• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Can Mice Help Us Control Ageing?

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Then we'll have to develope cats that live twice as long. And why would humans even want to live twice as long?

Let me explain, Jack: If we can get mice to live twice as long as they normally do, we MIGHT be able to do the same thing with humans.

Tough concept, I know.

Then we'll have to develope cats that live twice as long. And why would humans even want to live twice as long?
We almost doubled life expectancy in the 20th century. It wasn't much above 40 years at the beginning of the last century. Why not double it again, as many scientists think will be quite possible? A great scientist or inventor could accomplish a lot more in 140 years of life.

Only people who truly despise their own life would be 'content' to die at the age of 60 or 70.

You must be in that category, Jack.

ARMCX1

Mayor
According to the article, elevated GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) levels extend the lives of mice by 10% to 100% over normal control mice with normal levels of GnRH. The article state that a chemical called NF-kB shortens the lives of mice by reducing the level of GnRH.

NF-kB is a transcription factor -- a DNA binding protein that recognizes a specific DNA sequence and binds to it -- and in the case of GnRH, negatively regulates the expression of the GnRH gene. The negative regulation reduces GnRH levels and shortens the lives of mice.

The study blocks the effects of NF-kB by taking advantage of natural inhibitors of NF-kB call IkBs. These IkB mask the protein signal that sends NF-kB into the nucleus where it bind to the GnRH gene. Since the NF-kB can't get into the nucleus, it can't down regulate GnRH so the GnRH levels remain high and the mice live longer.

It's an example of a transcriptional network (transcription is the copying of DNA into messenger RNA which is the template for proteins) that regulates aging, obesity, neuronal cell survival, diabetes, fertility, and in other settings, inflammation. NF-kB is a major intermediary in multiple diverse biological processes.

So we are all going to look beautiful and young. No selling out of souls like Dorian Gray had to do. Just understanding the nature that is in us.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I suspect that those who have created a miserable existence for themselves will be free to opt out.
I'm reminded of the movie "In Time" in which Science has defeated the ageing process and people stop ageing at 25. The new currency is time and each person wears theirs on their arm. It's a cool movie but not a representative of a society I'd want to live in.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'm reminded of the movie "In Time" in which Science has defeated the ageing process and people stop ageing at 25. The new currency is time and each person wears theirs on their arm. It's a cool movie but not a representative of a society I'd want to live in.
Yeah, I've seen that movie too. I was a bigger fan of the dystopian genre of sci fi back when I was younger. I have a sort of "been there, done that" attitude toward those movies now. They are depressing. I am of the opinion, however, that Gattaca is a movie that everyone should see. I thought it was every bit as thought provoking as was Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Yeah, I've seen that movie too. I was a bigger fan of the dystopian genre of sci fi back when I was younger. I have a sort of "been there, done that" attitude toward those movies now. They are depressing. I am of the opinion, however, that Gattaca is a movie that everyone should see. I thought it was every bit as thought provoking as was Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.
I'm not a SciFi fan generally. I used to like Twilight Zone but most of it just isn't interesting to me. I like The Walking Dead because I believe that is what Democrats will eventually become and killing them will be legal.

I'm not a SciFi fan generally. I used to like Twilight Zone but most of it just isn't interesting to me. I like The Walking Dead becdause I believe that is what Democrats will eventually become and killing them will be legal.
I have noticed that teenage boys like zombie movies and teenage girls like vampire movies.

So 'The Walking Dead" does seem to fit your level of emotional maturity, Jack. I bet George W. Bush likes it, too.