• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Changing Change - What should the U.S. Mint do?

What should the U.S. Mint do about the coins it mints?

• No Changes

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Change the mix of metals to reduce cost

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Eliminate some of the denominations

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters

fairsheet

Senator
It'll never happen! We've known for several decades now, that the cost of printing paper one dollar bills, is outrageous as compared with that of producing a dollar coin. So, the guvmint has tried several times now, to persuade us to accept a dollar coin. The American public has outright refused, each time. Going from a bill to a coin makes perfect sense on paper (no pun). But we just don't care. We'd rather absorb the cost of printing the bills. The same would be the case, if the guvmint suggested doing away with pennies or nickels.

Bo-4

Senator
Craig.. after some thought, i say down with coins period. How much fun would it be to see advertisements for $55 or $95 or $199? Screw the $299.95 crap is what i say.

Keep the buck.. what can you buy for less than that? Gumballs? Fine.. put them in 12-packs.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Craig.. after some thought, i say down with coins period. How much fun would it be to see advertisements for $55 or $95 or $199? Screw the $299.95 crap is what i say.

Keep the buck.. what can you buy for less than that? Gumballs? Fine.. put them in 12-packs.
You do have a point Bo...I've always hated that 99 cent silliness. Like speakers....$150!!! each! Hey..it's stereo...nobody buys one speaker. (OK...maybe after you blow one listening to...uh...megadeth)

And of course...replacing the bills with coins might endanger the health of strippers...

Bo-4

Senator
Doesn't everyone just use credit cards nowadays anyway? Get rid of all physical money!!! :D
I wish they did Dave, but i just got back from the grocery store. There was a little old lady in front of me writing a check."What did you say young man.. how much was that again?"

OMG.. THEN she started writing and it wasted a solid 5 minutes of my time (each letter was a good 10 seconds followed by her need to enter and subtract from her balance).

Down with check writing at a busy grocery store! :mad2:

Hey wait, as long as we're venting, what about a coupon LIMIT. Like you can use a maximum of 5 on each visit. How many coupon queens with 50 of them have you waited behind where the manager had to intervene on some?

Don't get me started! :yell:

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Doesn't everyone just use credit cards nowadays anyway? Get rid of all physical money!!! :D
Not until "the man" gets a processing machine...

A cashless society is a heavily monitored society. The financial institutions don't need to know what I spend every dollar on...

:anon::hippie:

Days

Commentator
there is a very simple solution. Put an identifying mark on our foreheads and/or back of hands (it doesn't have to be visible) that can be scanned. Then run every transaction online, which is already happening when you use a debit card or credit card. All we need now is a personal master transaction account set up to handle that traffic for each individual to decide where to draw the funding for their daily lives from. All of this technology exists already and it would get rid of currency altogether.

Revelation 13:

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Bo-4

Senator
You do have a point Bo...I've always hated that 99 cent silliness. Like speakers....$150!!! each! Hey..it's stereo...nobody buys one speaker. (OK...maybe after you blow one listening to...uh...megadeth)

And of course...replacing the bills with coins might endanger the health of strippers...
You read my mind! Gotta have dollar bills in a strip joint unless you want to leave with zero.

Speaking of Speakers.. buy these: OmG!!

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/

NightSwimmer

Senator
What we need to do is to issue a New Currency valued at ten times the current value of Old Currency. Inflation has skewed the value of our money over the years. We simply need to make a sensible correction in our currency's valuation and we can keep the same denominations that we have traditionally used.

That's the only way that folks under a certain age could ever learn the true value of a dollar. It's been a while since a dollar has had any value to speak of. Gasoline would be $0.35 per gallon. A loaf of bread, twenty cents. You could buy a new car for two or three thousand bucks. Of course, minimum wage would be $0.73 per hour.

fairsheet

Senator
I have to admit...I'm not doing a lot of crucial listening these days...and don't own a good set of speakers. Shameful, really.

B&W has been a fave for along time...

I know somebody who has some of these:

http://www.magnepan.com/
My proudest buy, once I got to a position where I could afford the nicer things, was a pair of Martin Logans. But, I had to go to E-Bay to find a 70's era 2-channel receiver sufficient to drive them properly. Although...I notice that they're just starting to make and market quality 2-channel amps and receivers again.

Back in the day, Dahlquist made the speakers to die for. So, before I bought the Martin Logans, I considered picking up a pair of Dahlquists on the used market. But...then I did a little research and figured out than even as they're just speakers, they're like buying a used Ferrari. They require maintanance - some of which can be pretty expensive, so you'd damn well better know what you're getting into!

Bo-4

Senator
But...then I did a little research and figured out than even as they're just speakers, they're like buying a used Ferrari. They require maintanance - some of which can be pretty expensive, so you'd damn well better know what you're getting into!
Dude.. seriously, maintenance on a speaker? No thanks!! You buy it, you crank it, you smile!!

Jen

Senator
When I lived in Italy the 1 Lira coin was pretty worthless........less than an American penny. Sometimes when change in single Liras was required, I would get a few penny candies instead of coins.

Maybe we could eliminate making pennies, avoid things that required pennies in change,but if it happened, use a few Jolly Ranchers or M&M's instead.

Days

Commentator
try storing them in your pocket with the rest of your change, and then see what comes up the next time you reach for that change... ;)

James

Council Member
Dave, I just heard that on CNN, I'd say get rid of the dime and find something less expensive to make the nickel. If they got rid of the penny I'm afraid retailers would march in the streets.

No more $5.99 etc and have to post $6.00....we all know it's $6 but our mind looks at the 5 and that's what they count on. Why else would they price something $99.00 and not $100.

I just couldn't believe they were paying that much to make those two coins.
What about the gas stations that still use fractions of pennies in their pricing? $2.999/gallon for example. They're way behind in rounding lol.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I read that it costs 2.4 cents to make a penny and 11.2 cents for each nickel. The U.S. Mint is discussing changing the mix of metals to make it less expensive. Apparently the administrative cost of making a penny costs half a penny.

I personally think we should get rid of pennies, nickels, and dimes.

What do you think?
I certainly agree we should get rid of pennies.

BRU

Mayor
I read that it costs 2.4 cents to make a penny and 11.2 cents for each nickel. The U.S. Mint is discussing changing the mix of metals to make it less expensive. Apparently the administrative cost of making a penny costs half a penny.

I personally think we should get rid of pennies, nickels, and dimes.

What do you think?

pennies, nickles and dimes come in handy, especially pennies when you go over 1cent at the pump! <<<<I do that constantly LOL I say change the mix of metals.