• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Can somone here answer a question about Syria?

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Why does the US want to overthrow the Assad regime? I've looked everywhere an I can't find anything other than wacky conspiracy theories. Is it simply to export democracy?

EatTheRich

President
My understanding: Syria has been a consistent ally of Russia and opponent of U.S. interests in the region for decades. It has led opposition to the U.S.'s ally Israel for a long time, and has supported the anti-American, anti-Israel Hezbollah.

Days

Commentator
My understanding: Syria has been a consistent ally of Russia and opponent of U.S. interests in the region for decades. It has led opposition to the U.S.'s ally Israel for a long time, and has supported the anti-American, anti-Israel Hezbollah.
that's pretty much it, although I would have worded it differently; Israel wants to expand into and swallow up Syria, so we are helping Israel by destroying all semblance of civilization in Syria.

EatTheRich

President
I would argue that the U.S. is seeking a favorable balance of power there, not necessarily the triumph of this or that power. In fact, its goals and Israel's have increasingly diverged in recent months as the U.S. has made organizing a fight against Islamic State a priority over a fight against Assad.

Why does the US want to overthrow the Assad regime? I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything other than wacky conspiracy theories. Is it simply to export democracy?
Wahhabi Lobby

Sunnis, led by Saudi Arabia, against Shiites, led by Iran, is no alternate history. It's been going on continually for almost 1400 years.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
Great friends with the Iranians as well.

However, I don't see those as ample reasons to overthrow a regime, especially when one considers the possible implications of a Syrian power vacuum and those likely to fill it. This is one subject where I differed with the Obama Administration and one that Hillary intended to pursue.

Is regime change ever justified? One could point out that Qaddafi had American blood on his hands, so supporting his overthrow was justifiable, but I'm about 50-50 on that.

And then there is Iraq.

EatTheRich

President
Great friends with the Iranians as well.

However, I don't see those as ample reasons to overthrow a regime, especially when one considers the possible implications of a Syrian power vacuum and those likely to fill it. This is one subject where I differed with the Obama Administration and one that Hillary intended to pursue.

Is regime change ever justified? One could point out that Qaddafi had American blood on his hands, so supporting his overthrow was justifiable, but I'm about 50-50 on that.

And then there is Iraq.
And I think if you look at Obama's record, the priority shifted in his later years to fighting IS even if that meant Assad stayed in power. Clinton was more anti-Assad but Trump largely seems to be following the pattern laid down by Obama.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
And I think if you look at Obama's record, the priority shifted in his later years to fighting IS even if that meant Assad stayed in power. Clinton was more anti-Assad but Trump largely seems to be following the pattern laid down by Obama.
Good point.

Hey, I want to ask you what you think of a Kurdistan, whether one should be established, whether you think they deserve one?

Self-determination and such.

Last edited:
Why does the US want to overthrow the Assad regime? I've looked everywhere an I can't find anything other than wacky conspiracy theories. Is it simply to export democracy?
If gas pipelines run from Qatar to Turkey and from there to Europe Russia is cut out of the picture - Syria said no to Qatar's pipelines.

As QT said it’s about the gas pipelines. This is common practice and no different for the US and it’s allies. Russia has a two fold interest in Syria. Preserving their European gas market and protecting their warm water port at Tarsus. The Obama administration threatened both of Russia’s warm water ports, Sevastopol in Crimea and Tarsus in Syria at the same time. After the abuse of UNSCR 1973 in Libya, China and Russia vetoed all three attempts by Obama to secure a similar UNSCR for Syria.