• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Cancel Culture. The topic of mods banning posters is now the biggest political issue on the right.

Spamature

President
the cancelling seems like a mob mentality. my way or the highway. if we don't like a verdict or an election result we will burn the town down.
Cancel culture is against individuals for their actions, not an act against the system. The complaint about cancel culture is the moderation of the system. It is actually about the cancelled themselves want back in the system without consequences, or it should not exist.

If I can't have in, no one should.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Which is that, a legitimate issue, or a distraction from vulgar behavior ?
The legitimate issue of the removal of vulgar behavior. Which is neither cancel culture nor a distraction. But factually the removal of vulgar behavior, legitimized by the established rules of this board.

Spamature

President
The legitimate issue of the removal of vulgar behavior. Which is neither cancel culture nor a distraction. But factually the removal of vulgar behavior, legitimized by the established rules of this board.
I mean the big picture. All sites have rules. The GOP hair isn't on fire over what goes on, on this board.

As you say vulgar is subjective. It is what the mod thinks is vulgar behavior.

The complaint is that it is not up to the mods to decide what is and is not vulgar and that decision is a violation of their free speech rights.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I mean the big picture. All sites have rules. The GOP hair isn't on fire over what goes on, on this board.

As you say vulgar is subjective. It is what the mod thinks is vulgar behavior.

The complaint is that it is not up to the mods to decide what is and is not vulgar and that decision is a violation of their free speech rights.
No. I say vulgar is vulgar...and in decent society everyone knows it when they see it..

Where is this complaint...here?

Spamature

President
Could be. You're losing me here with all your pretzeling logic..

If you don't like the moderation here, please leave
This ain't about you, me, or this site.

I am trying to discuss the bigger issue.

And you have to agree that it is a very big issue on the right.

Also, it is not pretzel logic. It is the central question at hand.

Sure there might be a point where everyone agrees that something is vulgar.

But the tumult over cancel culture says that the issue is not about what everyone agrees on, or there would be no cancel culture outcry.

Which is why I asked the question.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
This ain't about you, me, or this site.

I am trying to discuss the bigger issue.

And you have to agree that it is a very big issue on the right.

Also, it is not pretzel logic. It is the central question at hand.

Sure there might be a point where everyone agrees that something is vulgar.

But the tumult over cancel culture says that the issue is not about what everyone agrees on, or there would be no cancel culture outcry.

Which is why I asked the question.
i'm not following.

dont really care what cancel culture thinks

Spamature

President
i'm not following.

dont really care what cancel culture thinks
But the GOP really, really, really does care about what cancel culture thinks or else it would not be a topic. They are making what they think about cancel culture the foremost pressing issue of our times, regardless.

You're actually agreeing with cancel culture over vulgarity being objective, and everyone knows it when they see it, and the mods are just doing what they should do when they come across it.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
There are no "free speech rights" in privately owned, privately operated forums.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
But the GOP really, really, really does care about what cancel culture thinks or else it would not be a topic. They are making what they think about cancel culture the foremost pressing issue of our times, regardless.

You're actually agreeing with cancel culture over vulgarity being objective, and everyone knows it when they see it, and the mods are just doing what they should do when they come across it.
That's odd. It seems more to me your attempt to equate it, for some absurd need or other

Spamature

President
There are no "free speech rights" in privately owned, privately operated forums.
But the still "feel" that their rights are being violated. And their feelings are paramount. They take precedence over law. Or have you learned nothing after all this time ?

Spamature

President
That's odd. It seems more to me your attempt to equate it, for some absurd need or other
The only thing that is the same is that exchanges are moderated under the site rules. It is just strange that you guys have really thought about something you're carrying out an activity that the GOP would legislate, and could carry real world consequences, if they were in power.

Does that sound absurd ?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing that is the same is that exchanges are moderated under the site rules. It is just strange that you guys have really thought about something you're carrying out an activity that the GOP would legislate, and could carry real world consequences, if they were in power.

Does that sound absurd ?
Honest to God I really don't follow. I don't think anybody, legislation or not, is really going to give a shit what happens in a site like this.