretty much anywhere except in the street to loot and burn thess same places.
"the right to petition the government.", now that it has come to mean the right to run wild in the streets terrorizing citizens in their own home towns.

Any comment on those?

Last edited:

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
It is true, the First Amendment protects several basic freedoms in the United States including;
"freedom of religion",
except when governments are preventing Church services.
"freedom of speech", except if what you have to say might upset someone on the let. Then it is "hate speech" and must be eliminated.
"freedom of the press", unless it comes across as contrary to what dems think, then it must be deleated or re-title/worded, (you out there NYTs?), to suit their agendas.
the right to assemble",
except when governments say you can't. Not in Church, restaurants, bars, movies, shoe stores, pretty much anywhere except in the street to loot and burn thess same places.
"the right to petition the government.", now that it has come to mean the right to run wild in the streets terrorizing citizens in their own home towns.

Any comment on those?
According to Trump, everything is a hoax or fake news.....if it reflects poorly on him. Don't be like Trump.

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member

Who's trying to silence protesters? Everyone I know is ok with peaceful protests, but against those that undermine the protests with theft, destruction, and violence.

EatTheRich

President
Who's trying to silence protesters? Everyone I know is ok with peaceful protests, but against those that undermine the protests with theft, destruction, and violence.
If that were true they’d be all for giving all the peaceful protesters guns so they could deter those who would undermine their protests with theft, destruction, and violence. Instead the government is sending in agents to commit acts of theft, destruction, and violence so they can have a pretext to attack the protesters.

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member
If that were true they’d be all for giving all the peaceful protesters guns so they could deter those who would undermine their protests with theft, destruction, and violence. Instead the government is sending in agents to commit acts of theft, destruction, and violence so they can have a pretext to attack the protesters.
If the government would give guns to protesters, I'd be at every protest! At least long enough to collect my new gun.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Doesn't FoxNews show the growing number of peaceful protesters around the country (and around the world) or are they just focusing on diminishing acts of violence?
The feds arrested 4 Boogaloo Bois, that extremist rightwing group, in Las Vegas. Did FoxNews cover that?

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member
Doesn't FoxNews show the growing number of peaceful protesters around the country (and around the world) or are they just focusing on diminishing acts of violence?
The feds arrested 4 Boogaloo Bois, that extremist rightwing group, in Las Vegas. Did FoxNews cover that?
There were protests that started out as peaceful here in Tulsa, but then turned to blocking a highway, looting, and vandalism, etc. Many of the peaceful protestors have called for a stop to the violence, it is counter productive to the message they want to send. I've heard that there are paid agitators here stirring things up, which I can believe. We didn't have riots after the Good Friday murders, or after Terrance Crutcher's death.
I had never heard of the boogaloo bois until yesterday.
KRMG and KFAQ, local conservative radio stations, are where I've heard most of this.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Carter joins Bush and Obama. Here's Jimmy Carter's statement.

Rosalynn and I are pained by the tragic racial injustices and consequent backlash across our nation in recent weeks. Our hearts are with the victims' families and all who feel hopeless in the face of pervasive racial discrimination and outright cruelty. We all must shine a spotlight on the immorality of racial discrimination. But violence, whether spontaneous or consciously incited, is not a solution.

As a white male of the South, I know all too well the impact of segregation and injustice to African Americans. As a politician, I felt a responsibility to bring equity to my state and our country. In my 1971 inaugural address as Georgia's governor, I said: "The time for racial discrimination is over." With great sorrow and disappointment, I repeat those words today, nearly five decades later. Dehumanizing people debases us all; humanity is beautifully and almost infinitely diverse. The bonds of our common humanity must overcome the divisiveness of our fears and prejudices.

Since leaving the White House in 1981, Rosalynn and I have strived to advance human rights in countries around the world. In this quest, we have seen that silence can be as deadly as violence. People of power, privilege, and moral conscience must stand up and say "no more" to a racially discriminatory police and justice system, immoral economic disparities between whites and blacks, and government actions that undermine our unified democracy. We are responsible for creating a world of peace and equality for ourselves and future generations.

We need a government as good as its people, and we are better than this.